PDA

View Full Version : So what's the menu for Christmas?

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 03:59 PM
Got a spiral sliced ham that won't bust the diet...

We'll start tomorrow morning with waffles and maple syrup, with, probably, bacon.

We'll break out the holiday cookies, for snacks.

We'll be stupid-stuffed until noon. I'll have the ham on heating.

We'll have a fairly healthy supper of ham, green beans, fresh-baked bread with butter, and blueberry cake for dessert...with Barefoot Bubbly, our fave brand of Champagne.

JokerGirl
12/24/2007, 04:08 PM
My parents are driving up from Kentucky and Matt's mom is coming over for them to meet the first time.

We're going to be deep frying a turkey, making stuffing, green beans, and broccoli in cheese sauce. My mom's also bringing a double chocolate cheesecake she made since I didn't get one for my bday. It's gonna be good!

amcarrig
12/24/2007, 04:16 PM
Hubby's laid up so no fried turkey for us this year :( I picked up a turkey breast and will make that with gravy, candied yams, green bean casserole and biscuits.

Misled
12/24/2007, 04:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11450614#post11450614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JokerGirl
deep frying a turkey

Seeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Deep frying is good food!!!!!!

Pork chops w/gravy
stuffin
mashed yukon gold pototoes
brussels

JokerGirl
12/24/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11450680#post11450680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
Seeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Deep frying is good food!!!!!!

Pork chops w/gravy
stuffin
mashed yukon gold pototoes
brussels

Oh I agree! You should deep fry 'em pork chops :)

I was also contemplating in mixing the beans with bacon grease.

TOURKID
12/24/2007, 04:24 PM
tonight is a turkey breast, mashed potatos, stuffing, and corn on the cob, rolls
banana cream dessert (vanilla pudding, pineapples, bananas ect)

christmas:

Filet minon grilled, mac and cheese, vegitarian baked beans, apple pie

told you I had no traditions :) bf isent into huge family dinners (since its my huge fam.. his is so tiny... so i do that after xmas on my own..)
Ill have all the misfits for dinner tonight and tomorrow.. anyone that doesent want or have a family to go home too.

amcarrig
12/24/2007, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11450691#post11450691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JokerGirl
I was also contemplating in mixing the beans with bacon grease.
Don't contemplate...do it! :D Green beans almondine....heat up some bacon grease and toss in your green beans and some sliced almonds, salt and pepper to taste. YUM!

amcarrig
12/24/2007, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11450694#post11450694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
vegitarian baked beans
Recipe please? :)

Toddrtrex
12/24/2007, 05:23 PM
Think I will have a corn dog. :)

Was suppose to drive up to MN yesterday, but there was a big old storm in Wis. The last hour I managed to go about 20 miles. And with a bad back it wasn't going to happen. So I ended up turning around and came back home.

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 05:27 PM
Oh, Todd, call in a pizza with every topping you can think of---store it tonight and heat it tomorrow!

Toddrtrex
12/24/2007, 05:29 PM
I was thinking about doing that too. Still have all the cash I took out to pay for the gas on the trip.

And let me tell you, it was a nasty storm, must have seen at least 30 cars in the ditch, half of them overturned. During a couple of points, I couldn't see more then 20 feet in front of me.

Edit -- Sk8r, just placed an older for a pepperoni and onion pizza, with a side of garlic bread. Thanks for the idea. Going to be a great Xmas dinner left overs. :)

Josh125
12/24/2007, 05:32 PM
It's just Jill and me this year, so we will have waaay to much food. Honeybaked ham, rolls, corn, spuds, green bean casserole and 7 seven layer cake for desert.

Fuzwald gets a huge ham bone which he will promptly take to his crate and eat for hours.

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 06:09 PM
Todd, good for you! There's a great holiday spirit! Pop a few tops on the beverage of your choice, haul out some good dvd's and be snug and warm and sensible!

And hurrah for ham bones!

I think our cats will savor a little ham Christmas day...

Toddrtrex
12/24/2007, 06:12 PM
Yea, I do have a frig full of beer, so might have to have a few of those. Plus it will make my back feel better. ;)

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 06:14 PM
Go for it, Todd! It's a holiday---there are no hours! Feel better, and get that pizza inhouse. If you have any apples and some cinnamon, you can make a heck of a dessert by half peeling, coring, putting butter and cinnamon down the middle, and microwaving until done.
We'll all be here, I assure you---wishing you a happy!

Toddrtrex
12/24/2007, 06:21 PM
Wow, that would be a heck of a dessert, but alas, there has never been an apple in this house. ;) I will just have to have DC cookies for dessert.

And the pizza man just came, so very yummy.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Other/dinner.jpg

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, good! He made it through!
May you have the merriest of Christmases, Toddrtrex...and there is NO body who can quarrel with pizza!

Misled
12/24/2007, 06:30 PM
Todd, that pizza looks good!!!!!

:D

Toddrtrex
12/24/2007, 06:49 PM
And let me tell you guys, it was good. So stuffed right now. And that beer was very cold and very tasty. Have plenty left over for a late night snack and for dinner tomorrow.

And my folks just called ( they drove up to MN two days ago ) Guess my brother and his family are coming to IL on Thursday, so we are going to have a late Xmas on Friday. Plus my Dad ( also my boss ) said to take a half day on Friday and hang out with my brother and his family at the folks house. So all and all it won't be too bad.

dinoman
12/24/2007, 06:51 PM
:D We'll go into my grandpa's tomorrow and have lunch - even though its usually after 1PM by the time the food gets served. Its because there is sooooooo much to cook with my family :lol:. I have a very large family, there will be 20 to 30 lbs of mashed taters made and it'll be GONE by the time everybody gets through. My uncle will bring some of his smoked turkey to go along with the regular oven cooked turkey and ham. There will be gravy, there will be corn (much of my "older" family - grandpa generation are Nebraska corn farmers, so we get good corn), there will be a relish tray, lots of hot rolls, cranberry sauce. And that's just lunch, as far as treats that'll be out before and after (as if anybody is hungry after eating all THAT! :rolleyes: ) - grandpa's peanut brittle, my dad's fudge, cookies, sausage, cheese, crackers, and usually my one aunt makes this shrimp and sour cream and cocktail sauce type dish. THEN, after lunch there will also be pies and ice cream usually an hour or two after...after a few have had time to digest a little of the lunch meal and get some more room in the belly again ;).

Unfortunately I'm going to have to take it easy this year :(. I'm nursing a really bad tooth right now and its making chewing a bit tough. Plus I'm trying to be easy on the sweet and sugary stuff so as to not make it worse before I can get it in and get something done with it.

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 06:58 PM
Awww for the bad tooth. Gotta get that fixed. But most things won't hurt it! Watch the cranberry [acid] and the sugar, and have a great time!

mrferrit
12/24/2007, 07:22 PM
for me
wake up early strap kayaks to top of the car head to cyn's familys for presents head out to the inter coastal and gulf for a nice kayak trip
take a swim, kayak some more then back to her parents house for a shower and dinner then back home NA eggnog for us also =)

The Grim Reefer
12/24/2007, 07:38 PM
Prime Rib and ham, Broasted tatters and who cares after that. Corn I think and ceasar salid. Pecan and Pumkin pies from Mrs Smith's (why bother to make from scratch, you cant beat these) and cool whip, lots of cool whip:D

Crossbow
12/24/2007, 08:08 PM
Pigs in a blanket, homemade sausage and beef lasagna, stuffed manicotti shells, a nice Merlot, caesar salad, and finish the day off with chocolate pie.

dinoman
12/24/2007, 08:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11451437#post11451437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Awww for the bad tooth. Gotta get that fixed. But most things won't hurt it! Watch the cranberry [acid] and the sugar, and have a great time!

:D For once its kinda handy to be picky! I don't like cranberries of any sort, don't like gravy, don't like mashed potatoes, and the list goes on. So the list of things I do eat is pretty selective. I just gotta stay away from anything too crunchy and try to keep the tooth as clean as possible. Fortunately with some simple OTC pain meds it doesn't hurt until I bug it or apply pressure (which is why its hard to chew anything too much ;)).

Scuba_Dave
12/24/2007, 08:30 PM
Foood

ThaNgBOm321
12/24/2007, 09:17 PM
grillin some baby back ribs tomarrow.. but for today we are having porkchops with some mater sauce... n rice... i dont know what els im going to eat with the ribs on xmass though...

im also contemplating if i should break open the Absolute and Cap'n.... .. im thinking i will but im not 100 %.. im kinda hurting.. darn them curls... !!!! ( did do any for a long time.. and all in a sudden i felt like doing a supper bicept workout... .. i over did it.. )

should i let it heal or drink the pain away... hum...

HAPPY X MASS!!!!!!

YzGyz

redawg
12/24/2007, 09:37 PM
I say drink the pain away...

We're having ham, fresh sauteed green beans, macaroni & cheese, butternut squash, and braised potatoes. Then apple pie, and homemade s'mores.

We'll be having dinner, not lunch, so first there will be summer sausage, cheese, crackers, dip, and chips.

Plus wine for me, Guiness, and Heineken. (and probably diet coke...)

redawg
12/24/2007, 09:48 PM
MMM... my husband just brought my dinner home for tonight. (I know it's almost 10:00, I don't go to bed until late!)
Ribeye, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and creamed spinach...nice and healthy!

xxaquanutxx
12/24/2007, 09:56 PM
Well we have a HUGE feast out for tomorrow... it is a little non traditional from my normal christmas dinners with mom, but it is still family and that is all that really matters right!

2 turkeys
1 ham
1 roast beef
greens
potato salad
stuffing
biscuits
baked beans
corn on the cob
apple pie
ice cream
christmas cake
apple sauce
cranberries

That pretty much sums it up... I have a large family. 12 brothers & sisters. My mom wont be with us this christmas though... :0( she is florida and I wasnt able to get time off from work to go there.

MandM
12/24/2007, 10:53 PM
Yesterday I did a big turkey dinner for the kids and now they are all back home. Today I roased a Christmas goose for my parents.
Instead of mashed taters I did fingerling potatoes, red and gold, boiled in broth with rosemary then drizzled with goose grease and salt/pepper and roasted. Yum. Christmas pudding with custard to finish off.
Tomorrow is leftovers and old movies. Wierd not having any kids home to open presents tomorrow morning. :(

ThaNgBOm321
12/24/2007, 11:02 PM
ok.. im coming over!!! to both places!!!!!! ill get a few henies.. ( i dont like giuness.. it test likeplastic to me... ) then a little bit.. then to the next house... oh n/m... im stayong.. the feast isn't till tomarrow!!!!!

YzGyz

WinM70
12/25/2007, 08:53 AM
Deep Frying a turkey to go with all the fixen's.

clavery
12/25/2007, 09:27 AM
Last night was the MILs - she's usually not the best cook but did alright last night with a roast beef, some really good corn pudding, twice baked potatos and my christmas cookies for dessert. Today we're heading to my sister's house - baked ham, green beans almondine, salad, sweet potatos, more of my cookies, and a refrigerator cake.

Tomorrow I button my pants with a rubber band...;)

crp
12/25/2007, 03:55 PM
We had a bunch of drinks and snacks last night with friends. Stayed up until 1:30. I drank 2 1/2 bottles of champagne. Not a good idea when you have to get up in the morning. Lucky for me, the kids slept in until 9:00.

We had breakfast pizza about 11:00. I have a prime rib in the oven now along with baked potatoes, broccolli and salad.

LauraCline
12/25/2007, 06:22 PM
We had Brown sugar crusted honey ham, pecan sweet potato bake, stuffing, green bean casserole, scallpoped potatos, cranberry orange relish, rolls, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. I also made a meat/cheese/veggie tray.

TheBimbo
12/25/2007, 09:42 PM
Mom cooked a ham- smashed taters- gravy-buttered noodles-corn-pickled eggs and beets-potato salad (my favorite) and I took some cookies over but I think we were all tooo stuffed for those :lol:

Christy...

JokerGirl
12/25/2007, 10:10 PM
Here's the Double Chocolate Cheesecake my mom cooked

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/IMG_0082.jpg

saltwater2642
12/25/2007, 11:56 PM
Whoa back up a few

vegitarian baked beans?

Whats that? Arent beans a vegitable as it is? What do you add to make it nonvegitable?

I missed something