PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser with additives

bradlyallen1
12/19/2007, 06:41 PM
After reading the Randy Holmes Farley article in the RC chemistry forum regarding kalkwasser, I would like to try making a 30 gallon trash can full of RO/DI kalkwasser (should last me about 2 weeks) with the appropriate amount of additives (strontium, iodine) and use a peristaltic pump to top off my evaporated water. My goal is to be able to ignore the need to top off water and use additives on a daily basis. Is it ok to put additives in kalkwasser? Will the whole mix be ok sitting for up to 2 weeks? Any informed opinions are appreciated.

virginiadiver69
12/19/2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think you should add anything but the lime to your water. Regular water changes most likely takes care of those other things anyway.

surfnvb7
12/19/2007, 06:56 PM
i'm not sure about adding the stuff to the limewater mix......but i know plenty of people who do the kalk and trashcan method with a dosing pump. even some TOTM's are operated this way.

a very good dosing pump for this is the LM3 if you can swallow the price tag.

twon8
12/19/2007, 07:04 PM
i use a 55 gallon plastic drum on one tank and a 37 gallon on the other, they work great,

usplastics.com has them for under 100 shipped, and they come with a heavy lid.

you should keep it covered but other than that you're set

twon8
12/19/2007, 07:06 PM
and dont worry about strontium and iodine. i've never checked for them or dosed them in 4+ years. if something is wrong with your tank it might be interesting to see their levels, but other than that I can't see when i would test for them, dont' have the kits, not going to pay for them. you certainly shouldn't be adding something you can't test for.

bradlyallen1
12/19/2007, 07:22 PM
Thats a good point.

cmoresps
12/22/2007, 03:32 AM
Make sure you google calfo and alkalinity/kalk, too much kalk too fast can (cough cough) play havoc on your calcium levels