PDA

View Full Version : What to do with wet/dry filter

I_Like_Fishies
12/09/2002, 03:29 AM
I am going to be getting a 4"-5" DSB pretty soon. I have a wet/dry filter with Bioballs in it and was wondering what I should do with it to reduce my nitrates. I've heard of taking all the bioballs out and filling the space up with LR and I've also heard of just leaving the space empty, which would be better?

Chin_monster
12/09/2002, 04:33 AM
I'd just take out the bioballs and leave the space empty, although there isn't anything wrong with putting liverock in the space. I am kind of fond of simplicity, fewer things to go wrong.

Just Fishing
12/09/2002, 09:09 AM
Ether way if fine but with the amount of live rock you already have you probably want need live rock in the wet/dry. I have a sponge in mine and also put carbon in it a few times a month. If you are having nitrate problems I wouldn’t use the sponge. I use live rock rubble in my sump which is another reason I didn’t add it to my wet/dry filter. If you are having nitrate problems and they don't go away after removing the bio balls try the live rock just make sure to remove the trickle plate so that the rock is fully submerged.