PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin 4700 pump

asch803
11/29/2002, 05:44 PM
ordered a Dolphin 4700 pump and i'm now wondering if it's a good idea...I have heard great things about the Dolphin Amp 3000 and this pump was only about $10 more and is supposedly considerably more efficient, etc...I mentioned this to the guy in my LFS - a great guy who knows his stuff (and was by no means trying to get me to buy a pump from him - he knows i buy that kind of stuff online). He said that it was overkill for my setup and suggested I reconsider. He said he has a Dolphin 2700 and even that is really powerful...I purchased the pump as a return pump for my 120 gal, 35 gal and a 55 gal i plan to include in this system in the next 6-12 months. Right now i have a Mag 12 doing this job, which makes alot of noise and isn't really working too well. The return pump pumps water from my sump under my tank up to 2 outlets in the 120 (approx. 4ft up for each), then another outlet in my 25 gal which is about 6-8 feet up and away from the sump. The planned 55 gal will be across the room atleast 12-15 feet. Is the Dolphin 4700 overkill? When i place this new pump into my system, i plan to replace the sump...It's currently a wet/dry being used as a sump and i'm looking to replace it with a standard tank to be used as a sump (probably a 30 gal AGA drilled tank)...Opinions please...Thanks!

Andy

picassomike
11/29/2002, 09:29 PM
Let me now how the ampmaster works out.I plan on getting a 4700 for my new 150g in basement sump for my 200g reef.

kevinpo
11/29/2002, 10:07 PM
I have the high RPM 4500 Dolphin. I have replaced 3 seals so far and the latest one leaked the next morning after replacement. Also the high RPM model is not very quiet. I have listened to 3-4 of the 3K models and they were totally silent. I hope yours will be that way.
I also have 2 Iwaki pumps on the same sump installed at the same time that have performed flawlessly.

Regards,
Kevin

Ironreef
11/29/2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by kevinpo
I have the high RPM 4500 Dolphin. I have replaced 3 seals so far and the latest one leaked the next morning after replacement. . I have listened to 3-4 of the 3K models and they were totally silent.
I also have 2 Iwaki pumps on the same sump installed at the same time that have performed flawlessly.

Regards,
Kevin Would you buy another ampmaster? Seems like thta one leaked more than others? Most ppl only change seals once a year??? Just wondering I'm buying a new pump. Just I will just stay with what I know. Iwaki

kevinpo
11/30/2002, 12:19 AM
Ironreef,
I will try a Sequence brand pump next time. After I post for comments at RC of course :) .

Regards,
Kevin