PDA

View Full Version : would this be a good deal on lights

silvercvic
01/07/2003, 10:53 PM
I went to a lfs and they had an ad for a JBJ 4x55 48" for $299. I believe its a complete hood, lights, fans, even with the little legs to sit on the tank...would this be a good deal or just average price? Anyone know of a place that sells lights for cheaper

gobygoby
01/07/2003, 11:38 PM
Silvercvic,
It might be a good deal. I work at an LFS in Indiana, and we sell JBJ lights. We sell something like that for around 300-400 dollars. So its not really that great of savings. maybe a little, but nothing major. I would not recomend JBJ at all!!!! Being in the business, I have seen way to many lights come back because the fans stopped working, ballasts died, or the bulbs burn out very fast on them. Also, the thin plexiglass shield that comes on them becomes brittle between 6 months and a years use and turns yellow and begins to crack. Personally, i think JBJ is crap. Sorry if I offend any JBJ owners, but thats my personal expierence. I however like custom sea life. I have used many of these lights my self. They are strong, sturdy ballasts and same for the bulbs. if your going to spend that kind of money on lights, you can get just as good of lights or better from places on the net( premium aquatics for one.) sorry if I disappointed you but just thought you might like to know.

Goby

Fishguru
01/07/2003, 11:59 PM
I guess the Question i would have to ask, is what size tank. You might be able to get a dual 175 MH w/ bulbs for that price and could keep much better variety of corals. Just my $.02-Guru

silvercvic
01/08/2003, 12:24 AM
this is for a 55 gal for now, I would like to go with a bigger tank in the future and I would like use the same lights for those. Lights sure are expensive. Would that hang from the ceiling or is there brackets that can mount to the tank. Can you tell me where I can get those lights? Thanks

Ratbattey
01/08/2003, 03:40 AM
I want to state clearly up front that this is just my opinion, but I would avoid JBJ like I would avoid copper in a reef. Over priced, the end caps fail, bulbs are hard to find an on and on. At my friend store at least one in five are brought back for replacement or repair.

That said, I do have a set on my 72 bowfront and I do like the fact that I have individual controls for the bulbs.

For the money I have had much better results with VHO. It's a little more up front (you need seperate ballasts for actinic and daylight for individual control) but the bulbs are cheaper, the endcaps are nearly indestructable and I prefere the look of the light. VHO also has the benefit of being easily adapted to many different layouts of number and lenghts of bulbs within the ballasts capacity.