PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers Prices

vonodie1
12/26/2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I had to call a plumber this morning and he should be at my house in about 20 minutes. YAY

When you run the washer it makes the toilet gurgle and backs up into the tub and also out the washer drain unless I get there to shut it off.

I called 4 places got one answering machine and 3 different prices, but ended up going with the most pleasant speaking one of all and he was middle priced.

I thought plumbers charged by the hour, but I guess the charge by the job.

I was dreading having to find our sewer line cause this house is about 50+ years old and there is no clean out and we had no idea where the main sewer line ran. I decided to go by the city offices and ask them if they knew and they were nice enough to send someone over to mark them for me. Whew!! I was afraid the main line was in the back alley and that my line would be under the cement patio...am I ever thankful that I thought wrong!

The main sewer line ends up running in the side alley by the carport and we only have gravel down on the driveway and from the side of the house it may be about 30-40 feet to the main.

I sure do hope it is an easy fix, since the least it will cost me is $125.00. Now that we know where the main is, maybe when it warms up we can add a clean out access to the line. ;)

Satori
12/26/2007, 03:25 PM
Ah, sewer lines. They're coming out tomorrow to dig mine up and replace a broken section. To clear the initial main line blockage, it cost something like $85 (warranty covered that one)
The video inspection cost $170, and the repair will cost $1800.

I was fortunate to have a clean-out on the ground. The guy said that if he had to go onto the roof, it would be an extra $100 and the warranty woudn't pay any of it.

drauka99
12/26/2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe while they are out there get the plmber to add a cleanout for you Vonodie, also make sure the 125 isn't just an estimate that has no limits,

Nina51
12/26/2007, 03:30 PM
you have sewer lines on your roof? :confused:

drauka99
12/26/2007, 03:31 PM
Nina its the air pipe (I am assuming) that connects to your sewer line to let out air. My Dad refers to them as "stink pipes"

sometimes if no cleanout is around they can access the sewer line by running the sytem down through the air pipe

vonodie1
12/26/2007, 03:33 PM
That's the one thing I am afraid of .....collapsing line; it scared me even more thinking it ran toward the back alley. All of the plumbing in this house is brittle and in need of replacing to pvc.

Heck a couple of weeks ago when we had the heater problem, the guy told us they outlawed copper natural gas lines years ago and if we had major problems that the gas company would require replacing it before turning back on.

I don't know what next year will hold, but if it seems that we will be staying here...I think I might call my family up for a weekend long replacing of the water pipes! ;)

vonodie1
12/26/2007, 03:41 PM
The pipe on the roof is called a vent pipe. It allows air into the pipes to make drainage easier (I think).

I explained what was happening to this guy and he did say that unless he has problems finding the sewer lines it should be $125.00, but a few things could cause it to go up....like if he is here for a long time or runs into some other problems.

Now that we now where the main line is at and where the lines are actually headed now it really shouldn't be that difficult.

I liked this guy the best out of all of them I spoke to, so if he charges me a little more it would be worth it.

I would like for my husband to have him make a clean out, but I don't know if he will think about it or not.

The good thing about this is that hubby had to change out the drain covering on the tub- that pipe broke when he touched it the other night! :) Now, he should be able to take a bath if he wants to....I don't think I ever will as this tub has to be 100 years old and has about 5-6 raised areas like this ~~~~~~~ (wavy lines) not sure why, but this tubs gottem. hehe

Nina51
12/26/2007, 03:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11459390#post11459390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drauka99
Nina its the air pipe (I am assuming) that connects to your sewer line to let out air. My Dad refers to them as "stink pipes"

sometimes if no cleanout is around they can access the sewer line by running the sytem down through the air pipe

i knew that.

drauka99
12/26/2007, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11459461#post11459461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
i knew that.

sure you did .... u gonna answer the phone?

Nina51
12/26/2007, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11459495#post11459495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drauka99
sure you did .... u gonna answer the phone?

why start now?

drauka99
12/26/2007, 04:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11459684#post11459684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
why start now?

cuz I've been tryin to call you all mornin Toots, first it just rang and rang and rang and rang.............. and then it was a busy signal..........

Satori
12/26/2007, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11459390#post11459390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drauka99

That's right. :)

vonodie1
12/26/2007, 04:50 PM
Hubby just got back to work and it was the $125.00 to fix.

He did end up going through the roof vent and his wife ran a cycle in the washer to make sure working properly, ran water in the tub to make sure draining properly, and flushed the toilet to make sure it flushed properly.

They (hubby and plumber) have a pretty good idea of where to probe for the clean out, but didn't do it today.

Johnny said they were young people with 3-4 kids, so I am glad that we went with them. There disposition on the phone was really good. Both were very pleasant. I would much rather see nice people get my money than not so nice people.

I have my plumbing back! YAY :D