PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pumps

hawkfish21
12/21/2007, 09:25 PM
Well, my Rio pump I use to stir salt has died. I have a Mag 7 that I will use instead but it was from my 55 and is in need of a bath. What does everyone use to clean their pumps? I though I read an article about using vinegar but can't find it. Thanks.

jonthefb
12/21/2007, 09:27 PM
vinegar is your go to guy! Its acidity will eat up all the calcium deposits on the impeller without harming anything!

cheers~!
jon

hawkfish21
12/21/2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Jon! Do I soak it in pure white vinegar or do I need to dilute it?

MX#28
12/21/2007, 09:47 PM
Use pure white vinegar and microwave it, first. Works like a charm!

hawkfish21
12/21/2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks!

fisheebill
12/21/2007, 09:53 PM
Deltec Ezeclean works awesome

LooseHip
12/21/2007, 09:53 PM
yep white vinager works like a charm..

artful-dodger
12/21/2007, 11:05 PM
but feel free to dilute and soak overnight...works just as well (and a lot cheaper when cleaning big things like tanks or tall skimmers)

hawkfish21
12/21/2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

Leandrae
12/22/2007, 12:36 AM
Don't let it soak too long in vinegar though, even diluted. I left mine soak for a few days and the rubber suction cups and gaskets swelled up beyond use.

That said, I still use vinegar, I just don't get lazy anymore and leave em in there more than a few hours at most.

spleify
12/22/2007, 10:51 AM
FWIW, I dilute my vinegar about one to one. Mix up a couple of gallons in a bucket, and let the pump run over night, it will look like new.
HTH
Spleify

artful-dodger
12/22/2007, 01:28 PM
good point on the rubber...if you really want some fun throw a sponge filter in the mix (no, don't really--it will dissolve and stick to everything else in the bucket)

So, yes do remove rubber items like feet and O-rings (silicone O-rings and seals are fine) before the acid soak.

On a couple of related topics...

If you want to sterilize an item after an illness or when acquiring used equipment, use a diluted solution of chlorine bleach (10:1 water to bleach) for a soak. (Don't use the vinegar or other acid at the same time as the chlorine...one at a time with a freshwater rinse in between...) The chlorine will evaporate fairly quickly, but I always do a thorough rinse and let the item air dry at least overnight.

If you need to clean an item of biological filtration (sponge filter/pre-filter, bio-balls, rock/shells, etc.) don't use fresh water or leave exposed to air. Use the "dirty" saltwater from a water change. Just rinse or soak the item in the bucket of tank water...use plastic scrub brush if needed and then rinse in a second (and possibly then a third) bucket of used saltwater and return the item to your tank or sump. This works pretty well for rocks that have become covered in bubble algae or cyano for instance.