PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer question!

Carmen77
11/17/2002, 11:53 PM
I just got a new protein skimmer from Lee's Aquarium & Pet Products for my 20 gallon. It's a hang-on skimmer. And I don't know how to hook it up to the air pump... There's a valve A, and valve B on the skimmer. A little help! This isn't making sense to me. I'm new to saltwater aquariums, VERY different then freshwater! :confused: !

Any help would be appreciated!

~C.77~

Just Fishing
11/18/2002, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure of that brand but if this is it from the picture http://www.leesaqpet.com/PICCAT/17100-10.htm it looks like you attach your air pump to the top. You want air coming from the air stone in the bottom and water flowing down through the bubbles (counter current). If that doesn't work close the valve on the top and attach it to the bottom fitting. Hope this helps.

griss
11/18/2002, 09:26 AM
I am not really familiar with the Lee's brand skimmers, but based on the pic it looks like you have 2 air inlets. One for the airstone and one for the small outlet tube. In this case you want a heavy airflow going to the airstone to create many tiny bubbles.

The smaller tube pulls water through the skimmer and you want a bubbles spaced about an inch apart coming out of the small tube.

HTH,

Griss

Carmen77
11/18/2002, 10:41 AM
Yes, that's the same protein skimmer I have. I got the smallest one they sell. And an air pump for 5-30 gallon tanks...

Thanks for posting,

~Carmen77~