PDA

View Full Version : leopard wrasse tank size

johnrags1234
11/17/2002, 04:30 PM
I have just fallen in love with leopard wrasse's. They seem to exhibit very interseting behaviors, and there coloration is amazing. I read the reefking article on them. I am more than willing to have this be the only species/fish in my reef that im planning. The problem is that it is only a 40g. It has a 10g refugium, so this should help with pod population wich seems to be a concern. If i feed sevral times a day, could i keep this species succesfully? I understand they do not ship well so I would buy one through my lfs. What is the general price range for this fish? would i be able to keep a pair, or is even one pushing it? The tank will either have a 3 inch sand bed or maybe a 5 inch dsb.

hcs3
11/17/2002, 06:02 PM
They seem to exhibit very interseting behaviors, and there coloration is amazing.

exactly. cool fish indeeed.

I read the reefking article on them.

good start :) for reference for others reading the thread, here is the link (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.htm)

I am more than willing to have this be the only species/fish in my reef that im planning.

you could mix in a couple other small gobies with no ill effects. firefish, clown gobies, cleaner gobies, etc.

The problem is that it is only a 40g. It has a 10g refugium, so this should help with pod population wich seems to be a concern.

a 40g would be OK (not optimum) for only one leopard. try to locate a smaller one.

What is the general price range for this fish?

prices vary. not sure if the price is indicative of quality, but...i've purchased several at $20. only one lived, and is still alive after 3 years and two tank crashes that experienced 90% mortality. i have also purchased a couple others around the $50 - $60 range. most seemed to adapt rather well, live for a couple years, but they did not survive the crash. i paid $100 for one meleagris that was in captivity for 3 years prior to my purchase. it lived an additional 4 years with me before my first tank crash took its life.

The tank will either have a 3 inch sand bed or maybe a 5 inch dsb.

3" minimum.

HTH

henry

Project Reef
11/17/2002, 07:13 PM
Henry, are these fish known jumpers?

hcs3
11/17/2002, 07:32 PM
no. i've never seen or heard of one jumping. when frightened, they dive into the sand.

HTH

henry

johnrags1234
11/17/2002, 07:37 PM
Thank s alot for the info! I think i will go ahead with it then, when trhe tank is up

AuroraDave
11/19/2002, 08:42 PM
It can be hard to find a healthy Leopard. That's why I have been hesitant to buy online. They arent the best shippers.

Inland keeps their Leopards in quarrantine for several weeks to make sure that they eat and live. The last few times I tried to buy one there, they said they havent had one last the quarrantine period. I respected this process and the fact that Morgan stayed in touch. That may be a good site for you.

Good luck, they are beautiful wrasses.
Make sure you have an established sand bed.

Oh yeh, you asked about prices...they are usually $70-80 at the Chgo area LFS. A little less on-line.

moonpod
11/19/2002, 08:52 PM
Can leopard wrasses be kept with shrimp (cleaner, blood and pepps?)