PDA

View Full Version : Kent's new Nautilus Skimmer

BiGBOi
11/26/2002, 11:13 PM
Anyone have one of these? I was curious to see if it was any good. It looks pretty nice. Here's a picture and a link to Ken't website.

Kent's Website (http://www.kentmarine.com/nte.html)

Peacefrog
11/27/2002, 02:56 AM
I'm real happy with mine!
using it with a 700 gph pump on a 65 gallon tank.
Works great!
easy to set up,adjust,and clean!
:)

Sniper308
11/27/2002, 07:23 AM
Excellent skimmer. Works great. Easy to clean. Parts are unbreakable. If for some reason something does break, all parts are replaceable individually through kent. When I broke down my second tank, I had a choice of using my nautilus or my My Reef MR-1 on my current tank. I chose to use the Nautilus. It is easy to adjust works Great and as said earlier it is so easy to clean. That was the major factor in keeping it and ditching the My Reef. The My Reef had too many screws and crap to deal with. I wish I still had my digital camera. You would not believe the gunk being produced by the nautilus. It is thick, dark black/green and smells like..... well you know. There is a post here at Reef central asking to see skimmate.....from what I saw, there arent many pics there that the nautilus would not beat hands down. I am using a mag-7 to run mine and it works great. The MyReef used a mag 12 which ran very warm and kept my tank temp too high for my liking. My current tank is a 92g Corner Bow. The nautilus is recomended for up to 300g I believe.

LarryW
11/27/2002, 09:04 AM
are you talking about the TE or the EX model? I have the TE model in my sump with a mag drive 700 on my 72 gallon Bow front, and am very pleased with it's performance, easy setup, and cleaning. The EX model, is new... I bought my skimmer about 2 months ago, and that one wasn't on their site. It looks like they give you the best of both worlds though... I haven't seen it anywhere, so I cant give you any opinion on it, but the TE is sweet.

Here is a pic of the collection cup two days after setup..... today it's a deep darker green
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=890730

SeanT
11/27/2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Sniper308
When I broke down my second tank, I had a choice of using my nautilus or my My Reef MR-1 on my current tank. I chose to use the Nautilus. It is easy to adjust works Great and as said earlier it is so easy to clean. That was the major factor in keeping it and ditching the My Reef. The My Reef had too many screws and crap to deal with.

Good to know.
I bought his Myreef. :rolleyes:
Sheesh.

SeanT
11/27/2002, 12:11 PM
LOL Check this out.
Click here to see a movie of the MR-1 in action..
(Movie courtesy of Louis Robinson aka Sniper308 on Reef Central)
This is found here. (http://www.myreefcreations.com/skimmers.html)
:D
Regardless, this Myreef dogs out my berlin.

PS Louis, I'm just bustin' your chops. :)

Sniper308
11/27/2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Sean,
I never said it was perfect but it is a good skimmer that does what it is designed to do. Besides, I sold you the skimmer and the mag 12 for less than the mag 12 costs and I paid the $20 to ship it. I liked the MyReef a lot, the Nautilus is just so much easier to clean and service. All parts either slip or clip on. No screws, bolts, nuts or threads of any kind. And as I said, being a venturti type intake instead of a beckett injector, it takes a much smaller pump which runs cooler and dosent take up as much space. Being in a corner tank I am limited to a 20g high as my sump so I must make all available use of space.

But anyway I'm just bustin your chops Sean:D .
If you are not happy with it, maybe I can do something to help you out. Heck, for what I sold it to you for, you could probably sell it and make a small profit.....lol.

LarryW--Mine is the TE model also. There are 2 versions of the TE that I am aware of. I bought the earlier model of the TE and after speaking with kent marine about it they offered to ship the newer improved model to me as an exchange. The only difference in the two was the that the top black collar that the collection cup sits in had a longer what I will call sleeve/funnel that extended down into the mixing chamber trapping air at about the top 1" of the mixing chamber. The newer TE model that I have does not have this collar so all of the mixing chamber is usable. I would be curious to see the XE model.

SeanT
11/27/2002, 03:57 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuuude...get your fish-stinky hands away from my Myreef.
I finally got it tuned right and my skinmate is almost as dark as coffee and smells like death.
I am emptying about 4 ounces a day.
The the water level still plummets in the early morning for some reason, but I know it is working so no worries here.
Shows how good the berlin did on my system. As it pulled about a quarter cup of off white water every week. :rolleyes:

As for the price...I KNOW you gave me a good deal and couldn't be more pleased. :)

Fixing to upgrade to a 120 with a 75 gallon sump...sump will probably only be half full...imagine how well the berlin would do on that sized system.

I know the MR-1 is only rated to 150 gallons but I will be implementing a refugium so the skimmer will be on light duty.
My hopes are to actually become skimmerless over the next few months.

Then I will pass this badboy on to someone else who needs it.

For the life of me I still don't understand why you would go with a Nautilus over a Myreef...just because of the heat?

Zoom
11/27/2002, 05:28 PM
Here is the Kent Nautilus EX it comes in three sizes 24'' 30'' 48'':eek2:

chewie
11/27/2002, 05:34 PM
SeanT,

When you go skimmerless, SELL THE MR-1 TO ME!!!!!:D

khaberer
11/27/2002, 10:24 PM
Add another one to the satisfied column...easy to setup and easy to service. One question for other TE owners though - I'm not getting any foam buildup in the collection cup. I'm assuming that this is because I don't have any livestock other than detrivores right now.

Is something not working right or is this normal with a light load of livestock?

Zoom
11/27/2002, 10:43 PM
Is something not working right or is this normal with a light load of livestock
Yes is normal ,if the skimmer is new it will take up to two weeks to get going .

Sniper308
11/27/2002, 11:09 PM
I see the pic of the xe skimmer but do not see an input. Is this thing a venturi or a beckett? It looks a lot like a cross between a myreef and the other guy who was making homeade skimmers. Cant remember his name now but he competes with myreef and many people on this board have his skimmers.

Zoom
11/27/2002, 11:13 PM
http://www.kentmarine.com/nex.html
here is all the info.

pjr
11/28/2002, 12:49 AM
The Kent sounds like a good product guys. One question: Is it quiet? Or does it sound like a truck under the tank?

justletmein
11/28/2002, 01:49 AM
Mine is quiet, the water just rolls down the outer tube. It produces mass quantities of some ungodlyl substance in the collection cup...

SaltwaterSensei
11/28/2002, 03:16 AM
that kent skimmer EX is looking alot like a AquaC EV series if you ask me. You can see, what I'm guessing, is the intake at the bottom of the skimmers mixing box.

The new EX is interesting. I'd like to see how it fairs against the known greats.

khaberer
12/10/2002, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, I need your help. I've had my tank up for a month now (purchased existing setup) and I still don't have any build up in the skimmer collection cup.

I don't have any "real" livestock, just a cleanup crew of snails, crabs, serpent stars, etc.

It seems like I would have some buildup by now, especially since I've got algae, sarghassum, caulerpa, etc. growing all over the place. What do you think?

pjr
12/10/2002, 03:24 PM
Just a quick process check: What pump are you using with it?

khaberer
12/10/2002, 03:29 PM
pjr,

I'm running a Rio 2500 to power the skimmer...

justletmein
12/10/2002, 04:23 PM
I ran mine on a Rio 2100 before and am using a CAP 1800(? 650gph). My skimmate visibly increases after feeding time and then settles back down. Maybe no bioload... You also may need to adjust the tube a little higher so that you get some foam near the top of the tube. I kept mine high for a while and have gradually backed off to produce dryer darker skimmate. hth

khaberer
12/10/2002, 05:39 PM
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean by, adjusting the tube. How do I go about that?

jedwards
12/10/2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean by, adjusting the tube. How do I go about that?

On the TE you move the output pipe up or down to change the water column height in the skimmer. Mine kept getting sand particles in it and locking up so I replaced the acrylic output with a 3/4 PVC pipe and gate valve. I had to sand down the PVC a little because the diameter is a tiny bit too large to fit into the skimmers output. That simple modification also allows you to run the skimmer outside the sump instead of putting it inside. I'm using a mag 7 pump to drive it, it works great but I wish I could find a quieter pump.

Jim

pjr
12/10/2002, 11:25 PM
Jim, how loud is that Mag 7? I just got my TE yesterday (thank you ebay) and was about to order a pump. Any alternatives to the Mag?

jedwards
12/11/2002, 09:23 AM
how loud is that Mag 7?

Too loud for my living room, louder than the rio 2100 that I got with the skimmer. . :(
'm working on modifying my sump so that I can run the pump externally, once thats done I'll try to build a box for it to damp the sound.