PDA

View Full Version : tank setup help

calisurfer
01/08/2003, 03:50 PM
i am almost finished setting up my new 100g tank but i need some suggestions. (it will be a fish only for now)

Here is what i have
-100g acrylic tank with an internal durso standpipe (compact design) and also 3 hole drilled for a closed loop circulation system
-precision marine bullet 1 skimmer w/ a sen 90 pump

What i am thinking of getting
-1 iwaki 960gal per hour for the closed loop (japanese motor)

now what i need the help with... sump/wet dry filter...
I am thinking i want a
-20 or 30 gallon acrylic sump so that i can have the wet/dry filter in it and have the skimmer drain into it (external)
-another iwaki pump to return the sump water to the tank... (but i dont know what size pump i need :o/ ???)
-lighting 2 or 3 NO fluorecent bulbs and a blue a actinic ???

any help would be great! thanks!

calisurfer
01/08/2003, 05:30 PM
wow, so many replys

MalHavoc
01/08/2003, 05:30 PM
The size of your return pump depends on a couple of things. It depends on how much your overflow in the tank can handle. If your overflow can only drain 300 gph, that's the max you'll be able to put back in the tank, no matter how powerful the pump is. You also have to figure out if you need a pump that can pump against a lot of head pressure, since some people put their sumps in a basement.

This link (http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001IQZx4wqVOtMXEc0m7x8/Products/Pumps/pumps.html?link=/Products/Pumps/iwaki.html)
has a chart down at the bottom that will help you decide what size pump you need, if you want to go with Iwaki.