PDA

View Full Version : iPod/mp3 questions

otolith
12/29/2007, 04:56 PM
So I have an iPod that is formatted for a Mac, but I need to format it for Windows. Is there a program for windows (Vista) that can read songs off an iPod before reformatting it? Also, after reformatting, does one lose all the "extras" that are on the iPod (such as the games, clock, stopwatch, etc.)?

In regards to mp3s, is there that much difference between 128, 192, 256, or 320Kbps? I am "ripping" my CDs into Windows, and those are the options I have. How much more space does a song take up among the various bit rates?

Thanks for your expertise!

VoidRaven
12/29/2007, 05:01 PM
Well, how are you managing your music on the iPod? Are you using iTunes? If you are then you don't need to do much different....I think. I started my iPod on a windows machine using iTunes and then when we got the iMac it transitioned without me having to do anything. Just plugged in my iPod that I used to use on the Windows machine and iTunes on the iMac recognized the iPod and away I went.

beerguy
12/29/2007, 05:06 PM
From within Itunes you can back up your library to DVD. You can use those DVD(s) to recreate your current library on the winders box

Aimiel
12/29/2007, 05:26 PM
iTunes works on any Apple iPod, regardless of operating system. I use my Windows machine to sync my iPhone all the time. The iPod only has one piece of software.

pnosko
12/29/2007, 06:01 PM
But I don't think you can sync against multiple/different iTunes installations (without a wipe), right?

drauka99
12/29/2007, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11479297#post11479297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by otolith
In regards to mp3s, is there that much difference between 128, 192, 256, or 320Kbps? I am "ripping" my CDs into Windows, and those are the options I have. How much more space does a song take up among the various bit rates?

Thanks for your expertise!

ok everyone seems to have answered your other question (I dunno about the games and other stuff, but i would think it would be fine)
!!!!Check and make sure you are ripping to mp3 nd not aac format!!!!!!
As for the bit rate - I "rip" at 192. The reason being cd quality sound is 128 and I like to up the bit rate a bit to compensate for any falloff during the transfer. Alot of people now rip using either variable bit rates or 256 or 320 since hard drive space is pretty abundant. I see no reason so I've stayed with 192.

Obviously 256k is going to give you a file size twice the size of 128. When I ripper my library at 128 I assumbed 1megabyte per minute of song time. ith 192 its obviously a bit larger than that say 1.5 megs per minute .

Hope this answers your quastions if you have any further questions just pm me and I will do my best to help.

drauka99
12/29/2007, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11479637#post11479637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnosko
But I don't think you can sync against multiple/different iTunes installations (without a wipe), right?

if you transfer the entire library to a new machine (using the same OS) then you will not have the wipe then the reload. I know because I transfered my library to a new computer using this method.

otolith
12/30/2007, 02:05 AM
drauka--thanks for the info about bit rate. I think I'll probably use 192 or 256 for a bit rate. Will definitely use the mp3 format as well.

JR719
12/30/2007, 02:25 AM
To expand on what beerguy said.... When you synch your ipod to a new machine, you'll loose everything on your ipod.

You need to backup your library and install it on the new machine. Your ipod will synch with the new machine and all your music will still be there.

I don't really like going higher than 128 on bitrate. I can't tell the difference, maybe too many concerts when I was younger, or tone deaf, don't know. I can't tell the difference, and the lower bitrate, the smaller file size (more files in the long run).

crrichey
12/30/2007, 03:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that happens with most mp3 players (loosing your music on the device when syncing it with a new machine). I found this out the hard way when I got a new computer and didn't bother to transfer the musci from my old machine to the new one. I had loaned several of my CDs to a friend and when I wanted to listen to the songs I was SOL because everything on my device had to be wiped. Finally got them CDs back lol!