PDA

View Full Version : What brand of salt do you use

Sir Knight
12/26/2002, 05:29 PM
Will Gang,
Why don't we have a poll to see what is the brand of salt this club is using.

If you say Other please name the Brand
Joe W.

Mr Neutron
12/26/2002, 05:39 PM
I voted Red Sea because that is what I am using now. Normally I get Instant Ocean if there isn't a big sale on RS.

Pikelet
12/26/2002, 07:33 PM
I use two types currently.

Biosea for some tanks and Instant Ocean for others.

My preferred salt is Tropic Marin but I haven't seen large quantities for sale in the Orlando area so its either shop at Big Al's Online or stay with what I'm using.

stevemc
12/26/2002, 07:41 PM
I use natural sea water, always have. In fact I have never used artificial salt water. I have used it my whole life, even helped Dad when I was little, in the very early 60s. As a matter of fact we used sand from under the low tide zone and rocks with life on it, way back then also. I feel some things need the real saltwater. I only,mainly, get it when it is a high or near high tide, the water is very clean. When I get it, I usually dose with Seachem Calcium and Reefbuilder to get it up to reef specs. For fish only tanks I dont. Sometimes I will have several 55 gallon drums of salt water left over from a water change, and will look in a couple weeks later and see many feather dusters and other colonies on the sides. That is the only drawback, life you may not want. I did introduce coralline algea and feather dusters in some tanks that had no live rock, and it was a pain to clean the glass,as these were clownfish and neon goby breeding/fry rearing tanks. This got worse when the salinity got stronger for some reason. I leave these drums outside. No areation or circulation. I quess I did not answer but thats what I use. Steve.:)

Sir Knight
12/26/2002, 08:11 PM
Hi Pikelet,
I think Ocean Blue is stocking Tropic Marin
Hope This Helps
Joe W.

smpolyp
12/26/2002, 08:19 PM
stevemc I agree that natural seawater is the best,but have also seen tanks crash from it. I think it all depends on when and or where you get the water
My pick(aside from pure natural seawater)is Tropic Marin. Not just from (mine and others)testing,or the chemicals used look alot like purer/quality forms of chemicals, but the results.
Did I condense that to much?

stevemc
12/26/2002, 09:26 PM
I have heard that natural sea water does not have much buffer sometimes. That is why I do supplement prior and afterwards. I would do that with fake sea water also. Do you guys bring it up to specs, ie, calcium 420+, alk 6+, etc , before adding it to tank? Or after adding? Steve.

Pikelet
12/27/2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by jwall1
I think Ocean Blue is stocking Tropic Marin
Hope This Helps
Joe W.

Thanks Joe. I'll check out their prices and see how they compare.

Sir Knight
12/27/2002, 03:07 PM
Gang,
Here is the reason I am taking this poll.
If most of the people in the club use IO salt or would use IO if the price was right.
What I am trying to do is work out a deal (better Price) with Ocean Blue on the 200 gal buckets, if we buy a pallets worth.
He (Vin) will give me the details tonight so far it looks like he can meet Pet warehouses price But lets see I we can do better. I will update this message tonight.
I will not post the price or details on this board. I will post it on our website and let the officers of the club know the details.

Ok I have the deal in place. Go to the ORCA web site on the benefits page for the details. look at OceanBlue for the details. We will need someone locally to handle the transaction

I am just trying to help the club with thier salt costs.

Joe W.

Sir Knight
12/27/2002, 06:32 PM
Gang,
I have the deal in place. Go to the ORCA web site on the benefits page for the details. look at OceanBlue We will need someone locally to handle the transaction

Joe W.