PDA

View Full Version : New MH light question

harv1324
12/27/2007, 01:09 PM
Santa was good to me this year, I got a 250w Lumenarc Stealth. My question is when I switch out my Orbit PC light (192 w) are all my corals going to freak out? I have a 65 gal 36 x 18 x 24mixed reef of LPS and some zoos and a couple of Monti caps.

Thanks.

Chris

Engine 7
12/27/2007, 01:29 PM
The amount of wattage isn't that far apart but if you can raise the new halide up a few inchs and then gradually bring it down over the course of a couple weeks you may avoid a light shock to the corals. Also, using a couple layers of window screen over the tank will work removing a layer every few days.

444reefkeeper
12/27/2007, 01:41 PM
Although wattage is similar, take extra precautions because now your bulb is almost 3 times as powerful as your PCs.

Now, do as Engine said. Raise the light, egg crate or similar to knock the light down a little. The corals will let you know if they want more light. I'd start by taking the egg crate off. Then over more time, start to lower the light.

harv1324
12/27/2007, 02:27 PM
How high up should I start off the water and how high should I eventually end up?

chin
12/27/2007, 05:05 PM
I too agree w/ Engine. If you can, raise the light 16-18 in off the water. Its kind of high, but you dont want to burn out your corals, esepcially the monti's. Depending on where they are in your tank, you may need to eventually move them. My bulbs are 10" off the water w/ the L3 shields. Not sure of the spread of light on the stealths, but it should be somewhat similar.

chaseracing
12/27/2007, 05:12 PM
18" seems a little excessive in my opinion. Take this for what it is worth, but I would personally start around 10" from the top of the water and lower an inch or two per week until you are happy.

-=E=-

badazztealcobra
12/27/2007, 05:50 PM
Stupid question (im full of them...) but does your 65g have a center brace in the middle of it ??? My old AGA one did, thats why I ask...

If so, one halide isnt going to be a great setup for it IMO.... Now if it doesnt and youre trying to get 3 feet of spread from one bulb, you may have to be 12 or more inches off the water anyways, in which case I would just use some screen or something to knock down the light some like was suggested earlier...

harv1324
12/28/2007, 10:14 AM
It does have a center brace. I wanted to upgrade and this is part of the long term plan to set up the 120 I have. When I have collected enough equipment to set that up I will get another one. Had to try and spread out the costs and I don't want to have this light just sitting around until I am ready, so I will see what happens.

Thanks.

five.five-six
12/28/2007, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11464986#post11464986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
The amount of wattage isn't that far apart but if you can raise the new halide up a few inchs and then gradually bring it down over the course of a couple weeks you may avoid a light shock to the corals. Also, using a couple layers of window screen over the tank will work removing a layer every few days.

it is much simpler to just use the screen method. the problem with raising and lowering the fixture is that air does not absorb uv all that much like water dose, the only advantage you will get is you will have some light spilling outside the tank..

i am surprised no one mentioned not to add or change carbon while or just before aclimating to a more intense light