PDA

View Full Version : Can Acros thrive under 4x96W PC?

Mr.Yuk
01/08/2003, 03:39 PM
I have 75G with 4x 96W PC lamps - two white (10000k) and two actinics (from hellolights). Do you guys think acros can thrive and grow under this lighting, if they are real close to the surface? Has anyone done this?

MalHavoc
01/08/2003, 05:40 PM
If they are really close to the surface, probably, but don't expect them to grow as quickly as they would under MH. You'd be able to keep some of the lesser light-loving (say that three times fast) species of Montipora or Acropora yongei, for instance, and they'd probably do well. Try to keep something like Acropora humilis, and you'll probably lose it.

Mr.Yuk
01/09/2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks. Do you think perhaps the addition of 2 more 96w pc's would help?

MalHavoc
01/09/2003, 08:22 AM
Sure, but then you're already past what you'd get with 2x250w MH, and MH would probably still do a better job at growing SPS corals because they are point sources with more PAR.

I'm thinking that 6x96w PC lighting would probably start to get a little hot too. Any cooling solutions in mind?

Mr.Yuk
01/09/2003, 08:26 AM
That's my concern too... It gets about as hot as I want it to get already with my current lighting, and a fan. I range 82-84 typically, and I dont think I can afford a chiller!

MalHavoc
01/09/2003, 08:28 AM
Ack, yeah, you don't really want it much hotter than that.

Any way you could increase the size of your sump or something? More water volume would give you a temperature that is more stable, and also let you probably add a second fan to increase evaporation. Might help keep things cool.

Mr.Yuk
01/09/2003, 09:24 AM
My sump's about 20G now....expanding is a good idea but I'm out of space under the aquarium and there is no other house space available to me [per wife's orders]. I haven't tried putting a fan on the sump (I have one on the canopy) though that could help. Maybe I'll try hooking up a fan to run in the afternoons and keep the temp closer to 82?

MalHavoc
01/09/2003, 10:04 AM
Yeah, for sure. that'd be something to try. You'd increase your water evaporation rate, which will help keep things cooler. Just get a desk fan or something.

musicsmaker
01/09/2003, 11:17 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to order the same kit only with 2 6,500K, 1 10,000K/actinic 03, and 1 actinic bulbs. I like softies, but a nice colorful sps or two would be nice to have. Maybe a clam. By the way Mr.Yuk, what do you think about those lights in general? Hate to hear about the heat issue, as I didn't think it would be a problem. Do you have a heater?

David P
01/10/2003, 09:01 AM
I have a 60 g with 4x96. When I first set it up I had some heat issues, I have put the lights on a pair of 4x4s with eggcrait over the openings (jawfish) and now the heat stays down. I have a few Montiporas doing quite well, I also have a capracornus but it doesnt look so hot... I dont think its a lighting issue though. I had a small frag of blue tip acrapora for about 2 weeks at the very top of my tank and it turned brown.

Mr.Yuk
01/10/2003, 09:44 AM
Actually I have a clam (t. maximus) that has been doing very well since I got him 3 months ago. Good sized new calcium ring evident on margin below mantle. He sits about 3" from the surface.

Musicmaker - I am actually very pleased with the lights. I Do have a heater that kicks in when the temp gets around 80 [at night.] Usually in the AM it's around 81, but by the time the lights go out its around 84. I have the 4 lamps mounted on a hood, sitting about 4-5 inches from the surface, one small computer fan cooling things down (maybe not by much!) but I haven't considered the temp to be a problem at this point, esp. if you follow dr. shimek's temperature guidelines. I think those lights are the bes you can get for the $$ and without very much of a heat issue.

If you want to keep it below 80 degrees though, like with conventional theory, then you may have a problem with any light you use. What kind of lights do you have now?

My softies have been growing like mad. I have some montipora that has been doing okay - some growth but not a ton.