PDA

View Full Version : Frag Swap Invitation

chriss
12/09/2002, 01:19 PM
I know it's a two hour drive from Orlando to Jax., but if anyone would like to attend our Frag Swap meeting this Sunday in Jacksonville, you are welcome to come! It will be held from 3 pm to 5 pm.

If you are interested or think you might be able to attend, please e-mail me for more info at chriss@stis.net.

Chris

scubadude
12/10/2002, 07:57 AM
Man that sounds awesome....But I live in Pt. Charlotte, Florida and that would be like a 6 hr drive for me....but ya know I think we all could use some diversity exchange from you boys up in JAX! Are you a member of a club up there Chris? I wish I could go but unfortunately my time schedule will probably not permit me to. Can you give us more specifics? Are you guys mostly into SPS ? Do you guys have a thread goin for this swap?

chriss
12/10/2002, 09:50 AM
Umm. Not all of us are boys! :) Yes, I'm the newest member of the local club. My tank is primarily SPS and I believe there are a few other members that have sps tanks, but a lot of them have soft tanks.

I do know that most of the meetings held by the NEFMAA has had poor attendance. That is the reason I am inviting other area club members (ie gainesville & orlando - if you know of other groups not too far away let me know and I'll invite them as well). Also, thought A Christmas time frag swap would be really great for everyone! I wish I had been able to give more notice, but I just found out yesterday that my request to have meeting at my house was approved.

Since I have never done this before (the frag swap was my idea) I am open to suggestions. The club president was suppose to e-mail all of the club members last night and then get back with me, so I don't have a way of contacting all of them directly. I do know one of them is bringing pink trumpet coral frag's and a little calerpa, I have several varieties of sps that I'm trading for other really nice or rare sps. I also have pulsing xenia, colt coral, red & green hairy mushrooms and clove polyps if I can figure out how to get them off the rocks without tearing them up.

Do you have anything to trade? And do you know of other members of Orca that would be interested? I do have a thread in the trading forum titled Florida/Georgia Frag Swap, we could post items in that.

Christina

scubadude
12/11/2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by chriss
Umm. Not all of us are boys! :)

OOOPS, Im sorry it really is just figurative speech, but is totally the wrong verbage to use ;)

Originally posted by chriss
Also, thought A Christmas time frag swap would be really great for everyone!

I think you are TOTALLY on cue here Christina! But I think the major problem is that everyone is so darn busy this time of year. I Have been down to FMAS (Florida Marine Aquarium Society in Miami) and the TBRC (Tampa Bay Reef Club) have expressed (As well as ORCA) interest in a possible state wide frag trade organization and Im sure it wouldnt even take a twist of ORCA (Orlando Reef Club) arm to be the host of it in Orlando. My thoughts are that this would be awesome for spring, watcha think? We would have plenty of time to get the word out. My thoughts is that if we had Jacskonville, Tampa, Miami, Orlando all combined into one spot then your gonna draw darn near every other hardcore reefer in the state as well. This could produce some REALLY nice frags!

Sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread :) Wish I could make it up there for this one but I will be too busy :rolleyes:

Bubba
12/11/2002, 09:33 AM
Chris,

FYI, there was (is) a club in Daytona.

I have no idea if they are still in existance or
not. One of the reef shops in Daytona sponsored
it. Maybe some surfing might turn something up.

I have done some trading with a few people over there
but since my pc crashed I don't have any email addresses.
Might be a source of some new members for your
group. And they are only a hour or so away from you.

Paul

chriss
12/11/2002, 10:14 AM
scubadude,
That sounds like a good idea. Spring might be better since most ppl are busy from the holidays. I'll mention it at the meeting Sunday and see what they say.

Bubba,
I'll try to find it. Thanks for the info.

Chris

smpolyp
12/11/2002, 11:41 PM
Hey Chriss
Thank You for posting. I see road trip a ahead.
Rocky calls everyone "Dude" that he likes. The Holidays have gotten most of us strapped. What time frame is good for you? We have our meetings on the last sat of each month until Nov. Then we switch for the holidays. Anyway some of us are addicts and need to attend every reef meeting we can. So if Rocky,Chuck,Brian,James,ECT need to crash at my house before we go to Jax. then they are welcome.

rylin
12/12/2002, 01:07 AM
JFYI: the reef club in daytona was set up by Coral reef express, a local store.. it never got off the ground at all though so its no longer in existance :-|

chriss
12/12/2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by smpolyp
Hey Chriss
Thank You for posting. I see road trip a ahead.
Rocky calls everyone "Dude" that he likes. The Holidays have gotten most of us strapped. What time frame is good for you? We have our meetings on the last sat of each month until Nov. Then we switch for the holidays. Anyway some of us are addicts and need to attend every reef meeting we can. So if Rocky,Chuck,Brian,James,ECT need to crash at my house before we go to Jax. then they are welcome.

ME Confused :crazy1:

Are a group of you coming this Sunday or are you wanting to know a good time frame for later?

Bocaswim
12/12/2002, 07:15 PM
Keep us South Florida folks in mind when you'all plan the major spring frag swap. There is not much of an organized club down this way, but I know of plenty of area reefers (don't worry Newreeflady, you can come too :) ) who are looking to add some diversity to their SPS crops.

Keep in mind that plenty of notice would need to go out so that people can start growing out their frags.

Have a good time this weekend.

chriss
12/12/2002, 07:27 PM
Bocaswim,
Don't worry, I'll give plenty of notice next time! See ya' next year...
Chris

smpolyp
12/14/2002, 03:52 PM
I was thinking more or a Jan or feb getogether. I would love to do it sooner, but the holidays are taking up most of our time right now. What day in Jan or Feb would be good for you. Our meetings are on the last saturday of each month if any would like to attend.

Sir Knight
12/14/2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Gang,
Instead of everyone trying to plan this (Frag Swap), why not ask the board of directors from each of the clubs to get together via email and come up with a date, time and place. This may save a lot of time and effort on everyone's part.

Just a suggestion.

Joe W.

BLUE LAGOON
12/15/2002, 05:58 PM
Well how did it go Chriss today with the frag swap.Again I'm really sorry we couldn't because of relatives in town.I saw this post you made.How some were very interested in a Spring swap.That would be great.Don't forget the people here in Tallahassee.A state wide meeting place.That would be awesome.Great way to meet people in our state.Exchange,sell their stuff.Count me in on this.Keep the people posted on this.If we could pull this off.Hey Chriss just maybe that Red Ricordia will split for you.
Keep in touch Florida reefkeepers.......
Curt

chriss
12/15/2002, 08:59 PM
Well, for my first frag swap, I think it went pretty well. Although I was a bit disappointed that more people couldn't make it. Will talk to Stuart about having another one next year, which I'm sure we will if more attend. There wasn't much sps besides mine, but there was a lot of softies and several lps.

Even though it was small, I really enjoyed it and look forward to either having another one, or attending one

I would really like to see a statewide frag swap! I would agree with Joe though that it should be coordinated through the Club President's or whomever organizes events for each club. If Stuart would like me to handle it, I would volunteer though.

My husband is letting me get another tank :D I will be using that one for soft corals and fish and my 90 will be for lps and sps.

Will need lots more frags! I would say April or May would be good months as that is when it starts warming up here and would be nice for traveling. Sooner than that and I would probably have to do it via ups.

Look forward to seeing you all!

Chris

smpolyp
12/18/2002, 10:41 PM
Ok lets make it April, since that is sooner. Lets make it in Orlando ,since it is central. How's that? It can be on the last saturday of that month and make a mesh with ORCA's meeting. Is this good for everyone? Maybe I will try and talk Rocky into having a talk on coral farming.

chriss
12/18/2002, 10:56 PM
That sounds like a great idea! Count me in... Give a set date, time, place etc and I will tell everybody here. It would also give me time to make room reservations.
Chris

BLUE LAGOON
12/22/2002, 10:24 AM
From the reefers here in Tallahasse,Fl.There is maybe 3 or 4 of us from here could make the road trip to Orlando.For this state wide frag meeting.This is just my 2 cents on this.Most of these meetings are always late in the afternoon around 3 or 5 PM.Which makes it hard for the ones that are driving to Orlando.For us it takes about 4 hours.How about and earlier meeting time.Because it would be really nice to attend.But also have the time to talk to some of these reefers that are here in Florida.Than having to get back on the road right away.Because of the drive home.
Curt

bmkindig
12/26/2003, 07:04 PM
bump
looking for friends in fla.for mom and dad.
thanks
brad

achilles1
12/31/2003, 05:00 PM
tag