PDA

View Full Version : Toolbar 7.1 virus. Anyone have experience with it? (more than 5 lines)

shouldabenacowboy
12/23/2007, 07:49 AM
So a while back I called upon the lounge to recommend me a free anti-virus software to install on my new (dell refurb) desktop. I installed AVG, got it up to date and away we went. I installed Yahoo's toolbar which has an anti-spy software on it along with AVG's anti-spy software for good measure......all of this was about two weeks ago.

I have used the desktop a total of a dozen times going to places like yahoo mail, google mail, reefcentral and careerbuilder.com (looking for another new job). So yesterday there is new toolbar installed and these system warning pop-ups about virus software and spyware..bla..bla..bla.

I have looked online for help, but I don't want to install a bunch of software unless I have to to remove this bassturd.

Have any loungers had any personal experiences removing this? If so, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

SBC

Satori
12/23/2007, 08:14 AM
Lol, Yahoo toolbar is considered spyware by some scanners.

MarkS
12/23/2007, 11:35 AM
The only toolbar I trust is the one that comes built into the browser. Some of these are very nasty. There are orifices in Windows that Microsoft isn't even aware of, and it is these deep, dark recesses that these toolbars install their junk. The last time one popped up on my computer, it took hours of manual cleaning, AFTER the scanner was through.

fat-tony
12/23/2007, 01:11 PM
first thing to try is add/remove programs. believe it or not, sometimes they do list there. someone listed spybot search and destroy as something that has removed it, make sure when you install it, you also update it before scanning

shouldabenacowboy
12/23/2007, 02:11 PM
There are no odd programs there...I already looked. The computer is new, so there are no programs installed yet, I think I'm just going to wipe it clean and start over.....it will take just as long.

SBC

Satori
12/23/2007, 02:31 PM
Can you post an example text of one of the warning messages?

wdt2000
12/23/2007, 02:58 PM
If its coolwebsearch get this
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html