PDA

View Full Version : electrical question

jlinzmaier
01/05/2008, 10:03 PM
Is there any way to set up a receptacle or switch so that when the power goes out (thunderstorm for example) the power doesn't go back on to that certain receptacle without being reset or manually turned back on. Once the power comes back on, I don't want one of my pumps to turn back on without me checking the system first.

Any ideas?

blcard
01/05/2008, 10:32 PM
I'm sure there is some type of relay that would do it, but I don't know for sure.

I would also like something like this and will be watching for replies.

wife no likey
01/05/2008, 10:48 PM
yes, I think that you need a latching relay and a momentary switch.

I've never done any latching stuff, but I'd think that bean or donw would be of help for you.

funman1
01/05/2008, 11:41 PM
I tell you what!!!
I have the perfect device for you..
Pay for shipping and packing and it's yours!!!

I have a GFCI that plugs into a normal plug and then has a protected plug on it.

It DRIVES ME NUTS because once the power goes out it trips and MUST be reset manually!!!

It's like this one..
http://www.hometownstores.com/detail.aspx?ID=47751&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Ace%20Hardware&ovcrn=%22Pass%20&%20Seymour%22%20Portable%20Gfci%20Plug&ovtac=CMP
They call it a FEATURE!?!?!?
"Power out trip protects against accidental restarts"

LMK if you are interested. It's exactly what you're looking for; and I hate it, so....

BeanAnimal
01/06/2008, 01:25 AM
You can also get one shot relays from mcmaster.com

Lost in Tanks
01/06/2008, 07:43 AM
you need a 110 relay and a momentary switch... simple circuit

BeanAnimal
01/06/2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, it could be easily done with a single relay (wired as a latch) and a momentary switch. The problem is that the relay will be under a continuous duty cycle. Most relays are not designed to be held in like this. You COULD wire the latch so that mains current sets it and the pump is on the NC contacts. This however makes proper operation dependent on the relay staying latched to keep the pump off. Much lower duty cycle, but a failure means a flood.

A purpose specific relay is a much better idea in this case... not that many of us could not build a suitable circuit, but why go through the hassle?

Icefire
01/06/2008, 11:49 AM
I think funman have the perfect thing for him :)

Lost in Tanks
01/06/2008, 02:12 PM
actually the relays are built for continuous duty cycle.. that are not intended for on/off continuous pulsing cycles... i use them every day in my line of work... it's the pulsing that destroys them and not the full contact use..

BeanAnimal
01/06/2008, 02:44 PM
Lost,

Actually, it depends on the rating of the relay. In the case of continuous duty, the coil and armature need to be configured to disipate the heat properly. Such a relay will also be designed to use a smaller holding current than its required actuation current.

BeanAnimal
01/06/2008, 02:47 PM
A nearly ideal circuit would be a simple monostable 555 timer circuot that manually latches an SSR. No wear, not duty cycle, no contact arcing. It is also a nice little project for somebody wanting to cut their teeth with DIY electronics. The parts count is the 555, a few resistors and a few caps along with an SSR and a low voltage momentary switch.