PDA

View Full Version : Large Sailfin Tang needs new home

Bocaswim
12/04/2002, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I have a large (6-7")sailfin tang that has outgrown my 220 gal reef. He is a beautiful fish and a model citizen, but he just needs more space.

I am willing to drive him to the Orlando area or anywhere south of that in FL, for the right home. Must be larger than the current home 8' or larger preferred.

FREE :) He was given to me by the LFS over a year and a half ago with a horrible case of HLLE which he has fully recovered from. A few tiny scars (and a big fat belly) are all that's left.

Rockfish
12/10/2002, 09:42 AM
I wish I would have seen this before today. I just added a Sailfin on Friday. He is about 4-5" of body not fins included. I wonder if two can live peacefully in one tank. I have a 450g. 96"l x 36"w x 30"h.

Steve

Bocaswim
12/10/2002, 09:50 AM
Well, that is a huge tank. I have been to a friends house with a 450 and he has thee beautiful sails. They school together. I would think to make it work you would have to have three. If your tank can support this guy I really want to see him go to a great home. He is special. It just so happens that I also have a small sail (2") in my frag tank. If that would convince you to take him, I will give you both.

Let me know, I am in the Orlando area often, and have friends traveling back and forth weekly.

Rockfish
12/10/2002, 10:23 AM
I will have to think about it. My situation is this. 2 months ago I had a parasite go through my tank. It took all my fish except 7. They are a Sixline, Orange Spotted Goby, and five Green Chromis. I have waited 2 months. Since then I have plumbed in additional filtration, a different sump design, a large UV sterilizer and redid all the lighting in hopes that this will never happen again. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it is to pull something out of this tank for treatment. Anyway last Wed I added my first new fish, he was a Juv Vlamingi tang, 5" long. Friday, I added a 6" Regal/Hippo/Blue (whatever you call them) Tang, and the Sailfin. I wanted everybody to settle down for a couple weeks before adding anything else. Future additions and currently in QT for the tank are 2 black saddleback clowns, 2 skunk clowns, 2 Pajama Cardinals, One Yellow Tang (he's going in last). I have 10 fish so far and want to keep it at 20 or less. The rock runs down the center of the tank, since the tank is a room divider. There are 2- 8' runways for the fish to swim and an area in the center for schooling. I like your idea about three schooling together. They would all be different sizes. Yours would be the large and small, and my current one the medium. This is my first time with the the Sailfin and it is definitely a beautiful fish. By the way he is the Indian Ocean variety with the Orange Spots highlights.

Bocaswim
12/10/2002, 10:43 AM
Wow, that vlamingi must be beautiful. All of these fish are healthy and have been in my systems for well 1 and a half years for the larger sail and 4-5 months on the smaller sail. I eventually would also like to find a larger tank for my lavendar tang (kole type) he is a voracious algae eater and a fat pig. I feel bad that I did not realize they would outgrow my 220 gal so quickly as I have become very attached to them.

I completely understand about you wanting to let things settle and see how your new additions are acclimating. My friend has a very similar tank to yours, his is 96"x 48"x 24" (L,W,H) and it is a room divider, walk around viewable from three sides. He has a school of 5 med hippo tangs, the three sails and also three koles. with the same type of rock formation as you described, it is cool to watch them school. The sails swim the lengths, while the hippos and koles school through the rocks and grottos. He also has a clam lagoon on the long and so there is alot of open space there.

LMK

Bocaswim
12/10/2002, 10:46 AM
I forgot to mention these are pacific variety sails. Not the red sea desjardini type tangs, but I am guessing they would still hang out together. :)

I posted a pic in the other thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132407

Rockfish
12/10/2002, 11:02 AM
Well If you think the Sails will get along with the Sailfish I have and future planned fish I will give him a good home. I just need a couple weeks for things to acclimate. I would want to add him in around Dec 20th or so, if that is OK with you? What and how often do you feed them. The last Tangs I had/ current ones, I would feed in the morning flake and pellets, and put out a Seaweed Algae clip at lunch and then some Mysid or other stuff in the evening. I also get some live macro everynow and then and toss it in the tank. They like that too. I am thinking about getting a automatic fish feeder in order to feed more often throughout the day. Everycouple days I leave the algae clip out so the fish will live off the land. I do not want them to get lazy and neglect their grazing duties.

Bocaswim
12/10/2002, 11:18 AM
I have a similar feeding regimen, including skipping the greens for a few days to get them to eat the nuisance algae from the rocks. Sails are notorious for eating the tougher turf type algae and valonia. I have found this to be the case with mine, but only after the emerald crabs get it started, then the sail will finish the job.

Instead of nori, I started feeding garlic/zoe/selcon soaked broccoli last year when I acquired the sail due to HLLE. I read on the boards that broccoli has alot of vitamin c and beta carotene which has help him recover. Now all my fish eat it, including my leopard wrasses.

I am not in a hurry (not really) so I will gladly wait til the 20th or so to see him in a larger tank. I was plannning to head up your way next weekend anyway, so that works fine. What part of Orlando are you in? I have friends in Dr. Phillips that I will be visiting.