PDA

View Full Version : LFS got me totally confused now. Helpppp???

zues_lightning
11/18/2002, 01:06 AM
I read numerous post and setup article before I began. Yesterday I load 150 lbs of southdown sand into my 60 gallon tank 6 inches. I then added 50 lbs of marshall island and 1 cup of live land from a mature local reefer. Today I went to the LFS to get misc. and told the LFS what I was doing. The LFS was very adamant that I had done everything wrong and need to buy "live sand". He suggested I break down my whole tank. Of course buy some live sand from him and start all over. I was told the southdown sand I bought was not live and will always be dead sand. I read on this forum that the live rock would seed the sandbed. Please advise if I'm doing right. I threw in a couple damsels to help cycle.

heyitsDAVER
11/18/2002, 01:13 AM
You are right. The bagged live sand isn't really worth it, what could be alive after sitting in an airtight back in the cold for weeks?

6 inches seems like a lot to me though..

reese1906
11/18/2002, 02:51 AM
FYI...

There is a lot of great info here that give you the "real deal" with regards to live sand. Here is an excerpt from one of the discussions.

To make live sand all you need is the right kind of dead sand, add LR, and borrow a cupful of sand from an existing healthy aquarium. If you have access to Southdown Tropical Playsand, this is the cheapest dead sand. If not, maybe try other alternatives like:
http://www.purearagonite.com/
Don't get suckered into buying lbs and lbs of so called "live sand" Your dead sand can become just as live and spare you a lot of monetary pain.

FatherDougal
11/18/2002, 03:24 AM
Sometimes you have to ignore what your LFS says and follow advice you've read in books and on-line sources. :eek:

You're lucky they were only telling you your method for setting up the DSB was wrong - here in France they told me there was no such concept and that I was insane for even considering adding more than an inch of sand to my tank. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the live rock will seed your sandbed perfectly and the cup of sand from another reefer will help too. Within a short time your 'dead' sand will be teeming with life.

Enjoy! :D

Just Fishing
11/18/2002, 09:03 AM
Your sand bed will come to life the way you did it. The live rock and a cup of sand will start the process and nature will take over from there. If you haven't seen this on sand beds take a look at it.

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

FatherDougal Sometimes you have to ignore what your LFS says and follow advice you've read in books and on-line sources.

This is true in most cases sad to say. I'd read the RC and current books (some methods are dated) for your advice.

griss
11/18/2002, 09:06 AM
My response to your LFS would be, "Bite me!" :D

Seriously, the LFS is trying to make money, so they will sell you anything they can. Very few LFS will tell you what you truly do and do not need. St. Louis reefers are fortunate in that we have a few really good LFS that do what is right for the hobbyist.

RC, on the other hand, is here to help you out and get no compensation for it. Those of us who moderate RC are volunteers, we receive no compensation for our work here.

Bottom line, I agree with what was said above.

Griss

NorthCoast
11/18/2002, 09:55 AM
I threw in a couple damsels to help cycle.

You really don't need damsesl to cycle. Any matter that breaks down would work. A cube of frozen fish food, dead shrimp, etc... There is no need to put the fish through that stress.

Anyway, the advice above reads sound to me. :)

Later,
NC

Russ
11/18/2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by reese1906
To make live sand all you need is the right kind of dead sand, add LR, and borrow a cupful of sand from an existing healthy aquarium. If you have access to Southdown Tropical Playsand, this is the cheapest dead sand. If not, maybe try other alternatives like:
http://www.purearagonite.com/
Don't get suckered into buying lbs and lbs of so called "live sand" Your dead sand can become just as live and spare you a lot of monetary pain.

Geez, that's sounds like something I might say. ;) It's nice to be quoted. LOL! -Russ