PDA

View Full Version : Aloha Loungers!

VoidRaven
12/29/2007, 04:15 PM
Aloha and a belated Mele Kelikimaka (I know I spelled that wrong) from the Big Island, Hawaii!

The missus and I are just chilling out in the main lounge area of the resort waiting for the taxi (not due to arrive until 1pm and it's only about 11am now) to come and take us to the airport for the LONG flight home. So I managed to get on the resort's wireless and catch up on a few things.

The last two weeks have been spectacular! On week on Oahu in Waikiki and one week on the Big Island in Kona. We've been to Pearl Harbor and Honolulu, hiked up Diamond Head, toured around Waikiki, went to a Luau (sp????), went whale watching (kind of fun until I got seasick), shopped, ate great food, spent more money than we should have, went snorkeling on Oahu in two spots and saw all kinds of sea life, went to Hilo (not sure why), went to the North Shore (no waves....bummer), toured the Dole Plantation, met up with my cousin who works on one of NCL's ships that tours Hawaii...OH! and we took a 2 hour horseback ride across parts of the Parker Ranch here on the Big Island!!! (a REAL ranch Dino....153,000 acres of active ranch. Used to be 250,000 at its peak but they downsized over the years)

It has been a BUSY last couple weeks and I am VERY sad to see it come to an end. This is an amazingly beautiful place...despite it's high prices and poverty rates, though Kona seems more sane than Oahu. Real Estate prices are astronomical (new development going in near our resort, prices starting at the low low price of $999,000.....I'm serious! That's what the sign said! And the lots are MAYBE a tenth of an acre at best)

Oh, and Oahu (Waikiki) might as well be "little Tokyo" or "little Hong Kong". Signs were in both english and japanese, LOTS of asian cuisine (good stuff too!), and half the population/tourists there seemed to be from Japan/the asian continent....compared to Kona where there are not nearly as many. Had dinner with a wonderful japanese couple in Waikiki at a Japanese Steak House. They had just gotten engaged and were on their honeymoon. Wonderful chat despite the language barrier (our lack of japanese and their limited english) but a great time had by all.

YES, I do have pictures. Not nearly as many as I thought I might have but still a LOT. Some I will be able to up-load faster than others. First things first. Need to get home and get settled back in. House is probably a mess. Didn't have Christmas with the families yet so need to do that...probably over New Year's. The missus and I want a few days just to ourselves (versus the last two weeks with the in-laws the whole time...except for a few hours here and there that mrs vr and I got away to wander around the town). May be a week or two before I get to posting but I will try just as quick as I can....I promise!!!

Mrs VR is doing well. Unfortunately she was sick all day yesterday (Friday) and so we spent our whole last day in the room while my in-laws roamed around the town. But that's ok. Better on a day when nothing is planned than on a day when we were supposed to go somewhere. Other than that, only a couple days where she had a brief bout of upset tummy but otherwise a-ok!

Alright, that's all for now. Need to charge up the lappy so we can watch our movie on the plane. Got her the new Harry Potter for Christmas but since Amazon botched the order I just bought it here on the island. We'll watch it on the LONG plane ride home.

First leg, Kona-Kailua to Honolulu. Then Honolulu to Chicago (the LONG flight). Then Chicago home to Cleveland airport where we pick up our car and drive home. Scheduled to be landing in Cleveland (after all the time changes and such) around 9am Sunday morning.

I hope everyone has been mis-behaving in the Lounge! Have to catch up on some threads.

Aloha!!!

dinoman
12/29/2007, 04:41 PM
:lol: Have you seen Brian there?

crp
12/29/2007, 04:43 PM
Have a safe trip home.

dinoman
12/29/2007, 04:47 PM
Btw, just wait and work on them and post all the pictures at one time. Some certain folks get darn near hostile if you only post 2 or 3 at a time :p.

VoidRaven
12/29/2007, 04:58 PM
You don't say Dino? Hostile if not enough pics get posted? I can't fathom the concept! :D

If I had PS here on this lappy I would post up a few to tide folks over but this is mrs vr's lappy for school stuff so I'm only using it to download pics from the memory cards and hold them until we get home and can transfer them to the back-up drive/DVD's.

I'm not sure where BrianD is at here in the islands. I had hoped to have the chance to meet him but 'twas not to be. Taxi should be here in an hour to take us to the airport and then off we go.

Sk8r
12/29/2007, 05:03 PM
Aloha! We're 6" deep in snow here and loving it, but I'll bet those pix are going to be beautiful!

Misled
12/29/2007, 06:33 PM
The weather here is fine. You should arive with about 30-35 degrees.

Where's the pics????

Had to say it.

dinoman
12/29/2007, 08:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11479314#post11479314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven
If I had PS here on this lappy I would post up a few to tide folks over

NO! Don't! I tried! :lol: They just want more! And MORE! And they don't take any excuses for how we must dedicate time to each and every picture so as to make sure its just right. :D

Misled
12/29/2007, 08:26 PM
:lol:

TheBimbo
12/30/2007, 12:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11479263#post11479263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
Btw, just wait and work on them and post all the pictures at one time. Some certain folks get darn near hostile if you only post 2 or 3 at a time :p.

uhhh hmmmm

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11480455#post11480455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman
NO! Don't! I tried! :lol: They just want more! And MORE! And they don't take any excuses for how we must dedicate time to each and every picture so as to make sure its just right. :D

and just whom are you referring to ??? Huh??? Huh??? Huh???

Christy...:lol:

VoidRaven
12/31/2007, 07:14 PM
Well, we are home safe. Arrived back in town around 9am yesterday and within 3 hours we were promptly fast asleep. Took a good 3 hour nap and still crashed by 10pm last night. Jet lag bites...5 hour time difference between Hawaii and here.

Ride back was rough. Mrs VR was still a little ill. Pilot wanted to play rough roller coaster over the mountains on the way back....I've never had so much turbulence on a flight. Looked like a bad movie where the airplane is about to crash. Crazy.

But we're home safe and that is all that matters. Took it easy today, nothing big but a quick grocery trip. Still getting used to the cold again. From 78-82 daily to 20-30's is a shock!

I already want to go back (well, for everything except the long plane ride). Too bad it won't be for a LONG time.

And yes Dino, I know...I'll just have to get some big groups of shots together before posting. But I took a lot with my pocket cam as well as my regular one so I have a lot to go through. Soon! I promise!

Anemone
12/31/2007, 08:11 PM
Hawaii is truly one of my most favorite places in the world. Just getting off the plane in the airport and feeling the humidity and "differentness" says "relax" to me.

My folks had a house in the Kona Pallisades - mauka from the airport. So, I've spent quite a lot of time on the big island. Been horseback riding at Parker Ranch too (and on Maui and Kauai too). :D

Now, kayaking through the old irrigation tunnels (east side of the island in the Waimea area) was a real experience.

I really, really need a vacation. But in the meantime, your pictures will have to suffice. So, get to it!

:D

Kevin

BrianD
12/31/2007, 10:05 PM
Glad you had a great time, VR. Sorry I didn't know/remember you were over here :)

dc
01/01/2008, 12:45 AM
Glad you had a great time. It was one of the funnest vacations we ever took..

VoidRaven
01/01/2008, 11:36 AM
Kevin...so THAT'S where the irrigation kayaking was! We were looking for it to see if we could book it but for some reason we couldn't find the place to go do it. Ah well, have to leave something for next time! I also agree 100% with you about the "feel" of the islands. Despite the LONG plane ride (I don't travel well by air) as soon as you step off that plane in the islands it's almost like an instant "relax" feeling that passes over.

Oh, and I learned all about "Hawaii time". You don't make "appointments"...you sort of make a "generally roughly agreed upon time sort of" kind of thing. LOL! Which was fine by me!

Brian...I didn't remember when you were getting to the islands. I knew it was sometime near the end of our trip.

Crud....gotta run. Mrs VR just yelled from downstairs......tank crash!!!!! Happy New Year to us.....crud.

clavery
01/01/2008, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11497201#post11497201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven
Crud....gotta run. Mrs VR just yelled from downstairs......tank crash!!!!! Happy New Year to us.....crud.

VR, hope it wasn't serious, and welcome back - Happy New Year to you and the Mrs (and baby!).

But we still want PICTURES!!!!!!:rolleyes:

crp
01/01/2008, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11497201#post11497201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven

And he took the time to finish his post :lol:

dc
01/01/2008, 12:53 PM
LOL, yes please update us...

Rock Anemone
01/01/2008, 04:40 PM
I haven't been to Hawaii for many many many years. I usually go down to the Bahamas. We are seriously considering a nice get away to Hawaii this June though.

Can't wait to see pics! :D

VoidRaven
01/01/2008, 08:54 PM
Well, all fish accounted for and most inverts except for about 10 snails which are dead....but ALL the stony corals have bleached and my prized branching hammer coral (which is about 4 years old now, my very first coral ever, and has approximately 11 heads) doesn't look like it will make it.

Not sure what happened at all. Everything was fine as of midnight last night. Only reasonable explanation is some sort of coral spawning event. We can't come up with anything else.

Yes yes I know...pics pics pics....I'm working on them (as in getting them off of mrs vr's laptop to put them on this computer). Hopefully maybe this weekend as we're booked tomorrow night and Friday night and are still getting settled back in at home.

Gotta go check the skimmer.

Oh, and Hawaii....$6 for a gallon of milk! But the ABC Stores can be a lot of fun despite their "tourist" nature. Definitely convenient if you need something quick.