PDA

View Full Version : byssal attachment and flow questions

ctripi
01/08/2008, 04:25 PM
Is it alright to allow a T. crocea to attach its byssal thread to the glass of a bare bottom tank?

Second question....how much flow is too much. My clam's mantle moves gently around every minute or so. Should I move to low flow region?

ctripi
01/08/2008, 04:30 PM
Almost forgot a third question....Any suggestions why my Nassarius snails show alot interest in the clam; particularly around the byssal region. The clam seems health; good mantle expansion, no gapping or bleaching. Water quality parameters have been stable and in reasonable range.

mbbuna
01/08/2008, 04:45 PM
its fine for it to attach to the glass. for flow as long as the clam can extend its mantle fine and it not flapping in the breeze it should be fine.

i would remove the snail, i dont trust them. ive see too many people have clams killed by "reef safe" nassarius snails

ctripi
01/08/2008, 06:24 PM
I've been looking for a reason to get rid of those snails. In fact, It's surprising how much I've reduced my reef cleaning crew dramtically since the start of my tank. No more hermits or Nassarius !! Thanks for the clam insight.

reefturkey
01/09/2008, 01:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11551858#post11551858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna
its fine for it to attach to the glass. for flow as long as the clam can extend its mantle fine and it not flapping in the breeze it should be fine.

i would remove the snail, i dont trust them. ive see too many people have clams killed by "reef safe" nassarius snails
Is it possible that they killed an already sick clam that was on its way to dying?

mbbuna
01/09/2008, 01:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11556218#post11556218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefturkey
Is it possible that they killed an already sick clam that was on its way to dying?

it is i guess. but ive seen many people say that they placed a great looking healthy clam into there tank to be swarmed by them.

i think that some people actually have a predatory cousin that looks just like whats supposed to be reef safe. or something completely different but looks the same. how can you really tell with out dissecting it? what certifications do the collectors out in Tonga have to insure they know the difference?

look at pyram snails. there are over 8000 known species of them and they all look just like a little white grain of rice.