PDA

View Full Version : NFL Teams Are Sitting And Even Deactivating Players in Week 17: What's the Deal?

joeychitwood
12/31/2007, 09:27 AM
I intellectually understand the stated reason for sitting and even deactivating starting NFL football players during Week 17 of the season, that being so that they are not exposed to the possibility of injury before the playoffs start. However, don't the teams owe their fans a better effort than this? Don't the players and coaches have more pride and competitive drive than to let a game go in order to rest their stars for the playoffs? When did it become acceptable to give up like this?

To answer my own questions, I think it became acceptable when the dollar became more important than honor, when the players became more important than the fans, and when the owners came to value return on investment more than an honest effort to win every game possible.

On the other hand, who didn't smile when Brett Favre high-fived the referee after a touchdown pass yesterday? Even though he eventually sat out when the game seemed in hand, Favre plays the game with heart, integrity and enthusiasm. I wish the rest of the NFL displayed those qualities.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 09:34 AM
In case you did not watch the pats/giants game you would have clearly seen honor and pride displayed on the field. Both teams were in the playoffs but both teams played the game like a playoff game.

joeychitwood
12/31/2007, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489867#post11489867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
In case you did not watch the pats/giants game you would have clearly seen honor and pride displayed on the field. Both teams were in the playoffs but both teams played the game like a playoff game. I saw the Patriots/Giants game and agree with you. However, if I had paid big bucks for four tickets to the Indianapolis game and watched Peyton Manning sitting on the bench with the Colts behind, I would have been pretty upset. That is only one example of many from yesterday.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 09:54 AM
Well Manning on the bench helped out my Titans big time.

Q-ball
12/31/2007, 10:34 AM
I'm with you Joey, I find it sad as well. I understand why (the money) they do it, but still...kinda stinks IMO.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 10:42 AM
Money, why in the world risk your star players for injury if you are already in the playoffs? If the colts lose manning chances are they are not going far. The only reason the pats and the giants played so hard is for one team to be the spoiler and one team to break the record books. But if there is nothing on the line why risk your key players? It makes no sense to risk your key players if you are already in. Its called common sense and I am sure the fans would be very happy if Peyton broke his arm by haynesworth or got some other kind of injury. Its called playing it smart and thinking for the future.

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2007, 11:00 AM
Do you really think the NE/NY game would have been played the same had the Cheatriots not been going for the perfect season?

I remember back in the 80's Lakers coach Pat Reily got majorly fined for holding Magic out of a game leading into the playoffs.

Maybe what they should do is make gaining the home field advantage based on win/loss AND the result of your final game of the season. In other words even if you had a better record if your opponent won their final game and you lost yours, they would get the home field. For the amount of money football is making I dont think it is too much to ask that they make an effort to win every game they play.

They also need to tweak the way draft picks are awarded so a team wont tank a game to get the higher pick.

joeychitwood
12/31/2007, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490237#post11490237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
Its called common sense and I am sure the fans would be very happy if Peyton broke his arm by haynesworth or got some other kind of injury. Its called playing it smart and thinking for the future. To those of us who remember the days of playing EVERY game to win, of trying your hardest each time you walked on the field, it's called sad. But then again, what could be more important than money. I guess nothing is.

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 11:31 AM
"Protecting their investment" is the phraseology used to explain sitting their star players.

I can remember pro players working off season construction jobs to make ends meet.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490559#post11490559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkh0331
"Protecting their investment" is the phraseology used to explain sitting their star players.

I can remember pro players working off season construction jobs to make ends meet.

We are in a different day and age.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490461#post11490461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
To those of us who remember the days of playing EVERY game to win, of trying your hardest each time you walked on the field, it's called sad. But then again, what could be more important than money. I guess nothing is.

Why in the world do you need to win a game that you don't need to win?

If Peyton got hurt, the fans would all be saying why in the world did you play him?

MiddletonMark
12/31/2007, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489867#post11489867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
In case you did not watch the pats/giants game you would have clearly seen honor and pride displayed on the field.
Honor?

You mean that guy who tried to poke his finger in the other guy's eyes?

-----

IME, it's been this way a while.

I recall at my only Lambeau Field game, I saw the Broncos vs. Packers in '96 I think.

It was a few games before playoffs, and Broncos sat Elway [and chose to get blown out] as they were concerned over giving any `secrets' away before the SuperBowl.
Broncos, in usual fashion, didn't even make it to the Divisional Playoff. :lmao:

Packers played Favre, I think ended up winning the Super Bowl that year.

I'll never respect the Broncos, they might as well have not even shown up for the game.

I do understand this practice in terms of highly-dangerous positions [Packers rested Driver yesterday who takes quite a number of nasty hits every game .... probably wise to give those hits to a rookie].

But to sit all or most of the main players in a game, choosing to lose pathetically .... IMO that's a slap in the fans faces.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490611#post11490611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
Honor?

You mean that guy who tried to poke his finger in the other guy's eyes?

-----

IME, it's been this way a while.

I recall at my only Lambeau Field game, I saw the Broncos vs. Packers in '96 I think.

It was a few games before playoffs, and Broncos sat Elway [and chose to get blown out] as they were concerned over giving any `secrets' away before the SuperBowl.
Broncos, in usual fashion, didn't even make it to the Divisional Playoff. :lmao:

Packers played Favre, I think ended up winning the Super Bowl that year.

I'll never respect the Broncos, they might as well have not even shown up for the game.

I do understand this practice in terms of highly-dangerous positions [Packers rested Driver yesterday who takes quite a number of nasty hits every game .... probably wise to give those hits to a rookie].

But to sit all or most of the main players in a game, choosing to lose pathetically .... IMO that's a slap in the fans faces.

There was a ton of pride and honor displayed in the game. And some may say that the eye poking was a show of pride and honor and a little bit nerves as well.

MiddletonMark
12/31/2007, 11:46 AM
IMO, the eye poking showed me a lack of professionalism and lack of respect for the other team.

I thought it very classless, hope the NFL throws a big fine his way. [I'd prefer suspension for a game, but that's unlikely]

joeychitwood
12/31/2007, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490592#post11490592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
Why in the world do you need to win a game that you don't need to win? Vince Lombardi had a few thoughts on the topic:

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

"If you can accept losing, you can't win."

"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2007, 11:49 AM
By the Colts not putting in an effort it allowed a team to back into the playoffs that wouldn't have if an effort had been put into beating an obviously inferior team.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490724#post11490724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
By the Colts not putting in an effort it allowed a team to back into the playoffs that wouldn't have if an effort had been put into beating an obviously inferior team.

Thats why the Titans only lost by 2 points last time they played each other.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490700#post11490700 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
Vince Lombardi had a few thoughts on the topic:

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

"If you can accept losing, you can't win."

"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Vince would even agree that if you did not NEED to win it would be plain ole stupid to risk your key players. Should NFL teams play their heart out during the pre season and risk injury? Don't think so. And guess what, teams don't play their heart out during preseason.

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2007, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490747#post11490747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
Thats why the Titans only lost by 2 points last time they played each other.

THIS game the Colts pulled their whole first sting by the second quarter and still only lost by 6. Tenn doesn't deserve to be there and it will be clearly demonstrated next week:D

beerguy
12/31/2007, 12:21 PM
It's part of the culture. Even the commentators on the Pats/Giants game talked about it; the season doesn't matter if you can't win the prize. It's about the championship, not the individual games.

joeychitwood
12/31/2007, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490768#post11490768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
Vince would even agree that if you did not NEED to win it would be plain ole stupid to risk your key players. I don't ever recall Bart Starr sitting out a game to protect his knees for a bigger game. Lombardi didn't play that way.

NFL teams play the Super Bowl for the Lombardi Trophy. Once again, Vince said, "Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing." I think he'd roll over in his grave if he saw the pampering and pandering that goes on in the NFL right now; throwing a game away, playing to lose and treating the fans to a lack of effort with no intent to win the game.

Misled
12/31/2007, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490654#post11490654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
And some may say that the eye poking was a show of pride and honor and a little bit nerves as well.

That depends on whether you're the pooker or the pookie!!!!

jpfelix
12/31/2007, 02:13 PM
eye poking is never a sign of honor. a punch or a wedgie maybe, not eye poking.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490997#post11490997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
I don't ever recall Bart Starr sitting out a game to protect his knees for a bigger game. Lombardi didn't play that way.

NFL teams play the Super Bowl for the Lombardi Trophy. Once again, Vince said, "Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing." I think he'd roll over in his grave if he saw the pampering and pandering that goes on in the NFL right now; throwing a game away, playing to lose and treating the fans to a lack of effort with no intent to win the game.

We are in a different day and age. Its not the old days anymore.

bluerug
12/31/2007, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490946#post11490946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
It's part of the culture. Even the commentators on the Pats/Giants game talked about it; the season doesn't matter if you can't win the prize. It's about the championship, not the individual games.

Agreed only when it comes to games you don't need to win to get into the playoffs, but first off you need to win games first to be able to put your team in a position to take a break towards the end of the season.

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 02:41 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/dkh0331/nundance.gif

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2007, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491945#post11491945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
We are in a different day and age. Its not the old days anymore.

Thats the point, lack of class and integrity. Used to be players respected the fact that it took a team to break them lose for the TD so you didn't have the chicken dances in the end zone. Teams also used to respect the fact it was the cheeks in the seats that paid there salaries.

Flatlander
12/31/2007, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490898#post11490898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
THIS game the Colts pulled their whole first sting by the second quarter and still only lost by 6. Tenn doesn't deserve to be there and it will be clearly demonstrated next week:D

The Browns, Vikings, Saints and whoever, have nobody to blame but themselves. They all lost the previous week, when they could have wrapped up a spot.

Period. :lol:

hubris007
12/31/2007, 08:59 PM
Win the championship or get the best first round pick. Those are the only two goals worth achieving these days, with the exception of the occasional spoiler game. It's been headed that way for years.

With that being the goal, why WOULD you play your starters in a game that doesn't work toward those goals?

Until the NFL comes up with some new prizes for dignity and/or effort, i highly doubt things are going to change for the better.

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2007, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11494629#post11494629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flatlander
The Browns, Vikings, Saints and whoever, have nobody to blame but themselves. They all lost the previous week, when they could have wrapped up a spot.

Period. :lol:

No doubt about that but it doesn't change the fact the Titans didn't really have to play their way in.

witfull
01/01/2008, 06:21 AM
the playoffs are called the second season. its all or nothing battle. you want your best there to play. thats the way any tournament is. also on every team there are second and third team players. these guys are the supporting cast. this group doesnt get much "field experience" during the year due to the first string trying to win to get to the playoffs. week 17, if you have made the playoffs, is a chance to give the backups some field time. you never know when a first stringer may go down and guess what, that backup is now in the big picture and needs to know he can get his game on.

joeychitwood
01/01/2008, 07:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11494064#post11494064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Thats the point, lack of class and integrity. Used to be players respected the fact that it took a team to break them lose for the TD so you didn't have the chicken dances in the end zone. Teams also used to respect the fact it was the cheeks in the seats that paid there salaries. The TEAM aspect of sports is fading into history unfortunately.

Recently, Kyle Okposo, an NHL-drafted underclassman player for the Minnesota Gophers hockey team was "pulled" from the college ranks by the GM of the New York Islanders into the pros because Okposo was no longer developing "appropriately" as a Gopher under the coaching of Don Lucia. The Islanders GM said he had to get Okposo out of the college team so his "personal development" could continue. (This reason he emailed to the Minneapolis Star and Tribune newspaper.(

College hockey is a TEAM sport. Though many of the kids playing eventually wind up in the NHL, they are playing for a team, to win and do the best they can for the team! What is happening?

It may be a different era, but I sure don't think it's a better era. I feel a real loss for the nobility and integrity of sports.

bluerug
01/01/2008, 10:06 AM
Gas used to be 10 cents a gallon but we have learned to pay a lot more. You can't expect things to stay the same forever. Its called changes.

joeychitwood
01/01/2008, 10:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11496777#post11496777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluerug
Gas used to be 10 cents a gallon but we have learned to pay a lot more. You can't expect things to stay the same forever. Its called changes. I understand change, but not all change is for the better. I think this new philosophy in sports is selfish and self-centered. The fans and the team have become secondary to the individual player and the accumulation of money by the owners. How long do you think sports can survive with this approach? At some point, the fans (who pay the salaries of the players, coaches and owners) may decide to quit going to games where no effort will be put forth to win.

bluerug
01/01/2008, 11:19 AM
Thats why the NFL are making the most money they have ever made. They must be doing something right.

jpfelix
01/01/2008, 08:25 PM
how many stadiums are not sold out for every game? that should be the primary concern. if the fans fill the seats, they'll watch the road games on tv, they'll buy merchandise, they support "their" team.

when the fans leave the game, everyone loses.

many prefer to watch competitive games between teams, not a game in which individuals are the entertainment.

PaintGuru
01/01/2008, 09:35 PM
Umm don't you think the fans of the playoff team would be peeeeeved if they lost on of their best players for the enjoyed of the fans in week 17? That is just plain stupid.

Agu
01/02/2008, 12:10 AM
I feel a real loss for the nobility and integrity of sports.

No personal affront meant but that's a naive statement when it comes to professional sports. It's a business where maximizing profits and return on investment rule. The only difference between pro wrestling and other professional sports is pro wrestling is honest about their dishonesty.

joeychitwood
01/02/2008, 08:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11502179#post11502179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
No personal affront meant but that's a naive statement when it comes to professional sports. It's a business where maximizing profits and return on investment rule. I understand that. But the whole point of this thread is that it hasn't always been that way. I'm just lamenting the loss of a work ethic in sports which is also felt in industry, education and every other aspect of American life. Winning used to be a reward in itself. Now, it's just a means to a different end, the accumulation of money.

hubris007
01/02/2008, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11503144#post11503144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
I'm just lamenting the loss of a work ethic in sports which is also felt in industry, education and every other aspect of American life. Winning used to be a reward in itself.

I remember back in the day when you could go on a good, ol' fashioned killing spree just for the joy of doing it. Now everybody and there brother does it just to get on TruTv (formerly courttv). It just ain't right.

joeychitwood
01/02/2008, 09:39 AM
I give up....