PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Thread

rick s
01/03/2008, 03:17 PM
The Salifert forum has been removed from the Sponsor forums section. Hmmmmmm.......

JMBoehling
01/03/2008, 03:35 PM
They still have a link under the sponsors tab...

J. Montgomery
01/03/2008, 03:43 PM
Wow . . . I had been following some of the recent threads on there over the past few months since many of the alkalinity test kits were being questioned (included one I bought). There was a lot of bashing going on in that forum.

surfnvb7
01/03/2008, 03:44 PM
actually......thats even more disgusting. the fact that they will remain as a sponsor, but they take the forum away so other members won't see all of the complaint threads. and now no one has any way of possibly contacting salifert to get something straightened out.

i wonder if they will also be removing any threads in the chemistry section that also complain about the salifert kits??

i honestly hope salifert goes under, they've lost my business. now i just have to figure out which kits to go to, after my current salifert ones run out.

J. Montgomery
01/03/2008, 03:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513420#post11513420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
actually......thats even more disgusting. the fact that they will remain as a sponsor, but they take the forum away so other members won't see all of the complaint threads.
I'm going to be optimistic on this one and assume that the link in the Sponsors forum has been forgotten about or overlooked by whoever deleted the Salifert forum.

twon8
01/03/2008, 03:51 PM
i noticed this last night, i figure it will be brought up in the feedback/questions forum soon.

i continue to use and trust the salifert kits, and now they come with a reference solution.

twon8
01/03/2008, 03:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513456#post11513456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
I'm going to be optimistic on this one and assume that the link in the Sponsors forum has been forgotten about or overlooked by whoever deleted the Salifert forum.

i doubt it is deleted, likely just hidden until someone from salifert has the time to respond to all the bashing.

surfnvb7
01/03/2008, 03:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513456#post11513456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery

yeah, you are prob right, but for some reason after all that has happened i can see salifert wanting the forum removed just to prevent all of the bashing threads from being seen.

aqua11878
01/03/2008, 04:40 PM
got the (new and improved) alk test kit and the dye was red five days ago now its peach....witch makes my results very light colored and hard to read on the transition. i dont know if this is THE problem that people are having. its still good i assume...it reads with the check solution...but so hard to read...whats up with this dye:mad2:

surfnvb7
01/03/2008, 05:03 PM
i haven't seen the dye yet, but it doesn't make much since to give people something that goes bad in a couple of days after being opened.

rick s
01/03/2008, 05:48 PM
FWIW. I recently tried one of the Elos Alk test kits. It only measures in whole numbers so I doubled the water sample and then it took twice as many drops to change color, then, divided the number of drops by 2 (which gave me readings in .5's).

I still have one Salifert alk kit that I trust (out of 3) due to it's older dates, and it compares to a friend's Salifert kit (also with an old date). The Elos kit matches those Salifert kits.

The Salifert kit read 8.8dkh.
The Elos started to change at 17 drops (8.5dkh) and was fully changed at 18 drops (9.0dkh). 8.8 is right in the middle of that color change. So, at least for now, I am comfortable that I can trust the Elos Alk kit.

mr294
01/03/2008, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11514259#post11514259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s
FWIW. I recently tried one of the Elos Alk test kits. It only measures in whole numbers so I doubled the water sample and then it took twice as many drops to change color, then, divided the number of drops by 2 (which gave me readings in .5's).

I still have one Salifert alk kit that I trust (out of 3) due to it's older dates, and it compares to a friend's Salifert kit (also with an old date). The Elos kit matches those Salifert kits.

The Salifert kit read 8.8dkh.
The Elos started to change at 17 drops (8.5dkh) and was fully changed at 18 drops (9.0dkh). 8.8 is right in the middle of that color change. So, at least for now, I am comfortable that I can trust the Elos Alk kit.

Don't know if you've read this yet Rick

http://www.mbenassireef.com/?cat=17

J. Montgomery
01/03/2008, 08:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11515299#post11515299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr294
Don't know if you've read this yet Rick

http://www.mbenassireef.com/?cat=17
Thats a pretty wild read, very reminiscent of "All your base are belong to us" type translations. But once you get past that, I like his methods, especially the use of NIST standards (thats what we used at the CDC in the analytical chemistry labs). I'll be keeping my eye out for some Elos test kits.

Neptune777
01/04/2008, 10:33 AM
I just used the last bit of my Old Salifert Alk kit yesterday...looks like I am going to give Elos a whirl...

rick s
01/04/2008, 11:31 AM
Good read Brandon! Thanks for the link.

beerguy
01/04/2008, 11:34 AM
Folks - Salifert didn't request that the forum be closed. That was a Reef Central decision. Until we're able to get a response from them directly we thought it best to end the rampant speculation. It doesn't do anyone any good.

As a Salifert customer, it's as disturbing to me as it is to you but going down this path isn't the solution.

Cheers