PDA

View Full Version : DIY Exhaust vent

blulegend
11/13/2002, 06:42 AM
I recently added a 250W MH to my 15 gallon and had some heat issues in my tank and my room.

I had two fans in the canopy but did not have them blowing across the water. In fact, the light bulbs (MH and NO) are shielded by a piece of Lexan to make a compartment for the heat to stay inside the canopy and not get to the water. It also protects from spray.

Anyway, heat would still get into my system much quicker than with my PC lights. My MH is mounted 9" from the water. And on top of that, my room turned into a sauna if the door was left closed when the lights were on. This added even more heat to the system. My temp rose to 84*F in 4 hours and kind of topped off. But my room was around 78-80.

I picked up a bathroom vent duct kit (outside vent cover, 5 feet of 4" vinyl duct, aluminum connector that runs through the wall, 4" to 3" adapter, and 2 plastic clamps) at Home Depot for $8. I also got an extra 8 feet of 4" metallic duct to reach the wall from my tank.

Then I drilled a 3" hole in my canopy and cut flaps into a 3" aluminum duct connector and put it in the hole. I didn't even screw it down since the ductwork connected on back of the canopy and kept it in place.

Cutting through te wall was a bit more tough. I only had a 3" holesaw. So I used it and then used my dremel to cut the rest on the inside to 4 inches. I tried using the holesaw on the outside and the cement just killed the bit AND the pilot quickchange adapter ($25 down the drain). So I just took a hammer and flathead screwdriver and made a nice round hole following a circle I drew. Cut through the chicken wire in the outside wall and the tube connector fit perfectly.

The vent cover looks nice and it has little flaps that open a little when the fans are on inside. I sealed the cover on using some latex acrylic caulk I had for indoor/outdoor. This keeps rain from getting in the wall and also makes it more airtight. On the inside I made little flaps and riveted it onto the connector tube and screw them to the wall. Then I caulked the inside.

Turned one fan around so both fans blow inward and so far so good. My room has cooled down significantly and my tank temp is more steady. Combined with my heat exchanger I made and I hope my temperature will be rock solid. I'll report back after a few days.

Pics of vent: http://lens.liteserv.com/list.php?exhibition=10

Heat exchanger thread: http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127153

Zephrant
11/13/2002, 12:05 PM
Looks great!

I've been thinking of doing the same, but my tank is on an inside wall. I'll have to go though the floor and outside from the basement. I'm not comfortable cutting a hole in the carpet yet though. :)

Zeph

blulegend
11/13/2002, 06:45 PM
Mine is on an inside wall too, but only about 6 ft from an outside wall.

If the tank is near a corner, drill near the corner so it will be easier to hide the hole in case you move your tank or something. Just make sure you don't cut through any beams. :D

I forgot to mention in my thread that I checked for studs before drilling.

Living Art Aquatics
11/13/2002, 11:22 PM
I have done something like this on a larger scale and it seems to work well. I have never thought of using this on a smaller tank, but think it is a great idea. Good job!