PDA

View Full Version : More Planning; Thoughts on Fuge

TammyLiz
12/15/2007, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone. I didn't get my tank drilled before my friends baby was born so things are on hold a little.

And I've been thinking. I know; its dangerous!

Here is what I've been thinking about:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1271949

I wondered if I should have posted it in here since you guys have been so helpful. As an afterthought I thought maybe a link might be almost as good.

Hopeful Reefer
12/16/2007, 07:29 AM
I've always been leary about an elevated sump/fuge for the simple fact that it is nearly impossible to get the flow rate dialed in the same between the feed up to the tank and the overflow back down...I've read/seen more floods that is worth the headache with this method...

Could you do something in the bottom like the guy did where the sump for equipment is behind the tank and the viewable fuge on the bottom is open? That looked cool...

Charlie Davidson
12/16/2007, 02:36 PM
To me a fuge and a slump are 2 diffent things.. (but they can be combined)
I once built a fuge ( with help of someone that owns a great store now :) ) It was on shelf located higher than tank.. The fuge-- operated great!! Never a problem... I was using it to generate pods to feed my tank. (Mandrian goby)
A small pump fed the fuge, and a drain line allowed water back to slump ,near to my return pump.
If you size and place drain in proper location, they are great!

TammyLiz
12/16/2007, 09:40 PM
It does sound like the guy (maroun.c) has a ton of issues with his that I wouldn't want to deal with. What did you think of my syphon idea a few posts from the top?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/tammyliz/sump-idea.jpg

I agree the viewable fuge on the bottom was cool, too. I think I'd put the fuge to one side and the sump to the other side behind a door since I wouldn't want the bins in the back due to the location of this tank--it'd be noticeable.

angelscrx
12/17/2007, 06:53 PM
A sump and a Fuge are two different things to me as well. The fuge or Refugium is where you can keep macro algae or frag or injured fish. A sump is where you would store equipment such as the skimmer, calcium reactor return, and monitors. Most folks do a combo deal like I have with the fuge on the left in the first chamber and sump in the next chamber over flowing to the return pump area. Pros and cons to both I guess.

TammyLiz
12/17/2007, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11405566#post11405566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by angelscrx
A sump and a Fuge are two different things to me as well. The fuge or Refugium is where you can keep macro algae or frag or injured fish. A sump is where you would store equipment such as the skimmer, calcium reactor return, and monitors. Most folks do a combo deal like I have with the fuge on the left in the first chamber and sump in the next chamber over flowing to the return pump area. Pros and cons to both I guess.

I don't understand why this has come into question? I see things the same way and I think most people do.

In the diagram I drew above, you can see I'm really talking about both, though.