PDA

View Full Version : corals, inverts, fish unhappy, brown algae?

vanisher
11/26/2002, 03:59 AM
My tank specs are at the bottom,
Params:

pH: 8.1-8.2
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
ammonia: ran out of reagents
phosphate: 0.2
calcium: 400

I recently did 2 water changes as the nitrates were at 40, but now they are down to 20.
I also have had brown algae appear on the live rock. Some green mostly brown. Also I have some ash looking stuff on the aragonite sand in the middle and front occasionally. I stir it up every now and then to clear it. Any suggestions on what could be happening? I don't want to lose anything more, I already lost my 2 elegances. :sad1:

Fishguru
11/26/2002, 07:45 AM
how old is the tank? any temperature spikes? Any recent additions or other deaths? changes in maintenance, or feeding? Guru

vanisher
11/26/2002, 04:38 PM
The tank is about 4 months old, no real temperature spikes going on. The only time that the temperature changes much is when the halides come on, but it's not that much of an increase, about 1 or 2 degrees F. No deaths, except 2 jumpouts. The maintenance hasn't really been changed nor the feeding. I change the water once a month, about a 20% change. I feed them once a day, hand feed the eel, and inverts, then give the fish some frozen brine/flakes. Anything else?

Fishguru
11/26/2002, 08:02 PM
I think you just need to give it some time to work itself out. That is still very new and probably just needs to stabalize. If all your parameters keep coming back ok, then that is the only real suggestion that i can give. Most new tanks dont become stable for quite some time, even after it cycles. I'd give it a few months to settle down. Is this a brand new tank, or was the stuff transfered from another tank? I'd say just give it some time, and continue to do things a you have been. I would keep testing the water weekly to make sure you dont have something else going on-Guru

Fishguru
11/26/2002, 08:04 PM
I just noticed another about your inhabitants. They dont recommend mixing genus of Anenome's they tend not to do well together. this may be a contributing factor, but i am not totally up on the anenome compatibility-guru

vanisher
11/26/2002, 09:54 PM
On the anemone thing, they are all very far apart. The bubble tip is hosting the maroon, and the sebae is hosting my oce's. As you were saying about stability, they tank was beautiful up until about 2 weeks ago, everything was stable, all params were perfect. I just don't seem to see what happened.. Nothing had died until 2 weeks ago.

EdKruzel
11/30/2002, 11:52 AM
Vanisher,
I agree with Fishguru on this one. At 4mths your tank wasn't exactly stable; it was at a point of flux that gave you an acceptable appearance.

It can take a year or so for all the things the naked eye cannot pick-up to stabilize.
As one strain of this microscopic life becomes dominant or is taken over all others in the chain are affected until a balance ensues.

The build up of brown algae is the accumulation of a tiny diatom.
Perhaps more frequent water changes are necessary to balance this out. Do you run a skimmer, and is it rated for your tank?
Any excess as this is a sign of insufficient nutrient removal.

What is the current temperature of your tank?

The foods you mention brine/flake; is this all you feed your fish?
Brine and/or flake are only a good treat for your fish. You should find something with more substance and nutritional value.
Perhaps Formula 1 or 2 by Ocean Nutrition.

Anemones send out chemicals which will alert them to other types of anemones in their territory or alert one another of their presence.
If they have remained in one area for sometime you may be able to keep them both for a long period of time if you follow a few simple rules:

1. Keep the anemones well fed, shrimp, krill, fish flesh...

2. Excellent protein skimming.

3. 1lbs of a good carbon per 100gal with a moderate to strong flow through the resin bag. Changed monthly.

Good Luck,
Ed

vanisher
12/01/2002, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the response.

I feed the fish/anemones/eel frozen krill, frozen brine and frozen silversides.

I have a berlin turbo xl for a skimmer. It seems to skim decently, but it goes in bursts it seems. I have had problems with the skimmer since day 1.

As for the temperature it is at 80 degrees with lights off, and 83 degrees with lights on. As for the anemones they have all stayed in their spots, quite distant from one another.

As for the carbon, I think I will try that, any suggestions on a good brand and a good type of bag to use?

Any other help is appreciated.

vanisher
12/01/2002, 06:33 AM
Oh! just as a side note, my ocellaris clowns went into my sebae!!!! Awesome I tell you. I now have 2 species of clowns in my tank successfully, and each in their own anemone!! Just thought I'd share my excitement :D

EdKruzel
12/01/2002, 11:39 AM
Vanisher,
The Berlin is a decent skimmer when there working properly.
Ensure the neck is cleaned often. Aggressive skimming only works if the equipment is clean.

As to the brand of carbon... There are many good brands but I believe that Kent is far above the rest.
Make sure you rinse it well before adding large amounts.

You need a variety of foods. Silversides and krill are fine for the eel and the anemones, but brine is not enough for the other inhabitants.

Spurlina mixed brine is better but you still need to add a variety for optimal health.
Mysis shrimp (plankton), nori, or a mix of something with a green vegetable matter (I like the O/N formula brands) is a must.

Good Luck,
Ed