PDA

View Full Version : WooHooo!!!!

gketell
12/08/2002, 01:52 AM
My system passed the system "pressure test" after a few plumbing "re-dos" and is now filling with DI water!! :bounce2:

Sadly, due to poor household pressure, my 100GPD system is doing just over 1/2 that so it will be 6-7 days to fill the tank/sump/refugium. (My wife took pictures of the trickle of water dripping into the 8' tank because she thought it was so funny. "No respect. No respect at all.") :lol2:

But by next week I can buy my LR (which is almost fully cured) and some of the LS from Tropical Paradise and the tank will be ready to start settling in.

Keep your fingers crossed for this over-sized newbie.
GK

brvheart
12/08/2002, 06:44 AM
Keep your fingers crossed for this over-sized newbie.

You're not oversized! :D

Tenner
12/09/2002, 12:48 AM
G,

Let me know when you get the sand in. I can donate a couple of cups of sand from my tank to kick start your flora and fauna.

Good luck,
Matthew

reefboy1
12/09/2002, 11:02 AM
GK,

As I just filled mine last month, I know how frustrating it is to watch the drops pop out of the RO/DI. It took all the restraint I had to have the patience not to take out the hose and fill it straight from tap. It took my 100gpd unit 5 days to fill my system (which I though would be about 500 gallons).

Good luck with it. I can contribute some macro if you're interested.

Art

RustySnail
12/09/2002, 02:24 PM
If you are going to cure your new LR in your tank, I would suggest just using tapwater and a bunch of de-chlorinator (use 2x-3x the recommended amount). The reason is that the LR will generate lots of ammonia anyway, which will just turn to nitrate/phosphate (which is what you are trying to get rid of in tapwater with your RO). In the meantime make the RO and put it into trashcan(s) to have a supply of water for your waterchanges.

Don't put the LS in until you have let the water circulate for 24-48 hours with salt mixed in and dechlorinator. In fact, if you are going to seed your system and just use dead sand, wait until the LR has cycled first.

HTH...

Russ

gketell
12/09/2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by RustySnail
If you are going to cure your new LR in your tank, I would suggest just using tapwater and a bunch of de-chlorinator (use 2x-3x the recommended amount). The reason is that the LR will generate lots of ammonia anyway, which will just turn to nitrate/phosphate (which is what you are trying to get rid of in tapwater with your RO).
Unfortunately the water at our house is also VERY heavy in TDS (365 ppm from the tap) so the RO is also removing lots of "stuff" other than just nitrates/phosphates.

In the meantime make the RO and put it into trashcan(s) to have a supply of water for your waterchanges.

Don't put the LS in until you have let the water circulate for 24-48 hours with salt mixed in and dechlorinator. In fact, if you are going to seed your system and just use dead sand, wait until the LR has cycled first.

I'm planning on using LS and LR. Probably using the LS first so that it will help the water start to clear from the Argonite dust. At least I'm told that it will help. I guess I'll find out.

GK

anathema
12/10/2002, 01:34 AM
I hope you mean the dead sand as base with live sand froma tank to seed it?

I could laugh at the thought of you spending $80000000 dollars buying enough 20# bags of the prebagged wet live sand to put a sandbed in your tank, but that would be very mean.

gketell
12/10/2002, 01:59 AM
Yup, Argonite sand base (with one 50# bag of the unsifted dolomite sand) and then a bag or two of the LS from Tropical Creations (buying it tomorrow) and cups of live sand from any BARE folks who feel like donating it (and who have healthy tanks). :D ((hint hint please please))

Tank is now 1/2 full. Drywall over the tank on the living room side is up with first layer of mud. Things are moving along quite nicely.

GK

anathema
12/10/2002, 03:24 AM
Sounds like a very cool project.

I kind of wish we were having the frag meeting there just so i could ooh and aah. :D