PDA

View Full Version : This thing is HUGE!

Avonlea,PA
01/08/2003, 05:17 PM
I just receievd my dual 400W PFO MH system from Marine Depot today. The ballast is huge! It's about 30lbs. Does anyone else here have this same ballast? I'm wondering where I should put it.

Here are my two options, I think:

I'm placing my tank angled in the corner of my living room, so I have some space behind the tank stand. I thought about making a support for it out of PVC to raise it up off the floor a few inches and placing it there.

The second thought was to actually hang it inside my tank stand, using some screw eyes attached to the inside top of the stand (4 of them), and then attach a piece of wire between them to support the ballast. Does that make sense?

Any ideas from anybody?

H.I.D. KEVIN
01/08/2003, 06:58 PM
........I made a hanger\stand for mine today. My hood is 2 250s and 2 VHOs, so the ballast box has got to be atleast 50 lbs. My set up is a behind the wall viewing tank. So, I have some room to expand, and I ended up installing a well vented box for it to sit in at the top of the ceiling. It has 6+ inches in all directions for cooling. I used my nail gun to put "way to many" 3 1\2 inche nails into the 2x4s. Didn't want it falling on my head!
........When I got it in the mail over Christmas, the box holding the ballast box was so heavy that both UPS drivers had to carry it into my garage for my wife. I was looking at the box for the last couple weeks wondering where I was going to put this "monster"!!!!!! Well, its up.
........good luck with yours........H.I.D...KEVIN......OVER........

DgenR8
01/10/2003, 10:46 AM
Don't put that thing under your tank, the heat transfer can be a serious problem.
Behind your tank can be difficult, if you need to get at it for maintenance, and you want to be certain it can't get wet back there. To keep it dry, and dissipate the heat without effecting your tank temp., put it high behind your tank as far fom the tank as you can get it.