PDA

View Full Version : Kind of important (to me) water change question.

SeanT
11/27/2002, 04:55 PM
It has finally arrived. My move into a new house.
I plan on shutting off my sump. Transferring it to the new place and using it two hold my 3 fish, anemone and mushrooms.
It will be easier to have circulation and heat in there.
They will be cramped only temporarily.

Here is my big question.
When I set up my tank and fill it with water I want to use as much tank water as possible. So as to have as much of the benficial thinigies as I can.
I am going to do a 20 gallon change tomorrow morning. And then do another 20 gallon change on Saturday morning.
I will store the water from the change on Saturday morning and when I move the tank I will siphon and store as much as the water in the tank that I can and use it to fill the tank as much as it will. Then top-off with fresh mix.

My question is, is doing these two large water changes going to harm my inhabitants or should it be ok?

MJB
11/27/2002, 05:39 PM
Sean,
Sounds fine to me. IMHO most of the beneficial "thingies" like bacteria are on surfaces of LR,LS etc. Don't know what you have in mind for those. I'd be more concerned about pH, temp, and S.G. JMO--MJB

MalHavoc
11/27/2002, 06:21 PM
Agree with MJB. As long as you make sure that the water parameters of the newly mixed tank water (temp, pH and SG) are the same as what is in your tank, you shouldn't shock the inhabitants.

pnosko
11/28/2002, 12:28 AM
What's your plan for the 5" DSB?

SeanT
11/28/2002, 12:38 AM
Sift thru it to get any bristles and chuck the rest.
I am afraid that if I try to store it the huge die off will cause a new cycle.