PDA

View Full Version : Stocking new fish...

fahadahmed
12/22/2007, 02:59 PM
Looking to stock fish in my newly re-established 125 FOWLR tank. I would like to get you opinions before I go buying.

I am thinking of adding fish once every week or two. How many can I add at one point?

I am considering the following fish that also had previously.

Semi-larvatus Butterfly
Larvatus Butterfly
Imperator Angelfish OR Majestic Angelfish
Flame Angel
true perc vs. false perc QTY: ???
Blue Hippo Tang - small / medium QTY: 3

hybridgenius
12/22/2007, 03:29 PM
With the size of those fish... I wouldnt add more than ONE each week. Id put the angels in last too btw.

fahadahmed
12/22/2007, 03:31 PM
how do these fish do in captivity? Larvatus? Majestic? Imperartor?

hybridgenius
12/22/2007, 04:58 PM
They do well. They are fairly easy fish to care for. Once again, don't purchase anything unless you have researched it thoroughly.

fahadahmed
12/22/2007, 08:16 PM
last time I got Semi-Larvatus (RED SEA) I couldn't get him to eat and he starved himself to death. My wife really really wants that fish. What do I need to do to make sure he lives?

WuHT
12/22/2007, 09:55 PM
Hmm normally (the few times i've seen) ...all the golden butterflys (semlarvatus) at the LFS will follow your hand (almost as much as the damsels/clownfish) <--- which is usually a good sign that they're all eating. Any skulkers should be ignored.

If you choose a semilarvatus that eats from the get go, you should be in good shape, just make sure that he doesn't get bullied/outcompeted too severely early on and it should do fine.

DamnPepShrimp
12/22/2007, 10:05 PM
Just make sure the butterfly is eating prepared foods before you buy it. Do you plan on upgrading? An emperor will out grow that tank, majestics are smaller, but I'd recommend a bigger tank for a full grown angel. Go with a pair of clowns. I'd only do one tang not three as well.

LisaD
12/22/2007, 10:17 PM
I'd be sure to quarantine the fish. Adding that many over a relatively short period of time can be a recipe for disaster as far as disease is concerned. New arrivals at the LFS are likely to be stressed and possibly sick, even if not showing symptoms. If you don't have a QT (you really should) see if you can get the LFS to hold the fish for you for at least two weeks. Holding in an isolated system (where new fish aren't added) would be best. One of my LFS will do this for me, but I've been a good customer for many years.

lesleybird
12/27/2007, 04:26 AM
For a 125 the majestic is best because it only grows to 10 or 12 inches. The emporer gets too big at 18 inches. You also could do a Scribbled angel or a Goldflake angel a Chrisus angel in there (only one in a tank that size), as these all only get to about 10 inches. I have a Majestic and a Scribbled in my 190 but would not put two into the 125. The Majestic can be a hardy fish if you get a healthy one and make sure he is eating before purchase. Lesley

mattsilvester
12/27/2007, 06:15 AM
I would start by reducing your list a little bit..... those fish will do great for a while in a 125 but they all get big, and grow fairly quickly and in 18months time you'll find yourself overstocked and battling with water quality...... which is important as some of those fish really will not tolerate poor water quality for long.

So, from your list, I would comment as folows:

Semi-larvatus Butterfly - nice fish, will get very big.
Larvatus Butterfly - very difficult species, best avoided, even by experienced aquarists - maybe choose a nice substitute like the red back (from red sea)
Imperator Angelfish OR Majestic Angelfish - emporer much too big for a 125, ultiamtely.... majestic may eventually outgrow it, but you are talking 3-4yrs down the line.
Flame Angel - nice fish
true perc vs. false perc QTY: ??? - a pair
Blue Hippo Tang - small / medium QTY: - 3 is too many - withing 18-24months these fish should be 6-8" ...... if not they are not being cared for properly..... and they are very active.

So.... I would get the following, in this order:

A pair of tank bred "perc" clowns.
Red backed B'fly
Semilarvatus B'fly
Regal tang (about 3" is ideal)
Flame angel
Majestic angel (small adult - about 3" would be ideal)

You could also look at adding a few smaller fish.... hawkfish, gobies, blennies, grammas, wrasse...... that sort of thing.... just add them before the flame angel ..... shoudl be ok with the majestic though.

I would advise slight caution when introducing the flame angel and majestic.... flames can be quite aggressive, and majestics are everything but..... so a smaller flame (2") and a larger majestic (3"), and not too much time before introductions.

In terms of time inbetween..... it depends on your set up really, more than anything. If you are talking a week or two between introdutions, then you are looking at a fulyl stocked tank in 6-12 weeks, which is MUCH too quick..... your asking for trouble at that rate..... it should be 3-4 weeks for a new tank.

HTH

MAtt

fahadahmed
12/27/2007, 12:52 PM
Must appreciated the detailed reply!