PDA

View Full Version : Possible peeping Tom?

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:21 AM
This is kind of crazy, but I think I have a regular visitor in the back yard. I keep finding Marlboro red cigarette butts in the back yard, but I don't know if they've been there since before we moved in, or if they came from one of the roofers and I'm just finding them one by one, or what. There's a wash on the other side of my back fence, and I found fresh foot prints in the dirt right up against my fence. AND, there's blood drips on the back patio. That could have been from our dog, maybe he caught himself on something sharp, but I haven't found any injuries on him.

Yesterday I set up my motion activated wireless camera pointing out to the back patio, and this morning I had a motion activated video from 30 minutes before I got up, but there was nothing on it. It wasn't the dog because he stays inside at night. Could have been a bird or something.

Anyway, it's pretty freaky to think someone might be coming into my back yard and staying long enough to smoke cigarettes. Other than the camera, I don't know what else to do other than to make sure all the doors and windows stay locked. Or it could just be my imagination. It's driving me nuts! I might start camping out there with the .45. :confused:

Nina51
12/31/2007, 09:27 AM
yikes! that's scary. is there any way you could hide a camcorder and hit "record" right before bedtime and get 4-6 hours of tape?

the only peepers we ever had were raccoons. i set the camcorder to tape and had about an hour of 3 raccoons raiding the bird feeders. they don't smoke so i didn't find any butts.

JokerGirl
12/31/2007, 09:28 AM
I would keep your camera up for now. Does it have night vision on it? That might be helpful in the event that someone is hanging out in your backyard. Freshly smoked cigarette butts should be "clean" looking... the paper around it fades as it's been out in the weather.

Another thing you could do is get one of those driveway alarms and set it up right there so it can alert you if someone is there.

Make sure to keep all your blinds closed... there's nothing to peep if they can't see through the windows. Other than that... maybe contact them and let them know of your suspicions.

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 09:28 AM
motion sensor gun maybe? if you don't see it, the bullet will and it should still be there when you get up. just a thought.

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 09:30 AM
Might be a peeping tom-ette, drooling over you Mike.

dinoman
12/31/2007, 09:35 AM
:) Do you have any motion lights setup back there? Might be something else to help discourage anybody from hanging out back there if they are. Keep your camera up and keep blinds down and things locked up. Could be something completely simple as a bird packing in the cigarette butts but best to be safe. Also wouldn't hurt to maybe ask a neighbor or two in the area if they've seen anybody around or if they've had problems before.

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:35 AM
The camera doesn't have night vision, but I've been leaving the patio light on over night. I put a brighter bulb in last night and tested it by going out there and "prowling" around. My motion triggered the camera and I could make out my face clearly.

I've tried to determine the age of the cigarette butts, but it's tough. I did find one yesterday that still had ash paper on the end and when I flicked it, it fell off, so I think that one was pretty fresh.

A driveway alarm might be useful.

dc
12/31/2007, 09:37 AM
LOL, david could be right....I'd leave the camera up myself. Maybe they saw it and got scared off, either way it would be creepy.

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489881#post11489881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
LOL, david could be right....I'd leave the camera up myself. Maybe they saw it and got scared off, either way it would be creepy.

I did enable the LED on the front of the camera with the intention of drawing attention to it. If it is someone, just knowing they're on camera should be deterrant enough.

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489878#post11489878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
Also wouldn't hurt to maybe ask a neighbor or two in the area if they've seen anybody around or if they've had problems before.

That would require meeting my neighbors! :eek1:

mr9iron
12/31/2007, 09:45 AM
I would stick with the camera or other recording device for now. Does your dog not bark when someone comes near your yard? If you have someone entering your property unlawfully and you find them, then tell them to leave immediately or you will call the police. If you don't want to force confrontation with them then I would just call the police first. Make sure and get the most accurate description you can. i.e. Sex, race, height, weight, clothing, direction of travel and anything else that stands out. As for camping out with your pistol, I don't think that is a good idea. I would hate for you to be put in a situation that may end up in you having to present your weapon and use it. Whatever your choice is, stay safe.

dinoman
12/31/2007, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489910#post11489910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
That would require meeting my neighbors! :eek1:

They could be nice! :lol:

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489924#post11489924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr9iron
I would stick with the camera or other recording device for now. Does your dog not bark when someone comes near your yard? If you have someone entering your property unlawfully and you find them, then tell them to leave immediately or you will call the police. If you don't want to force confrontation with them then I would just call the police first. Make sure and get the most accurate description you can. i.e. Sex, race, height, weight, clothing, direction of travel and anything else that stands out. As for camping out with your pistol, I don't think that is a good idea. I would hate for you to be put in a situation that may end up in you having to present your weapon and use it. Whatever your choice is, stay safe.

The dog isn't a barker. The only time I've heard him bark is at the cat. :rolleyes: Besides, he stayes inside at night.

It's too cold to camp out there anyway. :)

I'll leave the camera up. Maybe it will either dissuade me or prove something. The blood drips on the patio really got me, though. I first noticed them yesterday before my dog was returned, and he was gone nearly a week.

mr9iron
12/31/2007, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489966#post11489966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
The dog isn't a barker. The only time I've heard him bark is at the cat. :rolleyes: Besides, he stayes inside at night.

It's too cold to camp out there anyway. :)

I'll leave the camera up. Maybe it will either dissuade me or prove something. The blood drips on the patio really got me, though. I first noticed them yesterday before my dog was returned, and he was gone nearly a week.

You might contact the local police and make them aware of the situation and request some extra patrol in your neighborhood.

cwegescheide
12/31/2007, 09:59 AM
We had a peeping Tom once.. We were having dinner and a guy was peeping in my sisters window. The neighbor called and said we had somebody peeping in the window. My dad DROPPED the phone and sprinted to the gun cabinet. There was a 10 acre field behind the house which the guy was running across. Dad shot at him a few times with his .357. The sherrif came and he told us if he would have hit him bring him in the house to make it look like an intruder. TRUE STORY.

This was probably 20yrs ago though. Never forget it. What a trip.

Satori
12/31/2007, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490002#post11490002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr9iron
You might contact the local police and make them aware of the situation and request some extra patrol in your neighborhood.

I've considered that. On your end, is that a pretty common request?

mr9iron
12/31/2007, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490023#post11490023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
I've considered that. On your end, is that a pretty common request?

Yes it is. But I live in a city of about 10,000 people so were a smaller more personable department. It's not uncommon for people to go on vacation and ask us to keep an eye on their house for them from time to time.

J. Montgomery
12/31/2007, 10:33 AM
Maybe it's a neighbor's kid sneaking off to smoke cigarettes (drink, smoke something else, etc . . . ) away from the parents house?

Satori
12/31/2007, 10:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490185#post11490185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
Maybe it's a neighbor's kid sneaking off to smoke cigarettes (drink, smoke something else, etc . . . ) away from the parents house?

Probably not. I have a 6 foot wood fence they would have to climb over to get into my yard. Seems like a lot of trouble for a kid looking for a place to smoke.

BethanyM
12/31/2007, 10:37 AM
^^ That's what i was thinking. I used to have to smoke behind a neighbors yard and I couldn't take the butts back with me. That would have been evidence!! I also did this at friends houses when they were underage too. At that age we never really thought about what the neighbors thought of it. As long as they weren't friends or acquaintances of our parents it was a good place to hide.

edit:
well that fence changes my theory. I am blank now.

Satori
12/31/2007, 10:38 AM
The cigarette butts are actually in my yard, near the patio.

Ritten
12/31/2007, 11:44 AM
Mike, are you sure your puppy got out of the yard and your neighbor didn't take him?

Satori
12/31/2007, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490684#post11490684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ritten
Mike, are you sure your puppy got out of the yard and your neighbor didn't take him?

Not entirely. That thought did cross my mind, but the back gate was pried open. The people in that house are all young and "gangsterish" with people coming and going all the time. I've seen cops parked in their car twice on my street. I'm sure it was their house they were watching.

Satori
12/31/2007, 11:57 AM
But then again, I've always been suspicious of all my neighbors no matter where I've lived. :lol:

Sk8r
12/31/2007, 12:00 PM
I would suggest you have a talk with the police, so somebody has it on record there's a problem. I'd suggest you think through what you'd do if somebody invaded your house. But don't think of shooting somebody on your patio. That doesn't count as house.

If the cops are watching your neighbors, your info might actually be valuable to them.

And talking to some of your more reliable neighbors, comparing notes, and getting together with the cops---[we actually had a neighborhood meeting with the police in one neighborhood I was in] can help focus suspicion where it belongs. When we all met we discovered some apparently suspicious behaviors weren't [two cousins lived across the street from each other and were trading supervision of each others' teens] and we discovered we had gun-running activity behind us, including shots fired through a window from a car driving across the BACK lawn. The cops did get them. And the cops knowing who was what in the neighborhood I think was a help to them, too.

BigSkyBart
12/31/2007, 12:01 PM
http://llerrah.com/images/losing_your_mind_lg_clr.gif

Satori
12/31/2007, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490821#post11490821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I would suggest you have a talk with the police, so somebody has it on record there's a problem. I'd suggest you think through what you'd do if somebody invaded your house. But don't think of shooting somebody on your patio. That doesn't count as house.

If the cops are watching your neighbors, your info might actually be valuable to them.

And talking to some of your more reliable neighbors, comparing notes, and getting together with the cops---[we actually had a neighborhood meeting with the police in one neighborhood I was in] can help focus suspicion where it belongs. When we all met we discovered some apparently suspicious behaviors weren't [two cousins lived across the street from each other and were trading supervision of each others' teens] and we discovered we had gun-running activity behind us, including shots fired through a window from a car driving across the BACK lawn. The cops did get them. And the cops knowing who was what in the neighborhood I think was a help to them, too.

I wouldn't shoot someone on the patio if I'm in the house.

A Google of their address just now shows a domestic violence arrest last month. :rolleyes:

jejton
12/31/2007, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490003#post11490003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwegescheide
We had a peeping Tom once.. We were having dinner and a guy was peeping in my sisters window. The neighbor called and said we had somebody peeping in the window. My dad DROPPED the phone and sprinted to the gun cabinet. There was a 10 acre field behind the house which the guy was running across. Dad shot at him a few times with his .357. The sherrif came and he told us if he would have hit him bring him in the house to make it look like an intruder. TRUE STORY.

This was probably 20yrs ago though. Never forget it. What a trip.

Great story. Unfortunately if that was New York, your father would be on trial for attempted murder or something. For some reason many folks think its a crime to protect your family.

mattjfishman
12/31/2007, 12:16 PM
We had a peeping tom once, I was sitting in a chair with my back turned to the window ( It was superbowl sunday a few years back) But any way, I turned around and somebody ran down the stairs and everybody was in!
A few weeks later,It may have been before though,my neighbor was in her house and she walked into the kitchen and somebody was looking in her window!
Later still the same neighbor was turning onto our road from the other road, and somebody tried to get into her car!
Tell us more about the back of your house, like are there any more houses, what is it like behing your house(where you found the foot prints). Did the roofers smoke? If so what kind? You said your dog was gone for a week, correct, Would'nt you have been on the patio a few times in a week?

Ritten
12/31/2007, 12:23 PM
Mike, until you can determine if someone was in your backyard recently, maybe let your dogs out the front door on leashes for a while until you figure out what you are dealing with. I know it's a girly way of looking at things, but I would feel so bad if something happened to your dogs. PUNKS.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/31/2007, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490891#post11490891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jejton
Great story. Unfortunately if that was New York, your father would be on trial for attempted murder or something. For some reason many folks think its a crime to protect your family.

But if you were in NY, you could get batguano to defend you!

YAY! Where's my shootin' gun?

Satori
12/31/2007, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11490915#post11490915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattjfishman
Tell us more about the back of your house, like are there any more houses, what is it like behing your house(where you found the foot prints). Did the roofers smoke? If so what kind? You said your dog was gone for a week, correct, Would'nt you have been on the patio a few times in a week?

I don't know about the roofers. I was never here while they were here. Yes, I go out back every day to smoke (different kind than what I've been finding) so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the blood before.

It's a basic yard, but this shows what kind of fence I have:

http://mike.magnuson.com/yard/yard1.jpg

There's a wash right on the other side of this part of the fence that runs up between all those other houses. That's where the footprints are. All of those houses have block walled-in yards.

http://mike.magnuson.com/yard/fence.jpg

And here are a couple of the blood drips on the patio:

http://mike.magnuson.com/yard/blood.jpg

batguano
12/31/2007, 12:39 PM
^ Yes, indeed. I am always available for such inconveniences... :D

Sorry Mike, this was meant to follow Dewizum's post. Light up your yard like Sun Devil Stadium. Nobody wants to hang out and think nefarious thoughts in the light.

mattjfishman
12/31/2007, 12:41 PM
can we have a pic of the wash?

der_wille_zur_macht
12/31/2007, 12:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491061#post11491061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
a wash

Are you from PA?

Satori
12/31/2007, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491092#post11491092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattjfishman
can we have a pic of the wash?

I would have to carry the step ladder back out there to see over the fence, so, no. :lol:

Satori
12/31/2007, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491096#post11491096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
Are you from PA?

How about arroyo. That's more geograpically representative. :)

batguano
12/31/2007, 12:52 PM
Mike, we had a problem with a possible stalker/disgruntled client earlier this year. My house backs up to a wooded lot. I found a remote security light that operates on solar power at The Home Depot and I put a few of them up in the trees ( I had to mount the solar panels on a galvanized pole and raise them above the tree canopy). It inconveniences the wildlife a little, but it has kept people out of the woods. It's like an episode of The Fugitive if anyone walks back there, lights popping on as they dart through! It's pretty amusing! :lol:

skippy2
12/31/2007, 12:52 PM
My daughter and I had a peeping tom too. The cops also told my bf to shoot the p. tom and drag him in the house before calling the cops. Eventually we found out that he was the son of a woman I had met while I was in the hospital. A couple of yrs. later this same guy raped a 3 yr. old boy and was sentenced to prison where he was later murdered.
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on. Above all, keep your gun in the closet.

Satori
12/31/2007, 12:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491185#post11491185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skippy2
Above all, keep your gun in the closet.

I keep it closer than that. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491185#post11491185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skippy2
My daughter and I had a peeping tom too. The cops also told my bf to shoot the p. tom and drag him in the house before calling the cops. Eventually we found out that he was the son of a woman I had met while I was in the hospital. A couple of yrs. later this same guy raped a 3 yr. old boy and was sentenced to prison where he was later murdered.
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on.

That's terrible. :(

batguano
12/31/2007, 01:01 PM
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on. Above all, keep your gun in the closet.

Yes, definitely put the police in the know. They can increase patrols in your neighborhood. I can't imagine they would be put out by this. Most rural or suburban po's are looking for something do do during the midnight to eight shifts. And, like I said, light it up. Lights and cameras are a good defense. Shooting someone is more likely going to put you in a world of hurt, legally and psychologically (shooting the neighbor's truant kid won't sit well with you over time). Best wishes.

mattjfishman
12/31/2007, 01:04 PM
WAIT I have an idea, when (date) were the prints and butts found? now lets pretend it's that day. When did it last rain? What date were the roofers there? technically if it had rained recently before they were found, and between the roofers being there and when they were found they would have deteriated so if it had rained recently before finding them you should be able to tell the aproxamate age. If it didn't rain then that won't work.

skippy2
Yes, it was a terrible time for us. My daughter and I lived in an upstairs apartment with no steps on the outside of the house. I had to unlock the backdoor and then go up the steps. The cops were called numerous times and all they could figure out was the perp used some type of grappling hook. During all this I was involved in a terrible car accident and had to recuperate at my parents house which was over 40 miles away. The damn perp followed me there too :(

Satori
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491257#post11491257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by batguano
Yes, definitely put the police in the know. They can increase patrols in your neighborhood. I can't imagine they would be put out by this. Most rural or suburban po's are looking for something do do during the midnight to eight shifts. And, like I said, light it up. Lights and cameras are a good defense. Shooting someone is more likely going to put you in a world of hurt, legally and psychologically (shooting the neighbor's truant kid won't sit well with you over time). Best wishes.

I would only shoot someone if they were IN my house. It's not something that I look on lightly.

I've thought about putting a light pole out by the back fence that would light up that part of the wash.

Satori
12/31/2007, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491279#post11491279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattjfishman
WAIT I have an idea, when (date) were the prints and butts found? now lets pretend it's that day. When did it last rain? What date were the roofers there? technically if it had rained recently before they were found, and between the roofers being there and when they were found they would have deteriated so if it had rained recently before finding them you should be able to tell the aproxamate age. If it didn't rain then that won't work.

It has rained since the roofers were here. Some butts look weathered, some look fresh.

mattjfishman
12/31/2007, 01:15 PM
Ok, so technically all of the butts should be weathetred if they came from the roofers, right.

Satori
12/31/2007, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491365#post11491365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattjfishman
Ok, so technically all of the butts should be weathetred if they came from the roofers, right.

Yeah, technically, but I've seen cigarette butts that look pretty fresh even after months, especially in rock yards. They can get buried and protected, and come to the surface when walked on.

buffalobunch
12/31/2007, 01:46 PM
Alright Mike, I've been driving down from Phoenix everynight and peeping on you!! :lol: I just need a place to smoke!! My leg really hurts from getting it stuck on your fence. Ya think you could leave that back gate open for a girl? Jeese!! just kidding. Kinda scary. Hope you find out what's going on before something bad happens

Rock Anemone
12/31/2007, 01:57 PM
Here's what I would do. Stay outside by the fence ALL NIGHT smoking cigarettes. When the intruder comes up to you, tell him that this is your turf, but say it like you're Clint Eastwood.

Satori
12/31/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491597#post11491597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buffalobunch
Alright Mike, I've been driving down from Phoenix everynight and peeping on you!! :lol: I just need a place to smoke!! My leg really hurts from getting it stuck on your fence. Ya think you could leave that back gate open for a girl? Jeese!! just kidding. Kinda scary. Hope you find out what's going on before something bad happens

Phwew, I thought it might be someone unfriendly! :lol:

Satori
12/31/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491660#post11491660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rock Anemone
Here's what I would do. Stay outside by the fence ALL NIGHT smoking cigarettes. When the intruder comes up to you, tell him that this is your turf, but say it like you're Clint Eastwood.

Maybe throw out a little West Side Story dance as well? :lol:

Rock Anemone
12/31/2007, 02:06 PM
That could work..... that could work........ ::thinks::

azrednex
12/31/2007, 02:22 PM
Alright,
#1 pick up ALL of the butts so that any left after that point should be identifiable.
#2 notify the police (this is just good to do and also gives you an "I told you so" in the unfortunate event that you must defend yourself).
#3 If you do shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!

azrednex
12/31/2007, 02:23 PM
Alright,
#1 pick up ALL of the butts so that any left after that point should be identifiable.
#2 notify the police (this is just good to do and also gives you an "I told you so" in the unfortunate event that you must defend yourself).
#3 If you doo shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!

Satori
12/31/2007, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491833#post11491833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by azrednex
Alright,
#3 If you do shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!

I've been picking them up as I find them.

As far as dragging the perp, I wouldn't, but I'm very surprised at some of the responses in this thread where people were told by cops to do just that. Very interesting...

der_wille_zur_macht
12/31/2007, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491834#post11491834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by azrednex
Alright,
#3 If you doo shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!

Do I really have to do it all twice?

MandM
12/31/2007, 04:06 PM
Could the butts be getting tossed over the fence? Kids (and adult pigs) will toss the butts out of their turf. Kids don't want to get caught, adult pigs just want to mark your territory.

An outdoor light would be good. Home Depot has the compact flourescent floods that will light up the yard pretty well. I'd leave them on with the camera going and then switch to the motion sensor.

I've also seen motion-sensing rainbirds. Nothing like getting soaked to make you find another place to smoke. If you can soak the ground near the fence where you think they may be jumping it may also help.

The blood is creepy but it could have been a cat killing something while the dog was away.

Got any friends with a big dog that may want to visit for a while?

Satori
12/31/2007, 04:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11492580#post11492580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MandM
Could the butts be getting tossed over the fence? Kids (and adult pigs) will toss the butts out of their turf. Kids don't want to get caught, adult pigs just want to mark your territory.

An outdoor light would be good. Home Depot has the compact flourescent floods that will light up the yard pretty well. I'd leave them on with the camera going and then switch to the motion sensor.

I've also seen motion-sensing rainbirds. Nothing like getting soaked to make you find another place to smoke. If you can soak the ground near the fence where you think they may be jumping it may also help.

The blood is creepy but it could have been a cat killing something while the dog was away.

Got any friends with a big dog that may want to visit for a while?

The butts I've found have been close to the house, too far to have been flung from the other side of the fence. My yard is all rock so soaking it wouldn't work. :)

The cat theory may be a good one; I've seen one back there a few times.

JokerGirl
12/31/2007, 04:34 PM
One thing I can suggest is that if you have $150 to spare, you can go to Costco and pick up a 2 camera security system. The cameras have nightvision. It looked like a pretty good deal.

Anemone
12/31/2007, 05:21 PM
I only read pages 1 & 3, so I don't know if this might have been suggested, but hooking up the motion sensor to an automatic sprinkler control can be a rude discovery for someone coming into the yard. Nothing like getting unexpectedly wet to discourage night time visitors.

Kevin

Satori
12/31/2007, 05:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11493133#post11493133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Anemone
I only read pages 1 & 3, so I don't know if this might have been suggested, but hooking up the motion sensor to an automatic sprinkler control can be a rude discovery for someone coming into the yard. Nothing like getting unexpectedly wet to discourage night time visitors.

Kevin

That's a good idea! Especially when our night time temps are in the teens.

JJ21
12/31/2007, 06:02 PM
landmines?

catdoc
12/31/2007, 06:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11493420#post11493420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JJ21
landmines?

That's how my dogs protect MY yard.

Satori
12/31/2007, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11493420#post11493420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JJ21
landmines?
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11493496#post11493496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by catdoc
That's how my dogs protect MY yard.

:lol: Jack's working on it!

Slipstream
12/31/2007, 09:12 PM
Well, IF you end up having to shoot somebody, make sure u kill him, cause if you wound him, youll get sued.. lol.. ALSO, AFTER you shoot him, fire a shot in the floor somewhere noticeable, and say it was a warning shot. But yah, that sprinkler idea is a good idea.. But how about one of those little door alarms, that when ya open a door, an alarm goes off, u can hook it up to you fence door, and have the alarm set up in your house where they cant hear it outside, and surprise the perp. :D

oh yah, BTW, when you figure out whats actually going on, TELL US. lol..

Satori
12/31/2007, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11494748#post11494748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slipstream
Well, IF you end up having to shoot somebody, make sure u kill him, cause if you wound him, youll get sued.. lol.. ALSO, AFTER you shoot him, fire a shot in the floor somewhere noticeable, and say it was a warning shot. But yah, that sprinkler idea is a good idea.. But how about one of those little door alarms, that when ya open a door, an alarm goes off, u can hook it up to you fence door, and have the alarm set up in your house where they cant hear it outside, and surprise the perp. :D

oh yah, BTW, when you figure out whats actually going on, TELL US. lol..

One thing I learned in my concealed carry course is that the only time it's legal to shoot is to kill. Reason being, your life or property is in danger and deadly force is the only option. Warning shots are not allowed, and will get you into more trouble than kill shots. Same goes with wound shots - not allowed.

JJ21
12/31/2007, 10:01 PM
but how would you know the peeping tom wasn't planning on harming you or your property?

MandM
12/31/2007, 10:09 PM
You don't know, but you can't shoot until you do know for sure. It has to be immediate danger to life, not property. You can't shoot someone for peeping but you can soak them and make them fall in the dog poop.

JJ21
12/31/2007, 10:28 PM
can you shoot them with airsoft/paintball guns? Or you could leave rakes scattered over your backyard at night?

thegheco
12/31/2007, 11:15 PM
This sounds pretty serious to me.
Consider getting the night vision cameras. I have a set of them , got them at Walmart for under a hundred dollars, bought a nice 12" color tv to hook it up to and they need no wireing.
They are good for up to 100 feet from the camera to the TV set.And you can get additional cameras for the unit, up to 4.
Use them at the front and or back doors or place them both at your back door facing out to your yard.
Then you can watch what is happening during the night from your bed, or anyplace you have your TV set.
And a better idea to leave you back porch light on, then they really pick up any movement.
You can also hook it up to a vcr to record 6 hours of vhs.
They see great in the dark with little light so I would suggest you look into that.
I would not take any of this lightly and get on with your defense of your property and your person.
Best of luck and if you need more info on the camera setup just drop me a pm.
Stay safe .

Zestay
12/31/2007, 11:55 PM
did your kids start smoking? or room mate or spouse? and they are trying to hide it from you?