PDA

View Full Version : xenia frag

wigo
01/06/2008, 08:15 PM
I got a xenia frag from atlantis a few days ago and it seem to have died immediately.
I think I may have cutoff supply with a rubber band.
Anyway after it was looking way bad and coming apart, I decided to go ahead and cut off the 3 other branches.
It smelled like a raw oyster.
I have quarantined it, and wonder if there is any hope or if I should just flush the thing.

J. Montgomery
01/06/2008, 09:44 PM
I'm redoing my aquascaping tonight and I just cut off a big frag of Xenia. I'm considering tossing it b/c it spreads so easily. I would have killed it long ago if the fiance didn't like it so much. . . . so to answer your question, how much do you like Xenia and want to keep it? If you really want it, keep it. If not, flush it. :)

wigo
01/06/2008, 10:06 PM
I think you misunderstood my statement.
I said I think it died or was dying and I basically fraged it to see if I could get it to stay alive. I am wondering if this will work or if I have to throw it out.
I would love to have a lot of xenia because I am new with corals. Too bad you don't live closer or I would take the stuff you are tossing off you hands.

J. Montgomery
01/06/2008, 11:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11537727#post11537727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wigo
I think you misunderstood my statement.
I said I think it died or was dying and I basically fraged it to see if I could get it to stay alive. I am wondering if this will work or if I have to throw it out.
I understood. I'd say keep it. If it's dead, then it'll totally dissolve pretty quickly within a day or two. Even if a small amount of tissue survives at the base, then it'll grow back.

cnelson
01/07/2008, 01:57 AM
It always smells dead like that, really fishy, even when it's perfectly fine. As soon as you pull it from water, or if it's in a little bit of water. Too bad you're not closer, I have to do some pruning too.

will_w
01/07/2008, 07:26 AM
Wigo, If it goes, PM me and I can get you a frag. They usually grow very well. I think they may be a little temperamental sometimes when acclimating to a new tank.

BigAl2007
01/07/2008, 09:35 AM
Xenia, if in the right conditions is VERY resiliant to the point of being a PEST in many systems. The good thing about it is that unless it's totally hosed by a chemical imbalance if any part of it survives (as mentioned above) even a small think mat it will grow back. In my tanks I've had one colony "melt" to nothing more than a skin like mat and stay that way a few weeks. Then one morning it's got almost pimple like texture and a few weeks later stalks are shooting up. One thing I have noticed is that when one "melts" and comes back it's more aggressive and more hardy than the original.

Good luck and happy reefing. :)

Allen

PS It always stinks... the more you handle it the worse it is....

wigo
01/07/2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry Josh, Thought we were on different topics.

cnelson, I drive down that way fairly often, As a matter of fact I will be coming through there on wednesday if you still have some pruing to do I will be happy to take it off your hands. I can meet you or come by your house.

To all, Thanks for the advice. I will keep it and see what happens. I put it in a tubberware container in the sump to keep it away from the current. I will see what happens.

samdaman316
01/08/2008, 08:27 AM
If you don't meet up with cnelson let me know... I have plenty.

wigo
01/08/2008, 05:18 PM
no response at this time.
I will be coming through Richmond sometime around 7-8 tomorrow.

wigo
01/08/2008, 06:20 PM
BTW I have a bunch of RC plane stuff.