PDA

View Full Version : homemade fish food for FOWLR?

julianp
01/03/2008, 01:44 PM
I'm starting to near the end of my "tub full of random, LFS-bought frozen fish food packages" and have been considering doing a homemade batch from here on out of a variety of grocery-store-bought stuff blended/chopped with gelatin, selcon, garlic, nori , and possibly a little beta glucan added and then frozen in sheets like I've seen some people on here do for their reefs.

Before I do, I just wanted to check in and see if any of you with FOWLR tanks have had success with this? I'd be be making an all-in-one sheet to feed a trigger, porcupine puffer, two tangs, a goby and a few damsels.

My goal is to be able to break off a chunk at feeding time and just thaw it in some tank water before feeding to save a little time each day because the mixing of all of the individual foods now takes up time every night that I'd rather use to just sit back and watch the tank.

Any suggestions on what to add or what not to add to the food mix?

Thanks for your time,
Julian

clekchau
01/03/2008, 02:17 PM
shrimp, squid, clam, mussell, smelt, garlic, nori, peas, vitaman like zoe or selcon is what i use and they love it and cheap to make too. get most of the stuff at asian grocery store.

julianp
01/03/2008, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11512850#post11512850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clekchau
shrimp, squid, clam, mussell, smelt, garlic, nori, peas, vitaman like zoe or selcon is what i use and they love it and cheap to make too. get most of the stuff at asian grocery store.

Awesome, thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll make my first recipe this weekend.

Do you use gelatin or anything to bind it all together or just chop/blend and freeze?