PDA

View Full Version : Purple Fire Fish

mojo215
12/29/2002, 08:58 AM
Just bought a pair. Very small. Put them in the tank and two of my other fish are chasing them into the rock.

Now I havn't seen them for awhile. One came out this morning and was immediatley chased back into the rock.

Should I leave the situation alone, or get rid of the two threatning ones. Had them a long time. They won't kill them, they just are a little aggresive.

I'm worried about the fire fish.:(

rlp
12/29/2002, 09:50 AM
You are right to be worried. Firefish are very timid. They need placid, non-aggressive tankmates or they will constantly hide & starve. I have a purple firefish that is doing well in a passive community tank (gobies, cardinal). Rita

ChrisPrusha
12/29/2002, 12:25 PM
What else do you have in the tank? Are they eating? It's been my experience that these guys need to start eating within 3 or 4 days or they're done. I had one that hid almost constantly, but did come out briefly for food every day. I had him for 2+ years...he was such a cutie!

Chris

mojo215
12/29/2002, 12:32 PM
A Pecula, tang, dottyback, Which seems a little aggresive. One of the firefish died. It was a teeny little thing. I don't think it was eating in the store.

THe other one is poking his head out and took some flake food.

I got rid of the two really aggresive ones. I put them in the sump. I hope they'll be o.k.

How are they with cleaner and peppermint shrimp?

ChrisPrusha
12/29/2002, 12:46 PM
Well, if he's eating that's certainly a good thing. It may take some time for everyone to get used to everyone else. When adding more docile fish to a tank, I often change around the rockwork...that sometimes puts everyone on a level playing field (territorial speaking).

Who did you put in the sump? How big is your sump (and your main tank)? With the firefish eating I'd wait at most a few days and then put them back in the main tank.

I think your shrimp will be fine with the firefish.

Finally, please take the following as advice and not as preaching: Do research on potential new inhabitants before adding them...it will save you a lot of headaches later! :)

Good luck!

Chris

mojo215
12/29/2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks Chris, I did do research. However, the two I put in the sump (20)gl I got at Petco. They where little bits of things and they grew. The name they had for them was way wrong. I cannot find any pictures of them. I think they are some sort of wrasse but not sure.

They are organge with a bluish/purplish stripe going from their face down their back. They are almost ribbon like. Very fast swimmers and darters. THey eat anything and everything. I just hope they are O.K. I see one of them but cannot find the other.

It's dark in there so they are probably resting. I changed all the rock around. I had it setup so good. Now its a mess.

While I have you I would like to vent and get your feeling on something.

I ordered some live rock (cured online the other day. It was supposed to be full of life and coraline.

What I got for almost 300.00 was white base rock and broken pieces of coral. I cannot say who I got this from because I was promised my money back. If I don't get it you and everyone will surely know who this was.

When I put this rock in this chalky film filled my tank and now I have a dusty look to my water that won't go away.

Thanks for letting me vent. My tank looked better before I tried to add the rock. Now it's not so good but I am not changing it.

Sandy

ChrisPrusha
12/29/2002, 01:28 PM
The "dusty look" should go away...just be patient! Sorry to hear about your experience...unfortunately you're not the first or last that this has happened to. Have you considered "seeding" your base rock with a coraline-covered piece of LR? Under good conditions coraline does grow and spread relatively quickly. I have also heard that the bacteria contained on a good piece of live rock can also assist in ridding your tank of that "dusty look".

Good luck, Sandy...and keep us posted!

Chris