PDA

View Full Version : Not another Acrylic VS Glass Thread!!!

seandanekind
12/21/2002, 01:13 PM
Yep.

IF (big if) I land the new job I'm trying for, I'll be getting a new tank.

I'm thinking about moving the reef from a 200 Oceanic in the family room into a larger, new tank in the basement (and move all the filtration and refugium into the utility room).

If I do, I'll get the largest tank that will fit thru the doorway (about 350 gallons or 82"x36" x30"). That said, the weight of a glass tank would be nearly impossible to move with 6 guys and very littel maneuvering room.

And no, I don't want to build a DIY tank. I do want teh tank to be just small enough that I can get it back out of the house if I ever move...

Any good advice on who makes the best custom tanks (big manufacturers and independants)?

I've also heard of a new process where they add a scratch resistant surface to the inner wall. Anyone heard of that??

Should I just forget acrylic and plan on the pain of moving a 750 lb glass tank?

Any comments??

Merry Christmas!!

slipknottin
12/21/2002, 01:16 PM
Why not find an aquarium company that will come to your home and assemble a large glass tank on site?

seandanekind
12/21/2002, 01:31 PM
That's a thought.

I'd still want it to be small enough to be removeable (again, 82x36x30).

That, and it would probably cost a lot more (just guessing) to have it built onsite than beer and pizza for my friends to help move it.

Also, if it fails a leak test in my basement, that would be quite a mess...

I'm still leaning toward Acrylic because moving my 200 into the house was a major Pain In The @$$.

Anyone got thoughts on the scratch resistant coatings??

acropora
12/21/2002, 01:34 PM
I have the same predicament,including the financial aspect.I have limited access to the basement because of a narrow hallway. I have a glass 220 now.It was a real pain getting it down the basement. I am tempted by the lighter weight of acrylic.I have heard about the coating(as much as $400 add.),but have not heard any feedback from someone who actually has it.Maybe someone will jump in.I think that slipknottin is right about having one built on site.I would like a tank wider than would fit through my hallway,so onsite glass will be the way to go.I am hesitant because I hate to set it up and then decide that I want to move,even after a few years it would be a problem. I'll probably go acrylic and save the dream tank for my next move or not.
:p

tstone
12/21/2002, 01:35 PM
I would go with the acrylic. I have not heard about A scratch resistance coating. I have an acryilic and have not had a problem with scratches. I am careful though.

acropora
12/21/2002, 01:40 PM
The 1999 Marine Fish and Reef annual magazine has a tank built onsite owned by Gregory Schiemer.It deals with the issues/concerns that you have.It is a 10'x30"x32"(lxwxh).If you can get a hold of this issue it is right up your alley way. For his Stand,he used two steel "I" beams spanned across the sides which were made of concrete block.This allowed a wide open space under the tank for a sump.I have a separate room for the sump,but it was a sturdy stand,to say the least.If you can not get your hands on a copy,I can send you photo copies of the article.You can send me an E mail if interested. Anthony

myreef
12/21/2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by seandanekind
Yep.

Should I just forget acrylic and plan on the pain of moving a 750 lb glass tank?

Any comments??

Merry Christmas!!

A tank with those dimensions (82x36x30) will weight much more than 750 pounds. I would go at least double that. My acrylic tank 84x36x30 weighed in at 600 pounds and took 4 of us to pick it up and place it on the stand. No way would I ever get glass in a tank this large, just for the shear weight and inconvenience of moving it. yes, you only have to move it once (if you are lucky), but I can not imagine that big of a tank in glass. My acrylic tank is 1" thick and does not have any scratches on it (yet), but I am careful....Just take your time cleaning the acrylic and don't be in too much of a hurry and it will look great on year 5 as it does on year 1.

Good luck with your decision!

seqcgr
12/21/2002, 05:28 PM
I recently got a used 300 gallon acryclic that didn't have a scratch on it. After one month with me it's got lots of squiggly sctratches on one side. I have a very large Guinea puffer that puts his nose on the tank and wags his butt like a madman when he's hungry (which is always!). His beak scratches the tank.:(
Oh well.

Big E
12/21/2002, 06:05 PM
I've been debating the acrylic/glass thing through my mind also. I don't have the problems of access as my sliding doors are plenty wide & only 10 feet from the tank site.

My LFS owner told me that he knows a guy that moved a 400g glass tank from InterAmer. with 8 guys.

Andy, no offense, but isn't your tank only about 2 months old. I hope it doesn't have scratches yet;) I'm sure it will still look good years from now........... I was scanning your thread.........loookin good.

I have a 180 acrylic that's ten years old. It has scratches, but I've been careless at times, mainly letting coralline get on the front. Also the usual sand stuck on the magnet accident.

Heck, my glass tanks have scratches...........I'm a scratch monster, no way around it.