PDA

View Full Version : Highest temperature of a reef tank

GeNeSISSIE
11/19/2002, 03:27 AM
Hey all, I just got some new lighting for my 40G tank and I noticed the temperature rising quite a bit, 84 degrees F. I have fans installed on the canopy, but I was hoping I could keep them off since they are loud. I was wondering what the maximum safe temperature for a reef tank is. Fish I have include a yellow tang and a regal hippo tang. If I REALLY must, I will invest in a chiller, but I would rather have alternative methods of cooling (cheaper). Thanks for any advice.

ReefGeekster
11/19/2002, 03:53 AM
Invest in quieter fans to start, far less than a chiller. I run hot in my 90 gals. 86-88

Legion
11/19/2002, 03:57 AM
FWIW- My 75 runs at 81-82 from lights on to lights off, has been this way for a few years now with no problems,,,and I have seen setups run well at 83. Try getting some fans that run with less noise. I bought 2 60 cfm fans from radio shack and they dont make a sound.It should be noted that I run 2-175's 2-110's & 2-55's but my canopy is very open in the back. Though extreme high and low temps can be a problem, what you really have to watch for is big swings in temp during the day.

Also a lil off the subject- a hippo & yellow in a 40!!! man thats to small for even one of them much less both:(

DgenR8
11/19/2002, 06:57 AM
The larger the system, the easier it is to control temp. swings. A larger system is in order if you wish to keep Tangs, especially more than one.
Fans should be able to handle it for you, even on a 40. 84* is about the upper limit, be sure it doesn't go over that.
http://rshimek.com/reef/tempsal.htm

NorthCoast
11/19/2002, 10:11 AM
I noticed the temperature rising quite a bit, 84 degrees F

I would try not to let it get any hotter. How far does the temperature swing? Running at 84 is one thing, but, dropping to something significantly lower at night is also not advised? :)

Just curious,
NC