PDA

View Full Version : Reefer Sympathy

iCam
01/02/2008, 03:42 AM
DEAR ABBY (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucda/20080102/lf_ucda/womansgoodfortuneisreasontopayitforward) : When is it OK to correct the mispronunciation of a word? I need to, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
My husband, "Rob," is an intelligent and educated man, but he has no idea how to pronounce some words that he uses on a daily basis. Most of these words pertain to Rob's hobby, which is salt-water aquariums, and I'm afraid his credibility is taking a beating because of it. He talks about his tank a lot. Rob knows what he's talking about, but he doesn't know how to say it. Should I say something to him? -- TREADING WATER IN HAWAII

DEAR TREADING: It is no more "snobbish" to say to one's mate, "Honey, I love you, but you're mispronouncing that word," than to tell him that his zipper is open. It shows that you care. When you mention it, do it in private, and be sure to have a dictionary close by. After that, what he chooses to do about it is his choice.

Freed
01/02/2008, 04:02 AM
Pretty sure it must be BrianD's wife. I think he's in Hawaii right now on vacation.

Gawain1974
01/02/2008, 07:05 AM
:lol:

When I worked at a LFS, I loved hearing all the different variations of "cheatomorpha" and "acropora."

dc
01/02/2008, 08:06 AM
LOL, I have my own way and I'm right....

Nina51
01/02/2008, 08:27 AM
on a similar note, i love it when one of my boys calls and asks me to have a warrant "squashed". i tell 'em ok, i'll have the judge sit on it. :rolleye1: