PDA

View Full Version : LTA causing other Anenomes to suffer?

toddw
01/02/2008, 08:25 PM
I have a well established reef tank 12yrs + old. 90gal with refugium and sump. I recently added a white LTA with a skunkback clown to my tank. Soon after my purple carpet (10yrs my tank) and my three rose anenomes seem to be having difficulty. The carpet, which is my oldest "pet" shrunk up and stayed that way for 3 days. It has always been very large and has thrived with its pair of percula clowns. It is usually larger than a dinner plate. I also have three Rose anenomes in the reef.

I'm not sure of the cause of this change. I am only guessing that the problem is the new anenome. All other corals, leathers, polyps, and fish seem perfectly fine and happy. Apart from the anenomes, everythng else looks terrific.

Has anyone experienced a LTA that gives off something that causes other anenomes to suffer? Is this a plausible explanation?

The LTA came from Bali and is white on top and orangish brown on the bottom.

I have done a 25gal water change and added a sac of carbon to the sump.

I'm really worried about the purple carpet. Its an old friend.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Todd

phender
01/02/2008, 09:52 PM
It is possible that the LTA is causing some sort of irritation to the other anemones.
Even if it is only a slim chance that the LTA is causing the problem, I would remove it in favor of the 10 yr. old carpet.

toddw
01/02/2008, 10:22 PM
Phil

Thanks for the advice. I'm really grasping at straws here. I'm not sure the LTA could be causing the problem. The carpet could just be reaching the end the road. I'm not sure how long they typically last. However, as I said above, it has been very happy for a very, very, long time. I have never seen it looking like this.

I have to also say that the carpet did sustain a minor injury last week when it got partially intangled with the intake of a PH. I had moved it near him but had pointed back to the opposite side of the tank towards the new anenome. I was hoping to discourage the LTA from moving to the front glass of my tank. The new LTA does not seem to be happy as it has been in constant motion since I got it. First it moved to the front glass, then it moved around to the back of the tank.

The carpet got caught for about half an hour with the strainer screen on the PH. A pinky nail size piece got entangled. I carefully cut away the plastic and set it free and it seemed to sustain only a minor injury from the incident. It was fully extended for the next two days after that.

It shrunk up on the third day. My gut feeling is that the injury is not the problem. This happened once before many years ago and it recovered from much worse. Last weeks injury was quite minor.

The fact that the three rose aneomes are also unhappy and shrunk up leads me to think it is the LTA causing the problem.

I am preparing another water change and will make a decision tomorrow about whether to keep the LTA.

Todd

timrandlerv10
01/02/2008, 10:34 PM
do you run carbon? i would be interested to see what high-flow through a large amount of carbon would do...i would guess that it wouldnt last long, how many times has it been implied that carbon loses 'x' percentage of its efficacy in the first week, etc?

if you have a media reactor or hob filter or can just run it somewhere, i would really like to see what happens. i think to have any type of scientific value, it would have to be for at least 6-8 days, and you may need to replace the carbon after the first 2 or 3 (due to the high volume of...i wont say it...'chemicals').

if you do, please post as much info as you can--type of carbon, amount, flow through carbon, when replaced, as well as subjective characteristics of all the nems in question.

THANKS!

tim

phil--chime in here please!!!

toddw
01/02/2008, 11:37 PM
Tim

I first added carbon as soon as I noticed the carpet did not appear normal that was Sat morning. I replaced the carbon with fresh on Wednesday morning. It is in a high flow position in my sump. My skimmer is internal and flows into a submerged flowerpot used to capture bubbles that leave the skimmer. I have the carbon in the bottom of the flowerpot. It is getting lots of flow.

I am using Black Diamond brand carbon. Whenever I use carbon I usually let soak a week or so and remove as part of my routine. I don't run it constantly, only when my water looks a little dingy or something looks unusually unhappy. It clears it right up.

Todd

timrandlerv10
01/03/2008, 12:08 AM
well so much for that idea. i've been researching and trying to get some insight on multiple anemone species in the same tank. its not looking good for either of us :(

this may help you a bit:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemcompfaqs.htm

i think the new nem needs to come out...sorry...

toddw
01/03/2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the excellent link. There was alot of useful info there.

I have done a second water change and will check on the tank later today. If my carpet is still in distress I will remove the LTA and skunkback clown and return it to my LFS.

After reading WWM website it is pretty clear that this anenome is not compatible with the rest in my tank.

Todd

toddw
01/03/2008, 11:41 PM
After removing the LTA and returning it to the LFS I have seen an almost immediate improvement in my carpet and to some extent my roses. They are looking significantly better. I have my fingers crossed that this event is coming to happy end. The next few days will tell the tale. More carbon and a third water change, hopefully, will do the trick.

Thank you Tim and Phil for your imput. Your help was greatly appreciated.

I'll post a follow up in a couple of days.

The lesson learned yet again, and I am as guilty as a beginner, do your research before you buy! I honestly did not consider this purchase as a potential problem

Todd

phender
01/04/2008, 08:50 PM
I hope everything works out. I am guilty of doing the same sort of thing at times and I should know better. ;)

toddw
01/06/2008, 04:01 PM
It has been three days since I removed the LTA and returned it to the store. My rose anenomes have returned to normal. My purple carpet on the other hand is still struggling. It is fairly droopy most of the time. It collapses at night and lays flat. When the lights come on it inflates to about saucer size. Its colour is muted and looks lack lustre at best. When it was inflated I tried to feed it a half a silverside. It refused to open its mouth and eventually dropped the food.

I don't know if there is anything I can do for it but wait and see.

Suggestions??

Todd

phender
01/06/2008, 04:12 PM
It is in a tank and location where it has been thriving for 10 years. Other than to continue the water changes and keeping your carbon fresh, I'm not sure there is much else you can do.

Sending my best wishes.

timrandlerv10
01/06/2008, 05:35 PM
have you been testing your ph, alk and salinity? i know when i've seen lots of water changes done in short succession, sometimes they get a little out of order

(ok, when **I** do lots of water changes...)

i think because we do them quickly, the new water isnt always as good as we think it is...temp is a little off, buffer in salt mix isnt what it is usually, salt isnt completely dissolved, whatever. anyway, its worth a shot to check.

good luck!

tim

toddw
01/06/2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I have not tested for ages other than salinity and temp. When I mix SW I always let it age 24hrs with a heater before a water change. My tank is old and everything else in there looks fine. All other inhabitants in the tank look normal and thriving. Water looks crisp. I could be wrong but I doubt anything is off kilter (sp). In the past, when water parameters have been off, I can see the differences in my critters. I think it is just not going to make it. Whatever the LTA did it just has knocked the life out of my carpet. I have never seen it look like this after all these years. ...sad

Todd

timrandlerv10
01/06/2008, 10:23 PM
hang in there...i'm betting on a complete recovery--i dont think the 'chemical warfare' between the two would have been able to do enough permanent damage.

dont give up!

toddw
01/10/2008, 11:33 PM
Well another week has gone by. My poor carpet is still hangin in there. Still not recovered but it is still alive. I took some water into my LFS to have it tested. Ca was 380. dKh was 8. Slight trace of Nitrate. Salinity is 1.232. Not perfect but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. I have adjusted my reactor so Ca and dkh should improve over next week. I have done three 25gal water changes so far and replaced my carbon every 3 days. All other organisims seem happy and thriving.

Still don't know if it will make it but it has not croaked yet! I have my fingers crossed.

Todd

garygb
01/10/2008, 11:45 PM
A specific gravity of 1.025 or 1.026 might be preferable. You could just top off evaporated water with full strength salt water to bring it up slowly.