PDA

View Full Version : Doggy Doors

Satori
01/01/2008, 09:42 AM
We want to get a doggy door, but I have questions. One that goes into the sliding door would be the easiest, but do they latch securely? Is there enough room left over to get in and out the door? The other kind is one that goes into the wall, but I'm hesitant to cut a hole in the house. Is that really that big a deal? How about resale value if there's a hole in the wall?

Also, we want to make sure the cats can't get out through it. Have any of you tried the radio controlled doggy doors? The ones where the dog wears a collar and the door only opens for them. Can a cat push open a regular door for a large dog?

Ritten
01/01/2008, 09:51 AM
We got the one from Petco for our slider. Could not believe the quality. Very well made. Love it. I'm not sure how to answer the if there is room to get in and out of the door because we have little dogs and thus, the little door. Our cat can and does push the door open. I would think a cat could open the larger dog door as well.

BigSkyBart
01/01/2008, 10:02 AM
in the past I've used (well, my dogs has) the dog door that gets installed into a regular door, no problems and they are very easy to secure/lock at night.
no resale issues, when ready to sell/move replace the door or better yet put the original door back on after having purchased an economy model door to cut the doggie door into

side note:

get the prowler/peeper issue sorted out before putting any easy access point in your home

Satori
01/01/2008, 10:13 AM
Good point Bart.
As far as cutting it into a door, the only door that goes into the back yard is the glass slider. And it's tempered so I can't cut it. (I checked)

Ritten, thanks for letting me know that your cats can open it.

BigSkyBart
01/01/2008, 10:19 AM
how was I supposed to know you only had a slider in the back of the house?
you never sent me the blueprints! :lol:

dc
01/01/2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, if you don't want your cats out, I'd pass. Our little 4 pound pomeranian could get in and out of ours that we had for a 100lb lab.

Satori
01/01/2008, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11496830#post11496830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
how was I supposed to know you only had a slider in the back of the house?
you never sent me the blueprints! :lol:

http://mike.magnuson.com/bluebell/blueprint.jpg

BigSkyBart
01/01/2008, 10:53 AM
dude, I hope you didn't pay too much for that place, those corners are wayyyyyyyyyy crooked ;)

:lol:

pnosko
01/01/2008, 11:52 AM
But it came with curtains. ;-)

dinoman
01/01/2008, 12:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11496977#post11496977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
dude, I hope you didn't pay too much for that place, those corners are wayyyyyyyyyy crooked ;)

:lol:

Shhhh....they're built that way nowadays. Something to do with "modern feel" :rolleyes:.