PDA

View Full Version : Film on top of water?

Aaron1100us
01/08/2003, 01:16 PM
When I look at the top of the water from underneath, the water that isn't disturbed by the flow of the powerhead looks like it has some kind of film on it. Kind of a whitish film. I don't have a calcium test kit and I do add Seachem reef calcium as per instructions on bottle. One and a half cap fulls twice a week. I suppose I won't know if I added too much since I don't have a test for that. Any ideas on what it could be? Any more info needed, let me know. Thanks. Everything looks happy and healthy, just courious on if I added too much of something. Oh, I also add coral vite, filter food, iodine and the reef calcium as per instructions. Thanks

3_high_low
01/08/2003, 01:32 PM
Aaron,

This is normal waste production for a reef aquarium. IME it will occur even without additives. But the surface scum should be swept away and into the overflow (if you have one) so that it doesn't block light or hinder gas exchange.

Pete
01/08/2003, 02:39 PM
Some more surface agitation should get rid of it.

Pepito
01/08/2003, 04:10 PM
Placing regular printer paper on the surface of the water will attract to the DOM's floating on top. When you remove the paper, you remove the extra DOM's. It works pretty well if you have a small tank without overflows or a sump.

Whisperer
01/08/2003, 04:22 PM
Hmm...I was trying to fix one Maxi-jet powerhead this morning and noticed grease inside the impeller. I wonder if these powerheads have something to do with these "oil spills." Turned out there was a lot of deposits in the metal shaft that prevented this powerhead from working. Once cleaned, it started working again. Whew, I was thinking of tossing it.

DNA
01/08/2003, 04:37 PM
If it's a good film, I'd just watch it!

L and L
01/08/2003, 05:30 PM
hehe, funny DNA.

I would think that if you are getting this surface film... that you do not have an overflow. If you do have an overflow... then it needs to be tweaked.

My 30g is sumpless and skimmerless (just LR, LS, flame angel, 2 brittle starfish, 2 rock anemones (4", 6")) ... and every week or so... I take off the N.O. lights and glass top... take some paper towels, unwind 3 feet and drop it onto the surface. After a few turns like this... the surface scum is gone.

I would remove it like 3_high_low said.