PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator filter good or bad?

Crazygirl
12/05/2002, 04:23 PM
I know I should use RO/DI water but right now that is not something I can do. So my question is instead of tap water would I be better off to use the filtered water out of the refrigerator? I am asking cause it does have a filter . .would this be good or bad to do?

griss
12/05/2002, 05:03 PM
The refridgerator filter is simply a carbon filter that removes some organic compounds. They are generally not very efficient and don't really remove a lot. FWIW, I guess it would be better than just plain tap water.

Another thing you can try in your LFS or local grocery store. Both of these in my area sell RO water.

Griss

chewie
12/05/2002, 05:08 PM
I have a RO/DI and a Total Dissolved Solids meter. I also have a drinking water filter equipped with the fridge.

I was curious one day as to what the TDS of the drinking water from the fridge filter was.

I was shocked!!!!

Fresh from the tap my TDS was 50. Fresh from the fridge filter was 65:eek1:

Turns out that you have to flush out the lines in the fridge by filling a glass (or 4 in my case) and then drink/use.

I wouldn't suggest it for a reef tank.

If you were to use it for your aquarium then you probably want to use a de-chlorinator.

The filter probably removes some of the chlorine/chloramine, and sediment but not much else.

Check out www.aquaticreefsystems.com They have some good deals!!!

Jon

Transam
12/05/2002, 08:33 PM
I am a glutton for punishment. I really can't afford the upfront for a ro/di unit so I bought 3, 5 gallon jugs from Walmart and it cost about $1.50 to fill them up. It works just fine for a temporary type thing.

T/A

Crazygirl
12/06/2002, 08:29 AM
thanks guys. I like the 5 gallon bucket idea . .but. .well . .with it filled with water I will not be able to carry it .. so should I just wink at the guy in line to have him help me LOL ;-)