PDA

View Full Version : Clown Specific Diseases?

MarkF
12/23/2002, 09:56 AM
I was wondering if there are any clown specific diseases?

I have a 75G RR tank that I have up and running for about 6 months since I moved, before that it was 4 years old. I have a variety of SPS and softies and a handful of fish. I have acros, montis, hydnos, leathers, xenia, shrooms etc. I also have a yellow tang, a hippo tang, a cleaner wrasse, a snowflake moray eel, and a yellow tailed damsel.

Over the last 2 months, I've been adding false percs but they keep dying. A few small ones became a snack for my eel (expensive lesson). But 3 larger ones died within a week of adding them. (I tried adding pairs 3 times over that 2 month period).

What I'm wondering if there is something specific that is only affecting the clowns. Everything else in the tank is doing great. Just for the record I've never observed the yellow tail harassing anyone. Removal of the dead or sick clowns did not show any nips or bites either.

Any thoughts?

Eric Boerner
12/23/2002, 12:20 PM
Brooklynella hostilis effects Clowns worse than other fish. Many clowns caught from the wild have it. It'll usually manifest itself within 2 to 3 weeks of being shipped. If it's in your tank, you'll effect any new clowns introduced immediately and they'll peg it in 2 to 3 weeks. Sounds like what you've got.

Read this though, these are the tell-tale signs. Half way down the page.

Brooklynella hostilis (http://www.aquarium.net/0497/0497_6.shtml)

MarkF
12/23/2002, 01:17 PM
Unfortunately, I think you nailed it. I had a devestating loses a little over a month ago, which I attributed to a dead animone that I didn't notice for a few days. In the course of 4 days I lost 5 fish, with similar symtoms to that article. I tried freshwater dips but it didn't help.

I've tried 2 clown pairs since and lost them all. So now I have 3 fish left w/o any noticeable symptoms, my water quality is dead on, and the last clown died on Saturday. What do I do? How do I rid the tank of this parasite? I can't add much in terms of chemicals to that tank b/c of the corals.

Suggestions?

Eric Boerner
12/23/2002, 02:55 PM
Personally I'd run UV or Ozone through the system for a few months to ensure it's gone before adding anymore Clowns. That should kill off any more parasites that are floating around. Get the water nice and cleaned up, then do occassional ozone or UV treatments once or twice a month.