PDA

View Full Version : Calerpa going sexual cause cyano outbreak?

Ryan22
11/20/2002, 01:23 PM
I've been fighting a cyano outbreak, and I'm just trying to pin down where it came from. I had been running my tank without a return pump for about a month because of a malfunction. I had to send my mag 9.5 back to the company for repair. While it was gone I was also skimmerless, because I have a turbofloater in sump skimmer. So during that month my grape calerpa exploded in my tank. When I got my return pump back and hooked it up, I also added a larger sump, with a 6" sandbed and about 25 more gallons of total volume to my 72 gal tank. Within a day or two my calerpa all turned white and died. I pulled out as much as I could, but still ended up with a very cloudy tank. I ran carbon in a power filter that I have on the tank (usually with no media) and did a water change and things seemed to have recoved, the tank cleared, nothing died, the world was perfect.
Well not really, soon after that I got a pretty bad cyano outbreak. So for that last month and a half I've been doing weekly 20 gallon water changes, daily turkey baster blasting, my skimmer is really churning out some nasty gunk, I bought a queen conch, increased my turbo snail population, added three maxi-jet 1200 powerheads to replace my rio's, taken out all the rock and scubbed it with a tooth bush, I'm topping off with Kalk, and RO/DI, cut back my feeding, and upgraded my lights from 80 watts of NO to 440 watts of Ice cap VHO.
So I'm pretty sure I got myself a broken conch, it just sits in the same spot with it's eyes sticking out of it's shell looking around. It may have moved six inches since I put it in the tank. I thought that the increased lighting would help, but it caused the outbreak to be much worse, much to my dismay. But, I'm making progress, my test results are zero for Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate. My RO/DI tests the same.
I only have two fish, a maroon clown and a chalk seabass, and I have no corals, but the fish seem to have no ill effects from all of this.
So I guess I have two questions:

1) was this outbreaked caused buy my calerba going sexual?

2) is there anything I'm missing, that I should be doing to get rid of the cyano once and for all?

TIA,

Ryan

dela
11/20/2002, 01:35 PM
Your conch sounds starved or poorly acclimated or something. Hopefully it will get better in time.

From your post it sounds like your grape calerpa sucked up all the nutrients and then released them back in the water. Leaving the nutrients up for grabs.

I think the way to beat your problem is to first get your system back in order, then try and physically remove as much cyano as possible, and then add a more stable macro to the tank in order to outcompete the cyano. Grape is fast growing, but it's pretty unstable.

Go for spaghetti seagrass. It's fast growing and does not go sexual. Although it is more appropriate in a fuge or sump rather than in the main tank.

Ryan22
11/20/2002, 02:58 PM
I drip acclimated the conch for about 2 and a half hours, there is plenty of aglea for it to eat:D So hopefully it will get better, or do anything soom

dela
11/20/2002, 04:01 PM
Maybe it had a hard trip. Like if it got too cold along the way.

Who knows! ;)

BTW, siphoning with an airline tube might be an easy way to manually remove some of the cyano.