PDA

View Full Version : Air Travelers-- Don't lose your batteries to airport security

pnosko
12/30/2007, 02:13 AM
http://www.thestreet.com/s/dont-lose-your-batteries-to-airport-security/newsanalysis/hardware/10396317.html

dinoman
12/30/2007, 07:08 AM
I predict lines to get MUCH longer at the security checkin :p. I've been reading about this on my camera board - feelings are mixed. For some its just going to be a total PITB only being able to take 4 (possibly 5 depending on your camera) batteries. Others don't seem to think its so bad. I can't imagine the snarls its going to create at the security though trying to find all those darn batteries. When I flew last month they paid more attention to my boots than my camera bag packed to the hilt with stuff :).

Edit: After reading a bit more nobody seems to have a clue what the new rules on batteries are, different sources read different things and can even say different things depending on how you read it! Some sources quote the lithium weight, some its by number of batteries (what's installed in your device plus two), if its by number is the two per device or 2 total?

I have pity for anybody flying for the first few days of the new year :p.

Jeffrey Porter
12/30/2007, 07:23 AM
to heck with security. i'm still taking 8 AA batteries and 4 camera batteries.

dkh0331
12/30/2007, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482722#post11482722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
I predict lines to get MUCH longer at the security checkin :p. I've been reading about this on my camera board - feelings are mixed. For some its just going to be a total PITB only being able to take 4 (possibly 5 depending on your camera) batteries. Others don't seem to think its so bad. I can't imagine the snarls its going to create at the security though trying to find all those darn batteries. When I flew last month they paid more attention to my boots than my camera bag packed to the hilt with stuff :).

Edit: After reading a bit more nobody seems to have a clue what the new rules on batteries are, different sources read different things and can even say different things depending on how you read it! Some sources quote the lithium weight, some its by number of batteries (what's installed in your device plus two), if its by number is the two per device or 2 total?

I have pity for anybody flying for the first few days of the new year :p.

Not so much.

First - this might effect maybe 5% of the flying public?
Second - Security will just haul your behind off to the side for cavity searches. Won't effect us business folk.

dinoman
12/30/2007, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482811#post11482811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkh0331
Won't effect us business folk.

:) So you're saying when you travel you don't take any spare batteries for your laptop/PDA/Cell phone/blackberry/what have you?

Scuba_Dave
12/30/2007, 05:28 PM
No, just make your own Mfg tags that say they are NOT lithium batteries

der_wille_zur_macht
12/30/2007, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482978#post11482978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
:) So you're saying when you travel you don't take any spare batteries for your laptop/PDA/Cell phone/blackberry/what have you?

No. That's what chargers are for. ;)

drauka99
12/30/2007, 06:35 PM
my camera board is having the same issues. I mean if you are traveling for a long enough time that you need lots of spare batteries then you will likly be checking a bag anyways so just put the batteries in there and call it a day. As far as me the way we read it on my camera board is have the batteries yo are using in your flash charged and in the flash ad your fine, spares will be an issue but if it becomes a big issues then TSA will clarify the rules just like they did with the liquids

dinoman
12/30/2007, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11485879#post11485879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drauka99
my camera board is having the same issues. I mean if you are traveling for a long enough time that you need lots of spare batteries then you will likly be checking a bag anyways so just put the batteries in there and call it a day.

:) Unfortunately you can't put spare/loose batteries in your check-in bags anymore according to the new rules. Only lithium batteries you can have in your checked baggage are ones that are in devices.

I've been reading more on this through the day though and becoming a little more clear, and I was interpreting (as well as plenty of other folks) these couple of lines differently this morning. These two are the ones that everybody seems to be reading differently to mean different things. :)

# Under the new rules, you can bring batteries with up to 8 grams of equivalent lithium content. Most lithium ion batteries in cell phones and laptop computers are below this quantity threshold.

# You can also bring up to two batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold.

So I believe from the way its worded you can take as many batteries UNDER 8 grams of lith content as you want (both in devices and spare). Right or wrong? What it sounds like which would mean camera batteries and such would be safe. 8g of lith content is a pretty big battery. AND THEN, in addition to those batteries under 8g you can also take up to 2 (in devices and spare) which are over 8g but combined less than 25g of lith content (which is a really big battery).

Maybe I'm wrong, just how I'm reading it now - which is different from the other sources I was reading this morning how they were interpreting it ;).

drauka99
12/30/2007, 06:59 PM
yeah i think on my board we read it the same as you Dino - camera (i.e. AA) are bellow the 8 gram limit

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 06:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482978#post11482978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman

Nope. As dwizum said, thats what chargers are for. I can't think of anybody that I work with who does.

dinoman
12/31/2007, 06:42 AM
:D That is just strange sounding nobody takes at least one backup battery for a laptop or something. When I go anywhere I take backup batteries for anything I have backup batteries for!

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 07:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489417#post11489417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
:D That is just strange sounding nobody takes at least one backup battery for a laptop or something. When I go anywhere I take backup batteries for anything I have backup batteries for!

For those of us who travel more than once every 21 years..........

:lol:

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 07:19 AM
well, i always take 2 sets for the camera (4) and 2 sets for the flash (8), and i do take the chargers for both anyway. why be caught without chargeed batteries. granted with the shooting i usually do 1 charge for a set of batts for the camera last a few weeks, but when travelling you use them more so it helps a lot to have spars and take the chargers.

dinoman
12/31/2007, 07:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489474#post11489474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkh0331
For those of us who travel more than once every 21 years..........

:lol:

I travel every Sunday! :rolleyes:

Down to the neighbors a few miles down the road for Sunday breakfast :D.

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 07:28 AM
sure...........................like that qualifies as a venture.

dinoman
12/31/2007, 07:35 AM
Oh it is! I wait all week just to be able to go down and have Sunday breakfast! :D

BigSkyBart
12/31/2007, 08:22 AM
all this worry aboot travel & batteries from the guy the didn't have a spare batt for his camera when he went to SF?

breakfast at the neighbors place doesn't count as a trip unless the neighbor makes you clear security before eating ;)

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 08:42 AM
and no, security is not a dog that wags it's tail when you pet it as you walk through the door.

BigSkyBart
12/31/2007, 08:46 AM
if if uncle grandpa insists on giving you a cavity search before entering the house.....

that might count....

I'd find a new place for sunday breakfast, unless you like that sort of thing ;)

not that there's anything wrong with that

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 08:50 AM
uncle grandpa??

well, i guess it happens in some families.

BigSkyBart
12/31/2007, 08:57 AM
hallmark makes a special series of cards for arkansas & alabama

I'm not sure if they're needed in wyoming...
but if no-one travels....ya never know ;)

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 09:09 AM
good thinking

dinoman
12/31/2007, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11489676#post11489676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeffrey Porter
and no, security is not a dog that wags it's tail when you pet it as you walk through the door.

Its not the dogs have to worry about (2 GSDs, 1 rottie, 1 terrier mix), its the killer 1lb kitten that bites and chews on ankles :eek:

dkh0331
12/31/2007, 09:12 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/20173helping_hand3.jpg

Jeffrey Porter
12/31/2007, 09:13 AM
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!