PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Eheim 2215

SWW1268
12/01/2002, 10:07 PM
I have an Eheim canister filter that makes a lot of noise, probably because of air inside. If I put it on its side, it's quiet. I was wondering if anyone knows of a reason why I shouldn't do this. Will it leak or wear out faster?

Thanks,
Steve

bori
12/02/2002, 01:31 AM
Hi, I have a 2217 that u can barely hear. I don't think they were designed to run on their side. I wouldn't risk the rubber gasket leaking. If it is air open it up, fill it w/ aquarium water & prime it before restarting. I always get some air bubbles at first, but after a few shakes of the cannister, they're gone & it's quiet.
Also do an inpection of the impeller. Make sure nothing has gotten caught up in it. good luck. --Rob--

NorthCoast
12/02/2002, 02:58 PM
I agree with bori... and would add a question or two. What type of media do you have in it (if any at all) and how often do you clean? Also look for the possibility of the canisters intake pulling in air bubbles. These small bubble could create pockets inside the canister of time depending on the media.

Later,
NC

SWW1268
12/04/2002, 12:16 AM
The media: some cotton/floss stuff, carbon, and nitrate remover.
I cleaned it about a month ago, but I usually don't do it that often.

My problem is that I sometimes turn it off in the morning when I feed the fishes. When I turn it back on, it makes a racket. By night time, it's less noisy. But in the morning, the cycle begins again. Maybe my question should be what's an easy way to get the air out of the canister in the morning.