PDA

View Full Version : how do I detach mushrooms and replace in another tank?

danman
01/20/2001, 05:05 PM
I'd like to take some of the mushrooms out of my FO and put into my reef...how do I do this?

I've read about doing it, but would like to hear some personal experiences

thanks

wsurf4me
01/20/2001, 06:41 PM
I've chopped up a few shrooms and had no problems, luckily its pretty hard to killem. GARF has a few good articles about it, I've always used bridal veil to hold them on the rock until they attach. If you can, get really sharp scissors and cut them as close to the rock as possible. Also watch out for them squirting (peeing?) when you cut them, suprised me the first time I did it!

danman
01/21/2001, 12:02 AM
Ok I did it...just with on shroom to see how it goes..I cut it with a razor blade quick and close to the rock...I'm holding it onto another rock with a rubber band...????

I didn't get any squirt (pee)...maybe I missed it. what is it? they are not toxins are they?

thanks

grizz
01/21/2001, 11:52 PM
chances are the rubberband wont hold it, or it will cut it.. I use the bridal vail method.. or I let it just sit on the bottom of the tank w/crushed coral in a slow current area, then after a week or so it attaches to a bunch of crushed coral.. then I superglue the crushed coral to the rock I want it on.. usually the mushroom starts to move once glued onto a rock.. but thats ok, because it leaves little babies behind on the way!!