PDA

View Full Version : Don't watch this!

hubris007
12/29/2007, 02:29 PM
So, anyone who knows my usual posting in the lounge is going to swear someone has hijacked my account.

I just had a video sent to me from a colleague that has me so mad there are tears in my eyes. I thought i'd share it.

Before you view this, though, be aware that it is very disturbing and hard to watch. If you are one of the delicate flowers that's going to whine, DON"T WATCH THIS. I am posting it for the likes of nina, allie, uhoh, and all the other bleeding hearts that might make use of it.

Sorry for posting something serious, but i needed to vent.

You've been warned. (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/27/rivero.funeral.vase.gift.ktvk)

Misled
12/29/2007, 03:39 PM
:eek1:

Time to thin the herd!!!!

jpfelix
12/29/2007, 05:45 PM
that's why you should open the package at the store.

pnosko
12/29/2007, 05:52 PM
Are you so upset that you forget you posted this yesterday morning?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11470470#post11470470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/27/rivero.funeral.vase.gift.ktvk

Heh. I can't wait to find out who regifted that.

hubris007
12/29/2007, 07:12 PM
Heh, can you tell i was a little flustered? I forgot to cut before i pasted. That was the cut from the previous post.

Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GhjqBsOCiPs) is the one i was talking about.

jennibee13
12/29/2007, 07:21 PM
i didnt get past 2 minutes, the world is full of those types

hubris007
12/29/2007, 07:34 PM
The part between 4:20 and 8:05 is when I really started seeing red. I occasionally have to deal with these scumbags and they wonder why i charge them full price instead of giving a breeder discount.

pnosko
12/29/2007, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11480090#post11480090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennibee13
i didnt get past 2 minutes, the world is full of those types I didn't even get that far.

pnosko
12/29/2007, 10:45 PM
Hmmm. I got a notification at 10:32 that says catdoc posted to this thread. :confused:

catdoc
12/29/2007, 11:36 PM
I'm like ninja.

I wish there was a way to convince consumers to boycott any pet store that sells cats and dogs. You'll never convince me that any of them are selling anything other than puppy-mill puppies (unless I can see first-hand where those pups originated). Every person who buys a pup from one of these stores is as guilty as the folks profitting from the puppy mills. I can understand feeling the need to "rescue" the pups, but the money goes straight to pockets of the monsters who are running the breeding facilities.

pnosko
12/29/2007, 11:47 PM
I agree.

And I wish I could convince my vet to not do declawing operations.

Satori
12/29/2007, 11:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11481639#post11481639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnosko
I agree.

And I wish I could convince my vet to not do declawing operations.

Unless there's a good reason for it. ;)

TheBimbo
12/30/2007, 12:17 AM
:(

pnosko
12/30/2007, 01:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11481672#post11481672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
Unless there's a good reason for it. ;) You'd have two chances of convincing me a reason was good; slim and none.

hubris007
12/30/2007, 02:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482289#post11482289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnosko
You'd have two chances of convincing me a reason was good; slim and none.

Pnosko's right. We should just refuse to do it so the animal can be killed or sent to the pound.....and then killed. At least it didn't get it's toes cut off.

pnosko
12/30/2007, 02:15 AM
Why would you ever need to kill a cat because you can't declaw it? Please explain. Are you gonna tell me-- as a vet, that you've never heard of no-kill shelters?

hubris007
12/30/2007, 02:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482387#post11482387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnosko
no-kill shelters?

A) You're serious? You seriously think the kind of person who is going to get a cat declawed because it's "destroying the furniture" is likely to make the effort to seek out a no-kill shelter?

Second) You think no-kill REALLY means no-kill?

And D) Gramma's on coumadin and the cat keeps making her bleed. She sure does love that cat. Damn shame she can't enjoy her last year of life with it because it cuts her skin when she holds it in her lap :( Guess granny's just gonna have to die miserable and alone because pnosko's vet won't declaw Prince Kitty McMunchers.

crrichey
12/30/2007, 02:28 AM
The other story is sad however the one you posted in this thread is absolutely hilarious! I don't think I will be buying anything from JCPennys anytime soon lol!

pnosko
12/30/2007, 02:32 AM
A-Yes! It's not a lot of effort-- would you even help them or would you rather make the bucks off the operation?

Second-Around here, I believe it to be so. If you have some insight from a reputable source to the otherwise, I'm all ears.

D-Teach granny how to trim claws instead of wanting to cut off knuckles.

You made your argument, and your chance of convincing me was none.

hubris007
12/30/2007, 02:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482441#post11482441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnosko

You made your argument, and your chance of convincing me was none.

Where did i make any argument?

I was simply conveying to people that Prince Kitty McMunchers got clubbed to death by some little punk kids because he got thrown out in the cold after Granny's kinfolk decided it was too hard and painful for her to get her gnarly, arthritic fingers around the nail trimmers. Since she's the only one who can get within 10 feet of the cat without losing a limb, the "no-kill" shelter wouldn't take him. Luckily, granny had to be put into a home soon after they took away her only companion (and took him to his home in the country *wink* *wink*) so she didn't mind too much. But hey, at least he still had all his digits when they beat him to death.

jpfelix
12/30/2007, 02:43 AM
around here no-kills are few and far between. which means the two reputable ones within 100 miles are full and rarely accept "damaged goods".

pnosko
12/30/2007, 02:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482458#post11482458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007
Where did i make any argument?

I was simply conveying to people that Prince Kitty McMunchers got clubbed to death by some little punk kids because he got thrown out in the cold after Granny's kinfolk decided it was too hard and painful for her to get her gnarly, arthritic fingers around the nail trimmers. Since she's the only one who can get within 10 feet of the cat without losing a limb, the "no-kill" shelter wouldn't take him. Luckily, granny had to be put into a home soon after they took away her only companion (and took him to his home in the country *wink* *wink*) so she didn't mind too much. But hey, at least he still had all his digits when they beat him to death. As much as you want to embellish your hypothetical, it's no excuse for continued mutilation of cats. If you're telling me that you're speaking from experience in your area, then consider this.
1. You're saying Granny would rather throw the cat out if she could not get it declawed. That tells me she has no emotional attachment to the cat. Maybe she shouldn't even have one, and you're willing to declaw it for her? Declaw-- the nice name for knuckle amputation! :mad:

2. If she came to you and asked for declawing, could you not persuade her-- given that she has no emotional attachment to this particular cat that she will discard without options, to go to Petfinders and search for one that that is already declawed. I just did so for Springfield, Il, and there are HUNDREDS! So if there are hundreds of declawed cats in your area already needing homes, then CLEARY mutilating more cats ISN'T THE ANSWER.

3. A cat with no problems other than its owner wanting it declawed is not a problem cat that will most likely end up killed because no one wants it.

Now, can you address my points logically or would you rather continue your hypothetical rants and winks?

Satori
12/30/2007, 08:16 AM
I'll give you a specific example for declawing. When my wife was in the hospital with Leukemia, the chemo lefter her with no immune system. The slightest scratch or scrape could have killed her. She had an opportunity to come home for a month before the bone marrow transplant, but the doctor refused to release her from the hospital until we showed proof that our cats had been declawed. That was an easy choice for me.

catdoc
12/30/2007, 10:21 AM
I set out with the intention of not doing declaws. One day I fielded a phone call from a lady who needed some more advice b/c she was trying to avoid having her cat declawed. The poor woman was nearly in tears over this b/c she did dearly love her cat. Her devotion to her cat wasn't in question, but she was clearly in turmoil. During our entire phone call, in the background I can hear her cat enthusiastically shredding his substrate of choice. This cat sounded manic over the scratching! Granted not every cat is like this, but my point is that not every cat can be trained and even freshly trimmed claws can do a lot of damage (to skin and furniture).

Only one of my own cats is declawed, she was that way when I took her in as a stray. All but one of my other cats have kept all their claws. The one that didn't is the one that lives with my MIL (I call her mine b/c she was one of my rescues from work and I continue to do all of her medical care). When my MIL was being put on blood thinners, I was actually the one who suggested that we declaw Suzy b/c I knew the risk of her losing a good home over this.

Unfortunately,
"A cat with no problems other than its owner wanting it declawed is not a problem cat that will most likely end up killed because no one wants it."
isn't true. Visit any animal shelter and you'll see this proven wrong again and again. :( No-kill shelters sound perfect until they are too full to take in any others. I've had clients try to find no-kill shelters for their own pets, only to be turned away b/c they're full of pets that are unadoptable. I guess I've come to the conclusion that until we can end the euthanizing of healthy pets in shelters, it is better to provide a cat with a good indoor home than to see it euthanized b/c I wouldn't declaw it. Yes, I strongly feel that it would be better not to declaw at all but I also feel that strongly that cats should be indoors and not roaming.

I am not in favor of routinely declawing every cat and kitten I see, but I do see cases in which it is indicated (either for the owner's or pet's quality of life). I'm very tolerant of what my cats do, it's what cats do after all. My new sofa (not yet paid for in fact) has already been shredded in a few places. They've ripped holes in carpeting (so now we have hardwood). They're using the unfinished 2x4's in the basement for scratching exercises. I'm tolerant. My husband, not so much. ;)

BigSkyBart
12/30/2007, 10:42 AM
scratching for an assist:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/behavior/photo/FelineScratch01.jpg

crp
12/30/2007, 10:42 AM
:wave:

Thanks Bart, always a pleasure :D