PDA

View Full Version : Employee Fired for Tackling Shoplifter

dinoman
12/28/2007, 10:12 AM
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- John Schultz says he lost his job at Whole Foods Market in Ann Arbor after he tried to stop a shoplifter from making a getaway. But the company says he went too far and violated a policy that prohibits employees from physically touching a customer - even if that person is carrying a bag of stolen goods.

Schultz says he had just punched out for a break at 7 p.m. on Sunday when he heard a commotion at the front door of the store, 3135 Washtenaw Ave. He said he came to the aid of the manager who yelled for help in stopping a shoplifter. Schultz, the manager and another employee cornered the shoplifter between two cars in the parking lot.

Schultz said he told the shoplifter he was making a citizens arrest and to wait for the police to arrive, but the shoplifter broke away from the group and ran across Washtenaw Avenue and toward a gas station at the corner of Huron Parkway.

Before the man could cross Huron Parkway, Schultz caught up and grabbed the man's jacket and put his leg behind the man's legs. When the manager arrived at the intersection, Schultz said, the manager told him to release the shoplifter, and he complied, and the shoplifter got away.

Schultz said he was called to the store's office the next day, on Christmas Eve, and was fired because he violated a company policy prohibiting employees from having any physical contact with a customer.

Kate Klotz, a company spokesperson, said the policy is clear and listed in a booklet that all employees have to acknowledge that they received before they can start work.

"The fact that he touched him, period, is means for termination," said Klotz.

Schultz said he acted as a private citizen on property that isn't owned by Whole Foods, but Klotz said where the incident happened doesn't change the policy.

"He is still considered an employee of Whole Foods Market regardless of where he was and what was happening," she said.

The police report of the incident doesn't mention Schultz's involvement. It says police responded to the call of retail fraud at 7:09 p.m. and could not locate the shoplifter.

The thief was described as a thin white male, 5-foot-10, in his mid-20s, wearing a black jacket, tan pants and carrying a backpack.

The report says store employees were suspicious when the man walked into the store and they watched as he filled up a basket and then took it into a bathroom. When he came out, his basket was empty, but his backpack looked full. Then he filled up a canvas store tote bag with groceries, and walked out the door.

The manager and the other employee told police they caught up to the shoplifter at the corner of Washtenaw and Huron Parkway. It says one of them grabbed the tote bag away from the shoplifter, and the suspect walked away. The bag contained $346 worth of food and other products.

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five years, most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my break and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

Minuteman
12/28/2007, 10:23 AM
I hope he sues the pants off of Whole Foods. He has rights as a citizen that don't end just because he works for the store... He has a clear right to execute a citizens arrest!

xxaquanutxx
12/28/2007, 10:40 AM
There are definitely grounds for a lawsuit here... or at least getting his job back in my opinion. A CUSTOMER... is:

–noun 1. a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron.

Clearly, since this guy was stealing and not purchasing he is NOT a customer so Schultz did not violate any contract or rule.

I am not a lawyer, but it is just common sense.

Jeffrey Porter
12/28/2007, 11:01 AM
thats always the way.

moogoomoogoo
12/28/2007, 11:18 AM
Sounds like a good old fashioned American hero, and they fire him. Idiots! He could work for me if I had a store.

fussoverthis
12/28/2007, 11:33 AM
Wow. Whole Paycheck is either robbing the people who pay their exorbitant prices at the cash register or firing the people who try to stop a shoplifter. They really are something.

It should say enough that the bag of groceries the guy stole had nearly $350 worth of stuff - IN ONE BAG! I know that's not what the story is about, but come on, Whole Paycheck. Get a grip on the pricing.

A.T.T.R
12/28/2007, 11:37 AM
its bs isnt it. crooks have more rights then anyone it seems and we keep making it easier.

its great
where i work we have this kid who comes in with his baby sitter all the time and usualy tries to steal somthing. we cant ban him with out getting cops involved.

people should be allowed to do more then just arrest the crook smash his face into some shelving while your at it!

this guy should definitly sue and then find some where else to work.

A.T.T.R
12/28/2007, 11:41 AM
its kinda like back in high school on the bus. we had a really nasty and really rasict and sexist bus driver who would make us listen to rap the whole ride while she yelled BS about white people and how bad men are.. well one day after being dropped off and walked away fromt he bus ( now on my driveway) i decided it should be safe to say some stuff back to this worthless thing.

next day at school i got multiple detentions.. WTH. oh and she still has her job!

cwegescheide
12/28/2007, 11:43 AM
Looks like I'm going shopping at Whole Foods!! Wonder if it would look suspicious if i had my suitcase with me. :lol:

Crossbow
12/28/2007, 12:03 PM
I would be very proud to have an employee that loyal. He should win "Employee of the Year" and given a big fat bonus!

Scuba_Dave
12/28/2007, 01:07 PM
He should sue those idiots AND all of the customers should boycott the store

MarkS
12/28/2007, 08:51 PM
While he was on break, I'm willing to bet he was still in uniform and with a name tag on. Not to mention that he did this to assist his boss in apprehending a shoplifter at the store he worked for. If the policy did not exist, he would have had to be paid, by law, for the time it took to do what he did. In other words, he represented the company he worked for during the incident and the incident started on company property. He was bound by that policy.

The Grim Reefer
12/28/2007, 09:54 PM
If he was clocked out for a break,,,,,, dunno. Be interesting to see what happens. $350 for a backpack of groceries? Can't decide if I need to sell my stock or buy more:D

jpfelix
12/28/2007, 10:10 PM
there was a similar policy at the hardware store when i worked there. it helps to prevent the shoplifters from suing the store if they are injured during a capture. needless to say the store was a frequent victim of sticky fingered "customers".

The Grim Reefer
12/28/2007, 10:31 PM
Thats the problem, you use force to keep some dirtbag from stealing and some greezzy lil' scumbucket trial lawyer will come along and make him rich.

I remember in my youth I went to work for Circle K and the manager showed use the new glass in the front of the store. They had a guy bring his riffle in to work with him. There was a big story in the newspaper about the heroic store clerk who wounded the armed robber as he fled the store with the cash. Police followed the blood trail and found the guy hiding in some shrubs in the area.

She said what the newspaper didn't report was the guy had taken less than 300 dollars. It cost nearly 4000.00 to replace the front windows the clerk shot out trying to hit the guy:D

Muttling
12/28/2007, 11:18 PM
Welcome to reality folks.....

Companies don't want you defending their merchandise. It's too expensive for them. Let the punks have the crap, it's not worth one hour of attorney time.

They, of course, like to complain when their crap gets stolen but that is a seperate discussion.

Putawaywet
12/29/2007, 05:29 AM
Oh the good ol days when anyone making a break for the door meant game on! Of course even back then it was technically against the rules, but...

My first job back in the early 80's was a grocery store bag boy.

And those nice hard rubber dividers that are used to seperate the orders? The ones that kinda look like police batons? The one that kinda FEEL like a police baton when you get whacked in the legs 5 or 6 times?

I actually watched a guys legs go out from under him and body surf the asphalt when my coworker nailed him in the back with one at 20 feet on a dead run :D

Brett

crzy4reefs
12/29/2007, 05:45 AM
If i was him i would sue them (he PUNCHED out on a break) means he's not owned by the company at that time and can do what he wants he was a citizen an he made a citizen arrest...........

MarkS
12/29/2007, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11476904#post11476904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crzy4reefs
If i was him i would sue them (he PUNCHED out on a break) means he's not owned by the company at that time and can do what he wants he was a citizen an he made a citizen arrest...........

In one word... No. He still works for the company and represents the company while on company property. As I stated above, it is the duty of the manager to adjust his time to include the incident. Not to mention that many cities / states no longer recognize or allow a "citizen's arrest."

A.T.T.R
12/29/2007, 08:44 AM
he wasnt at the store any more he was on public property when he tackled him.. till then he was following him

dinoman
12/29/2007, 08:53 AM
...BUUUUUT we also must take the OTHER part of the equation in. The policy says as quoted from the article "prohibiting employees from having any physical contact with a customer". It is this policy which he was fired for right?

Well I looked customer up in the dictionary and this is the definition given to me:

cus·tom·er (kŭs'tə-mər)

n.

One that buys goods or services.

:) Therefor a shoplifter is NOT a customer am I correct? Since a shoplifter does not purchase any goods.

MarkS
12/29/2007, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11477148#post11477148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dinoman

:) Therefor a shoplifter is NOT a customer am I correct? Since a shoplifter does not purchase any goods.

True, but stores take a more liberal stance on that issue. Anyone walking into a store is a "customer", even if they don't buy anything. Or steal something.

The Grim Reefer
12/29/2007, 03:07 PM
Clocked out, not on company property and the word "customer" used in the handbook. Lawyer is going to have a field day with this.

I guarantee you Whole Foods have their lawyers reviewing the handbook for changes.

MarkS
12/29/2007, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11478791#post11478791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Clocked out, not on company property and the word "customer" used in the handbook. Lawyer is going to have a field day with this.

I guarantee you Whole Foods have their lawyers reviewing the handbook for changes.

Clocked out, possibly still in uniform, incident started on company property. Yep. A lawyer will try, but they'll fail. He was at fault.

Misled
12/29/2007, 09:02 PM
assist!!!!!

crp
12/29/2007, 09:04 PM
:wave:

Thanks Misled.

Misled
12/29/2007, 09:06 PM
Right back atcha!!!!!:

:wavehand:

jpfelix
12/29/2007, 10:13 PM
what's the world coming to? carrie typed something in her page taking!

Apercula
12/29/2007, 11:11 PM
In the early 90s a grocery chain I worked for had an employee shot by a shop lifter he was still chasing a couple blocks from the store. He was lucky an only minorly wounded, but stores dont want employees involved in physically restraining shoplifters because it opens all kinds of liablilty issues.