PDA

View Full Version : compact fluoresents

bsbrok
11/20/2002, 08:51 PM
I have 2- 55w compact fluoresents on my 27 Gal. Reef, is that enought lighting for a small clam? also is it enough for soft corals? Just want to double check and get some opinions!

-Thanks, Alan

Trace
11/20/2002, 08:58 PM
Two 55w PC will probably be insufficient for tridacnas. You may be able to do a Hippopus, and could definitely to a flame scallop or something like that. Generally though, tridacnas do best under halide lighting. As far as soft corals, you could do alot of them. mushrooms, leathers, polyps. You could have alot of differrent soft coral with that lighting scheme

Chin_monster
11/21/2002, 02:48 AM
Most soft corals are alright with lighting, clams are iffy at best. Maybe a dersea up high, but I wouldn't do it FWIW.

K. Lee
11/21/2002, 03:34 AM
Sprung and Delbeek both kept Tridacna clam species under Normal output lighting, let alone PC ("The Reef Aquarium, A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates, Volume One", Charles J. Delbeek and Julian Sprung. Ricordea Publishing: 1994).

They do also say, in the work mentioned above that the more light, the better (for clams).

syow
11/21/2002, 03:41 AM
FWIW -

I have a small (13G) system in my office with 2 32w PCs.. There is a derasa in there that has grown quite a bit over the last year... don't need MH for Derasa's at least...

stereomandan
11/21/2002, 09:19 AM
It's a tough call.

I would only try a Squamosa or Deresa if I were you.

Also, please don't take Trace's recommendation and put a flame scallop in there. They are notorious for not surviving long in home aquariums.(been there)

Dan